I really want to start sleeping on the floor. I live in an apartment with hardwood floors and Im not sure where to start with choosing padding. So far Ive just tried sleeping on a simple thin blanket with a pillow but it was way to uncomfortable and didn't work out.

What is something common, healthy, and comfortable people use to sleep on the floor? Comforters? Camping bed? Air mattress? Hay/straw mat? Some kind of sleeping mat? Im not even sure what ANY of these things are, or what they're made of or how they work.

The only other thing I've used to sleep on the ground besides a blanket was a crappy sleeping bag that didn't really fit when I was homeless and sleeping in a park for a couple nights. I did manage to fall asleep for a good 4-5 hours though one night and I didnt feel too bad afterwards so I think I could make this work.

I've also been interested in Japanese futons, but Im looking for something similar and domestically available that I could try out first before ordering one and trying that.

Im also open to other creative ideas.