Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NY tries to ban large soda sales- gotta hear from my fellow Grokkers! page 3

Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    People who buy the large size at a place with free refills deserve to have the large size banned.
    See, I disagree here. Food, in any form, cannot be banned. It's not like smoking, where second hand smoke is actually harmful to those around the user. This is a stretch, here, but it's kinda of like the First Amendment in the U.S., where we have freedom of religion. While some don't believe in religion, God, a god, gods, or anything, if one of the religions, or perhaps those who do not believe in religion are right, it doesn't matter because it is that individuals belief. Food is the same way. We have people saying this is right, this isn't, and while sugars and stuff like that are proven to have ill-effects on the body, what is to say someone says too much butter, fat, meat, or whatever is bad for you and then they decide to ban it?

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    People who buy the large size at a place with free refills deserve to have the large size banned.
    Right because a place with medium sized drinks and free refills would totally solve that problem.

KevinHope is offline Junior Member
    It's absurd. Instead of a single large soda, people will just buy multiple small sodas for a net gain in sugar intake and an increased cost. People shouldn't be drinking that stuff, but the government shouldn't mandate diet.
    I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see.~John Burroughs

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Yes, because it worked so well for prohibition. Who wants to make bank and join my soda-smuggling gang?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    As a New Yorker and a liberal, who hates soda, let me see. 1) yes, the libertarians have a point here. People should be free to poison themselves. Banning a "size" of something is stupid. It's like banning packs of 40 cigarettes but not packs of 20.
    2) as part of the city's anti-sugar education campaign, I think it's awesome. There used to be these totally nasty anti-sugar ads with gobs of human fat exploding out of soft drinks. So it's good to see them trying to promote public health in this way, same thing as cigarette ads / taxes / warning labels etc. Over decades, it saves thousands of lives. People are mostly sheep, face it, get real. Just because you don't think you are, doesn't change the basic facts. Most people get their nutrition advice from a billboard.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    Right because a place with medium sized drinks and free refills would totally solve that problem.
    I think the point sbhikes is trying to make is that paying extra for a large soda when you can get all the refills you want makes you an idiot as you are effectively paying more for the same unlimited amount of soda just because the cup is bigger. I also think she was being sarcastic and more pointing to the idiocy of people rather than commenting on the proposed law itself.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I think the point sbhikes is trying to make is that paying extra for a large soda when you can get all the refills you want makes you an idiot as you are effectively paying more for the same unlimited amount of soda just because the cup is bigger. I also think she was being sarcastic and more pointing to the idiocy of people rather than commenting on the proposed law itself.
    People who buy the large size at places with free refills do so in order to walk out of the place with more soda in hand.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    People who buy the large size at places with free refills do so in order to walk out of the place with more soda in hand.
    some do. I have seen plenty 'supersize' just to finish half a cup and toss the shit away. Perhaps I should re-evaluate and say, "Many who buy a large...morons."
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I'm libertarian and I agree- get those nasty things out away from the public. Ban them, do it!!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast