Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NY tries to ban large soda sales- gotta hear from my fellow Grokkers!

Hybrid View

NY tries to ban large soda sales- gotta hear from my fellow Grokkers!

Last edited by Siren; 05-31-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Banning anything is bad in my opinion.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I disagree. Banning things that cause harm to uninvolved parties(see: secondhand smoke) is completely legitimate and justifiable. That doesn't apply in this case, however.

I don't think banning large sodas makes sense - This is one of those "it's your money, spend it how you want" situations. It'll also just lead to stupid crap like "buy one get one free" deals on smaller sodas.

Now on the other hand, Bloomberg in the past also had a proposal to limit/prohibit the use of food stamps on soda/sweetened beverages. In my opinion that's a perfectly legitimate proposal, as when someone(or an entity) is providing assistance, it's perfectly reasonable to have the expectation/stipulation that said assistance is not squandered.

I think public officials taking a proactive interest in public health is a good thing. However I think this particular effort is misguided.
    Last edited by jsa23; 06-01-2012 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsa23 View Post
    I disagree. Banning things that cause harm to uninvolved parties(see: secondhand smoke) is completely legitimate and justifiable. That doesn't apply in this case, however.

I don't think banning large sodas makes sense - This is one of those "it's your money, spend it how you want" situations. It'll also just lead to stupid crap like "buy one get one free" deals on smaller sodas.

Now on the other hand, Bloomberg in the past also had a proposal to limit/prohibit the use of food stamps on soda/sweetened beverages. In my opinion that's a perfectly legitimate proposal, as when someone(or an entity) is providing assistance, it's perfectly reasonable to have the expectation/stipulation that said assistance is not squandered.

I think public officials taking a proactive interest in public health is a good thing. However I think this particular effort is misguided.
    I don't think banning works but this isn't really just a case of being able to spend your own money on the poison of your choice. Healthcare costs associated with these soda-filled crap diets (diabetes, heart disease) are already sky-high and it will only get much worse. That's a bill we do all end up paying.

I'm all for keeping face-eating LSD banned! Otherwise, government, stay out of my business, k?
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

I'm not going to read this whole thread. There's no point because the first reply is the 100% correct answer. I world where everyone is free to buy soda and cigarettes is better than a world where soda and cigarettes are banned. If we let the government simply ban everything they deemed unhealthy, steak, bacon, eggs and butter would be illegal. Think about THAT.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

While it may be unhealthy, banning something because it is deemed unhealthy is bad. We wouldn't be able to eat the way we do if we let governments do so.

canio6 Guest
    Well, I guess I will get my exercise when I walk up to the soda fountain to refill my coke a few times.

I'm with Goldsmith, banning is not the way to go.

agreed. the minute the government starts telling us what we can and can't put into our bodies, the whole thing starts to... oh wait... lol

+1 for treating people like grown ups and letting them make their own decisions.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal