Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why did Totalitarian Agriculture take hold 10,000 years ago? page 3

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by orielwen View Post
    I suspect it's our own fault. Why did all the megafauna disappear at the end of the Pleistocene? Why did almost all the large marsupials disappear from Australia? Why did the giant birds disappear from the Pacific islands? What happened to the dodo?

We had to turn to agriculture, because we'd killed off much of our preferred food.
    You are also forgetting about the mammoth.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...xtinction.html

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    Common Era is meaningless outside the Christian context. Other religions employ their own dating system. Look at an Arabic coin sometime, and you will see something like "2005 ~ ١٤٢٦" on them, the latter part being 1426AH.

AD and BC are only common to Christians. Trying to pretend otherwise is delusional.
    I don't think anyone's trying to pretend the dating system wasn't invented by Christians, I think it's just intended to make non-Christians a little more comfortable with using the nomenclature by not forcing them to write "in the year of our Lord" (which is what AD means) or "before Christ" on secular documents that have nothing to do with religion. It would be pointless and confusing to change the actual number of the years at this point since it's so heavily entrenched, but a change of abbreviation is easy to make as you go. As an atheist I'm certainly more comfortable with it.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    You are also forgetting about the mammoth.

Humans were final cause of woolly mammoth extinction - Telegraph
    Um, he said "megafauna".
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Um, he said "megafauna".
    Wouldn't that include a mammoth?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123