Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do overweight people get hungry? page 2

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I know that sugar really plays havoc with my hunger signals. Before primal i was eating sweet cereal bars, ice cream, mousses etc and i never found one satisfying, i was always reaching out for a second. The hunger was real belly hunger and i used to get sugar crashes - feed-me-now-i've-gone-dizzy etc.

Now that sugar is excluded from my diet those hunger pains and light headedness have gone away. It's like a miracle. I never would have thought it was possible. So i believe if you've got sugar in your diet it messes with your hunger signals. Also, so do 'diet' varieties i've heard, as the body was expecting sugar and got some unknown chemicals, so still wants that sugar you promised. I can have a bit of fruit but i've got to be careful not to have more than two pieces of fruit, and definitely not in place of a meal or i'd be hungry 2 hours later.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Leptin.

Warmbear is online now Senior Member
    I hate doing a mee too but yeah before PB, I was a every 3 hour gotta eater. I was deeply ravenous and quickly became hypoglycemic if I did not eat. I could not pass a Mc dee's I was starving sick to my stomache hungry all the time. and 350+ lbs.

Now no matter how hungry I get the panic is mostly gone and all in my head. No more sick to my tummy OMG I am going topass out.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatyoudoing View Post
    This is not meant in any offensive way, but I was just wondering; what is the use of becoming hungry when you are overweight? Wasn't there this guy who fasted for like a a year swallowing only vitamins etc?
    I never read an antire article on this guy but I thought he remained healthy the whole year. So why would an onese person become hungry?
    The Skinny on Obesity (Ep. 3): Hunger and Hormones - A Vicious Cycle - UCTV - University of California Television
    INTERNAL STARVATION

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Interestingly, obese people (BMI >30) actually have HIGHER levels of ghrelin, the hunger hormone, than normal weight people. So they are actually MORE hungry. It's definitely NOT a mental thing, although oral fixation sure plays a role for a lot of people. Why are the ghrelin levels higher? I have no idea, but hopefully in the next decade or two we'll find out - we've only been aware of ghrelin for a decade or so. I recently spoke to a brand-spanking-new gastroenterologist who had never even heard of ghrelin until her fellowship exam - that's how new it is.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    everyone is broken in a different way.

From age 3 - 15 i was constantly hungry because my mother only fed me when she felt like it not when i told her i was hungry. From that my body learned that food was not going to come when it asked for it and so my hunger signals turned off
    from 15-35 I never got hungry. i didnt know what it felt like. and i ate on average 800 kcals daily with a ratio of 25%P 10%F and 65%C

at age 35 I started working with naturopaths to fix my fat. after one Nuerocranial Adjustment ( moving the sphenoid bone, not the massage stuff ppl think about, but the ballons in the nose that the army does for all head traumas) I started to feel hunger. it was crippling. and at that point i was 475lbs.

By the time i did my first round of HCG my hunger would leave me dizzy and sick to my stomach and it didnt matter what i ate or when etc.

HCG stopped my hunger and regulated some of my cycles, when i came off my first round i felt full and sated for the first time in my life. however i was appalled at the amount of food it took. i was eating about 5000k daily to get to full.

Then i started Primal and i noted that the type of food mattered. ( steak works chicken doesnt, chicken makes me hungry)
    Then i went Ketogenic and i noted that additional glucose gives me the hungries.

looking back what i posit is this.

my HPA was seriously screwed. it is healing.
    My liver was seriously screwed. it is healing.

Most people do just need to shut their fraking cake hole.

some dont.

the thing is, YOU can never tell. Once i decided that everyone is truly doing the best they can with what they have i was able to let go of judging them, i mean there but for the grace of god go I. and if i had a better childhood i woudl be a better person. if i had more money i woudl be a better person, if i had more knowledge, more resources, more stability, more love, i woudl be goddamnedfuckingawesome.

till then I
    Man it was really nice reading this, even though we do not have similar experiences, but thanks for sharing and congrats on all the positive steps you have made so far!

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Supposing you have your leptin and ghrelin and all of that in perfect order, there is still an advantage to getting hungry despite having fat stores because your body requires more than just calories. It uses vitamins and minerals in its everyday functioning and needs to replace damaged proteins, and to do that it needs new food coming in.
    Interesting point!

Grizz is offline Banned
    Because the stomach has a mind of its own, and is saying FEED ME!!! FEED ME!!!!!!!
    The stomach will not take NO for an answer.

Grizz

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Two reasons off the top of my head:

1. You might still have plenty of fuel around your middle, but you ran out of vitamins and minerals.

2. Psychological hunger is a withdrawal symptom of an addiction to dwarf hybrid wheat.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Lustig is a hack. "Eat less and exercise more is not doable." Bullshit.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast