Thread: De-Veganize a Recipe! page

onalark is offline Senior Member

Wink De-Veganize a Recipe!

Primal Fuel
    Okay, so most vegan recipes are just non-vegan recipes that have been veganized, and this idea is a bit like putting something into Google translate, then re-translating it back into the source language, but every now and then I find a fairly original vegan cook. Also, dinner was really good last night and it's all because I de-veganized a recipe.

This was my latest victim:
    Jerk Sloppy Joes With Coconut Creamed Spinach | Post Punk Kitchen | Vegan Baking & Vegan Cooking

And the substitution was pretty easy. Instead of gluteny doom (aka seitan), I used a pound of raw grassfed beef and cut the coconut oil for the "sloppy joes" in half (the beef was 70/30 and had plenty of fat in it and I didn't feel like eating an oil slick).

The end result is delicious. A little too sweet from the maple syrup (I'd cut it in half next time), but served on top of the coconut creamed spinach with a side of sweet potato spears? Wonderful!

As my husband put it -- the reason it's so highly spiced is probably precisely because the source is vegetarian. When you're eating tofu and seitan, you kind of want flavor on your food.

We normally eat protein + veg for dinner, but every now and then I do want something a little more interesting. This was really good, took about 45 minutes on a weeknight, and I highly recommend it.

Anyone else got a favorite de-veganized recipe?

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    As my husband put it -- the reason it's so highly spiced is probably precisely because the source is vegetarian. When you're eating tofu and seitan, you kind of want flavor on your "food."

lol fixed

awesome, it looks really good

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    ha ha "gluteny doom"!!

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JennaRose View Post
    lol fixed

awesome, it looks really good
    Hah! Thanks.

The creamed coconut spinach, though -- that's real food, vegan or not!