Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: NY tries to ban large soda sales- gotta hear from my fellow Grokkers! page 10

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Well, I just got carded at Whole Foods for buying kombucha. I guess someone is worried that minors might drink 20-30 gallons of kombucha at a sitting to get drunk?
    It's just another busybody at the state. There are a couple of bottles of kombucha which are above 0.5% alcohol by volume and therefore the state requires it to be treated as an alcoholic beverage.[1]

[1] Carded for Kombucha? | Oakland, Berkeley & Bay Area Culture | Rachel Swan

VeloCity.X is offline Senior Member
    See now *that's* what I'm talking about! Complaining about Bloomburg's proposal is a f'ing waste of time. It's sh!t on top of sh!t. Bloomburg's making a misguided attempt to make a crappy system better, the typical liberal response. And the gal's video was the typical conservative (and far too many at least self definied libertarians) response of attacking this new layer of sh!t while ignoring all the built up sh!t below. Penn (as he so often is) is right and calling out the whole steaming pile.
    Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

All Libertarians, including Julie, call shit on the whole steaming pile. Just because she didn't make a five hour long video explaining everything wrong with government doesn't mean she agrees with everything else government does.

She sounds like a mouthpiece for Mitt Romney.

Quote Originally Posted by VeloCity.X View Post
    She sounds like a mouthpiece for Mitt Romney.
    Whatever, dude.

She talks about voluntaryism, owning your own body, taking responsibility for your own actions. Romney, on the other hand, wants to send DEA agents out to raid Starbucks coffee houses.

Maybe her cuteness is affecting your brain.

Primal Bill Guest
    Grok - it was a solid attempt, but people like velocity will NEVER get it. They want and need govt to take care of them

fortuitousbounce is offline Junior Member
    Ban it all I say!! Isn't a government's job to protect those who can't make good decisions? Heroin, not legal. Soda, NOT FOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by fortuitousbounce View Post
    Ban it all I say!! Isn't a government's job to protect those who can't make good decisions? Heroin, not legal. Soda, NOT FOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Bill View Post
    Grok - it was a solid attempt, but people like velocity will NEVER get it. They want and need govt to take care of them
    Ha! Not at all! I just get tired of all the fat bashing saying that it's some sort of moral failing that people are drinking this stuff. I'm pointing out that, at least in that video, she's on her pedestal looking down her nose at the weak-willed fat folks who can't wean themselves from the 32 oz HFC bottle. And I agree Bloomburg's just as bad on his pedestal trying to save the poor dumb fat folks who obviously can't think for themselves.

We're to this point not from a complicit government but from an active government *creating* this situation. I hear too much whining about 'oh no, not another layer of regulation' and not enough 'look at where our current regulations have gotten us.'

I feel a bit of sympathy for Bloomburgh, actually. (And this probably extends to a lot of liberals) He recognizes a problem but is doing *exactly the wrong thing* to solve it. There's a lever there and he's pushing it the wrong way.

But when the complaints are only leveled at Bloomburg's proposal, implicit is that the status quo is somehow better or at least preferable. It's not. It sucks. It's bullshit. And complaining about Bloomburg only is a shuck and jive distraction from the real problem.

And if you want to eliminate Glass-Steagall and the FDIC, and the Fed (agree w/ the Fed, don't doubt you on the others, just not educated enough) I think at the same time you need to eliminate corporate 'person-hood' and make owners, officers, and board members of companies individually and separately liable for company actions.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloCity.X View Post
    And if you want to eliminate Glass-Steagall and the FDIC, and the Fed (agree w/ the Fed, don't doubt you on the others, just not educated enough) I think at the same time you need to eliminate corporate 'person-hood' and make owners, officers, and board members of companies individually and separately liable for company actions.
    The FDIC removes the free market regulation of a bank taking too much risk with your money. In a free market, if a bank is making wild bets, you do not deposit your savings there. However, with the FDIC, you no longer care what risks the bank is taking because your money is insured by the government.

Therefore the FDIC made it such that banks can take whatever risks they wanted to with depositors money, so the statists had to also introduce Glass-Steagall as a band-aid for the FDIC which separated the risk taking from the deposit banks.

Thus, if you want to remove Glass-Steagall, you have to also remove the FDIC.

And, indeed, a corporation is a creation of the state, and is enforced by the state.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast