Thread: carb measurement anyone :) page

captain joel is offline Member

carb measurement anyone :)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello

I am finding it hard measuring the amount of carbs I intake.

Generally I will have smoked salmon, eggs and cottage cheese as well as yogurt with berry's for breakfast

A Big ass salad with some meat or fish for lunch

Finally meat or fish with veg and maybe wild rice or a sweet potato for dinner.

Roughly how many carbs would you say this is?

Could someone give me an example of a days diet of 50 to 200+ of carbs would look like.

cheers

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    Use a website like fitday.com to enter what (and how much) you eat and it will give you the breakdown of carbs, fats, protein (as well as micronutrients).

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Really hard to guess when you don't list quantities of anything. Do you think a 2-lb sweet potato has the same carbohydrate content as a 6-ounce sweet potato?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by captain joel View Post

Could someone give me an example of a days diet of 50 to 200+ of carbs would look like.
    Suggest you plug it into fitday, as post #2 said. However, if you want a very rough guess, if those are average serving sizes I'd expect that would add up to around 100 g.

FrankiG is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by captain joel View Post
    Hello

I am finding it hard measuring the amount of carbs I intake.

Generally I will have smoked salmon, eggs and cottage cheese as well as yogurt with berry's for breakfast
    Assuming plain (unsweetened) yogurt it is likely about 10g of carbs. Not sure on cottage cheese (google it). Berries might be 10g if a small portion, potentially more if a big portion. Salmon and eggs would have no carbs IIRC.

A Big ass salad with some meat or fish for lunch
    Depends on what veggies are in the salad - but remember that animal protein generally does not have carbs so the meat/fish are a zero. At MOST (if you have a dressing that includes carb ingredients and carby things in the salad like nuts/dried fruit) then you would be at 20g-25g for the meal (and that isi only if you have a LOT of 'garnishes' as your salad ingredients).

Finally meat or fish with veg and maybe wild rice or a sweet potato for dinner.

cheers
    The sweet potatoes would be some more carbs.

Generally I am thinking you are getting 30-50g of carbs per day but no more. If you want to eat more carbs you have to include more thigns like fresh fruit/dried fruit/starches/nuts in your diet.
    Teacher and Homeschooler
    One husband of 9 years,
    Two kids (6 & 3)
    Pregnant with #3, due this summer

Going primal resolved my anxiety symptoms!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankiG View Post
    Assuming plain (unsweetened) yogurt it is likely about 10g of carbs. Not sure on cottage cheese (google it). Berries might be 10g if a small portion, potentially more if a big portion. Salmon and eggs would have no carbs IIRC.

Depends on what veggies are in the salad - but remember that animal protein generally does not have carbs so the meat/fish are a zero. At MOST (if you have a dressing that includes carb ingredients and carby things in the salad like nuts/dried fruit) then you would be at 20g-25g for the meal (and that isi only if you have a LOT of 'garnishes' as your salad ingredients).

The sweet potatoes would be some more carbs.

Generally I am thinking you are getting 30-50g of carbs per day but no more. If you want to eat more carbs you have to include more thigns like fresh fruit/dried fruit/starches/nuts in your diet.
    Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it.

First of all I generally eat over a hand full of nuts per day(soaked and then dried/roasted). I dont eat sweet potato everyday but if i do its 1 normal sized sweet potato. I eat rice a few times a week (wild/black red and brown).

Yogurt is plain and unsweetened (organic). Berries include raspberries, blueberry and strawberry.

My salad consists of lettuce, carrot, beetroot, tomato, spring onion, seaweed, spinach, celary etc . The dressing is normally a home made dressing, vinegard, extra v, and mustard.

So I have my nuts down, I did not realise they were carbs. How much fresh fruit should I be eating. Now I have increased it a bit, so rather than just the berries I will have 1 or 3 extra pieces of fruit in the day. I thought dried fruits are very high in fructose, its almost near impossible to find them here in London without sugar.

When you say Starches, are you referring to yams and sweet potatoes etc?

I consider myself an Athlete. I train for capoeira twice a week which is a total of 3 intense hours. I work out once a week and do sprints once a week. I am very active on weekends. I am doing fine energy wise but its scary that I am on such low carbs, as I DO NOT NEED TO LOOSE ANY WEIGHT. Therefore I want to bring it up to 150. Please could you advise me.

Peace and love

captain

JazzyOwl is offline Junior Member
    I belong to another site in which I log everything I eat right now. I am working on losing weight. So until I get a handle on understanding how many carbs everything has, this helps alot!!!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think if you are unwilling to measure and look up the carb counts of your own food yourself, the next best thing is to obtain a list of low-carb foods. Then you will have an understanding that in general, if most of your foods are coming from that list, you are probably lower carb than you want to be. So then eat some potatoes and fruit or even dates, dried fruit and rice.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Hello comrades

I am not asking you to do the work for me in fact forget telling me how many carbs im eating

I will try and use that website I was kindly introduced to. I just wanted to know ways in which I can increase my carb in take in a primal friendly way. Why are dried fruits a good source of carbs?