Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do overweight people get hungry? page 3

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    That lustig video is such garbage. He is saying that if you get pumped full of insulin it will bring your maintenance calories down a large amount. If this were true, wouldn't a diabetic who doesn't make enough insulin or isn't having the insulin work properly lose weight?

Commander Quan is offline Junior Member
    Gary Taubes talks about this in his books. Adipose tissue isn't a just a layer of fat that extra calories get stored into like leftovers in the fridge until out bodies get hungry enough we break down and pop a Tupperware of meatloaf in the microwave. It's constantly in a state of accepting and releasing energy. The problem is when insulin is too high our adipose tissue is storing more calories then it lets out. If you eat a 600 calorie meal and half the calories get put into fat storage your body only has 300 calories to run on, once that gets depleted you body tells you to eat more because with the high insulin the calories in fat are still locked away. So you eat more, and if you insulin is still too high the process gets repeated.

With low insulin levels your adipose tissue works like it was designed to with energy going in and out constantly. If you don't eat for a couple hours or a day your adipose tissue is still releasing energy. This is why a lot of people find its easy to skip meals or to fast without feeling weak or ravishingly hungry at times when they would have been ready to eat anything in sight pre primal.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Supposing you have your leptin and ghrelin and all of that in perfect order, there is still an advantage to getting hungry despite having fat stores because your body requires more than just calories. It uses vitamins and minerals in its everyday functioning and needs to replace damaged proteins, and to do that it needs new food coming in.
    This. Many obese people are malnourished. Malnourishment and undernourishment are very different phenomena and can be totally uncoupled for someone consuming an industrialized diet.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    This. Many obese people are malnourished. Malnourishment and undernourishment are very different phenomena and can be totally uncoupled for someone consuming an industrialized diet.
    Great distinction.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    That lustig video is such garbage. He is saying that if you get pumped full of insulin it will bring your maintenance calories down a large amount. If this were true, wouldn't a diabetic who doesn't make enough insulin or isn't having the insulin work properly lose weight?
    T1D patients often experience dramatic weight loss until they get insulin again.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Great distinction.
    Thanks. Ah well, occasionally, I may talk some sense.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Even Type 2 patients will dramatically lose weight if their blood sugar rises too high. My sister, a Type 2, had an undiagnosed kidney infection, and for a diabetic, any infection in the body will cause blood sugar problems. She didn't know why her sugars were so high, and before she was able to get an appointment with her doctor, she'd lost almost 25 lbs--in less than two weeks.

By the time she was diagnosed, she had to be hospitalized.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Thanks. Ah well, occasionally, I may talk some sense.
    I'd say you have a pretty good track record, by my reckoning!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    I'd say you have a pretty good track record, by my reckoning!
    Thank you. I feel flattered.

Time to climb up the wooden hill to bedfordshire ... have to take my darling little bunny to the vet tomorrow to get his teeth checked out as well as getting his myxamotosis jab.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Unexplained weight loss is a symptom of diabetes, especially for Type 1.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast