Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skipping - what are your thoughts? page

Nibbler is offline Senior Member

Skipping - what are your thoughts?

I use it as a 'sprint' method. I like it, I find it strangely energising and digustingly tiring and hard work at the same time. I would say I don't do it enough... but where does it fit into PB? OK as a sprint? What if I slow down... too much like cardio?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i'm not sure you can count skipping as a sprint. sprinting should be super high intensity that can only really be sustained for about 20 seconds; i can't imagine skipping working at that level in a muscular or metabolic sense. it can certainly be difficult, so i would say slow things down and call it moving slowly, or mix in some skipping on a nice long walk for a good heart rate boost.

When I skip at maximum capacity I can't do it for very long or I'd have a heart attack or fall on my face. It is incredibly high intensity. But that's just how it is for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
    When I skip at maximum capacity I can't do it for very long or I'd have a heart attack or fall on my face. It is incredibly high intensity. But that's just how it is for me.
    in that case, have at it. i have a strange image in my head of high intensity sprinting, but i know that it can work the body pretty good. and if you are reaching that 90% max heart rate, then keep it up.

noreaster is offline Junior Member
    Just when you think you've heard it all, that is a very interesting idea. Good for you for being creative and trying new things. I would try it if my knee was not sensitive to impact work. You must look incredibly happy to one who might witness it.

I think I probably look like I watched the video in 'The Ring' but the challenge feels pretty good.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Skipping is a very good option. You can warp up intensity like crazy from stepping gently over the rope to letting it cut the air with a swoosh and going all out to skip. I used to skip a lot when I was trying boxing. And I see a lot of very fit men in the gym skipping as a part of their workouts, including my role model there in the gym, a guy who does absolutely amazing things.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i'm not sure you can count skipping as a sprint. sprinting should be super high intensity that can only really be sustained for about 20 seconds; i can't imagine skipping working at that level in a muscular or metabolic sense.
    You need to try it! I use skipping as my sprint now and again, its bloody hard work, why do you think Boxers use it in their routines.....seriously just try it, I'll bet you can't do more than 20 seconds of high intensity skipping (once you get past the wrapping it round your legs every third pass )
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by badbunny View Post
    You need to try it! I use skipping as my sprint now and again, its bloody hard work, why do you think Boxers use it in their routines.....seriously just try it, I'll bet you can't do more than 20 seconds of high intensity skipping (once you get past the wrapping it round your legs every third pass )
    i just realized that there is a cultural dialect transfer problem with me here. 'skipping' as i've always known it is sort of hopping jog where you swing your arms and smile widely as you pass through a meadow with deer and bunnies running beside you. now, skipping rope is some bad ass exercise. i still prefer running, but that may have a little bit to do with a lack of coordination with the rope.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I skip sometimes, one leg at a time (not jump-rope). If you jump high enough it becomes a work out, but nothing like sprinting! It's still a nice way to cover a lot of ground in a hurry, and I feel it's extremely underutilized in many cases.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast