Thread: Shoulder Injury page

badbunny is offline Senior Member

Shoulder Injury

Primal Fuel
    So I pulled my shoulder about 4 months ago on a climbing dyno - stupid I know....anyway it was in a sling for a week and after about 4 weeks of rest it was fine.

I have been doing Marks protocol for a few months now and my shoulder is sore again. Not as bad as it was i.e. I can raise it above my belly button without screaming, but it is aching. I think the press-ups are hurting it.

The thing is, most of the press-ups, pull-ups and plank etc use my shoulder so I am struggling to find something to do and I have ended up just doing squats, I am paranoid that all the work I have put in is trickling away again as I rest. Is there ANY arms exercise I can do without activating my shoulder?
    Last edited by badbunny; 06-01-2012 at 06:47 AM. Reason: stoopid spelling
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badbunny View Post
    So I pulled my shoulder about 4 months ago on a climbing dyno - stupid I know....anyway it was in a sling for a week and after about 4 weeks of rest it was fine.

I have been doing Marks protocol for a few months now and my shoulder is sore again. Not as bad as it was i.e. I can raise it above my belly button without screaming, but it is aching. I think the press-ups are hurting it.

The thing is, most of the press-ups, pull-ups and plank etc use my shoulder so I am struggling to find something to do and I have ended up just doing squats, I am paranoid that all the work I have put in is trickling away again as I rest. Is there ANY arms exercise I can do without activating my shoulder?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    shoulder injuries need rest, unfortunately. but you can squat, so all is well! seriously, you won't lose muscle that quickly, especially if you're still taxing your system with the squats, and eating well.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I agree with jakey. Best to avoid any whole upper-body exercises that use your shoulder muscles and allow your shoulder injury to heal.

If you are concerned about losing muscle strength in your upper body, then I suggest you try some isolation exercises like bicep curls using free weights, or chess press and pull-downs (if you have access to a gym). I'm sure that isolation exercises will help you maintain your other upper body muscles.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

SachieJarod is offline Junior Member
    Most people think that the shoulder is a ball and socket connection much like the hip joint; nothing could be further from the truth. The shoulder is made up of two main bones the humerus the large bone in the upper arm, and the scapula the fan shaped bone of the upper back.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Thanks for posting! Completely different feeling doing it this way. I always had pain increasing on the lift up regardless of if it was pull ups or chin ups. Glad that I can do these without the pain.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Thanks guys for all the help. I did do my workout yesterday but the pushups started to hurt and I could only do one handstand and the plank finished me off, so I'm going to stop being stubborn and realise I can't do any work which involved my shoulder. Today it is stiff and sore again so I need to employ that little used commodity......patience

As for the video, very helpful, realised that I am pulling up incorrectly so that possibly explains the re-injury, but I need to re-watch it a few times as I don't really get it properly and I don't want to be in this position again
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badbunny View Post
    So I pulled my shoulder about 4 months ago on a climbing dyno - stupid I know...
    Okay, first things first, dynoing is never stupid!

Did you have the shoulder imaged in any way (x-ray, MRI)? It might be worth doing if this persists and your insurance covers it just to know what you're dealing with.

I definitely agree with everyone else though, just rest it and don't worry about losing upper body fitness. Healing up is priority, and the more you mess with it the longer the process will take. Besides, you'd be amazed how long it takes to really lose fitness. A month or two off won't hurt you at all.

And I love that video js290 posted.