Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it Primal? Carl's Jr. Low Carb Burger (...YES!!! *) page

akm3 is offline Member

Is it Primal? Carl's Jr. Low Carb Burger (...YES!!! *)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Alright, That is "yes" with a *. I haven't investigated a lot of foods yet, but this one is by far the most paleo/primal fast food I've run across yet. Here is the Carl's Jr. Ingredient guide (KUDOS TO THEM FOR MAKING THIS AVAILABLE!) Carl's Jr. Ingredient Guide

Carl's Jr. (aka Hardees) Low Carb Six Dollar Burger. Here's the ingredients.

The Low Carb Six Dollar BurgerTM
    (Revised 06/14/11)
    INGREDIENTS:

Beefsteak Patty, Angus Black Angus Beef, Salt, Sodium Phosphate, and Spices.

American Cheese, Pasteurized Process Allergens: Milk and milk products, Soy protein Cultured Milk, Skim Milk, Water, Cream, Sodium Citrate, Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Sorbic Acid (preservative), Acetic Acid, Enzymes, Artificial Color, Soy Lecithin.

Pickle Chips, Dill
    Cucumbers, Water, Vinegar, Salt, contains less than 1% of: Calcium Chloride, Alum, Sodium Benzoate (preservative), Natural Flavors, Polysorbate 80, Yellow 5, Celery Extract.

Ketchup
    Tomato Concentrate made from Red Ripe Tomatoes, Distilled Vinegar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Salt, Spice, Onion Powder, Natural Flavorings.

Mustard
    Water, Distilled Vinegar, Mustard Seed, Salt, Turmeric (Color), Paprika, Spice.

Mayonnaise Allergens: Egg and egg products Soybean Oil, Water, Egg Yolks, Distilled Vinegar, contains less than 2% of: Salt, Sugar, Spice, Mayonnaise
    Seasoning (Dextrose, Modified Cornstarch, Natural Flavor and Extractives of Paprika), Citric Acid, Calcium Disodium EDTA added to protect flavor.

Lettuce, Iceberg

Tomato

Onions, Red

Alright, this one is actually pretty good. But there are caveats. You have to order it minus ketchup, minus mayonnaise, minus cheese. That's the "*" in my title. After you do all that, you'll probably wish you were just intermittent fasting, but nevertheless...

The ingredient in the beef that is concerning is Sodium Phosphate. That is a medication! As a food additive, here is a link. That is obviously NOT Primal/Paleo, but we are talking shades of gray here (not that awful twilight fan-fiction tripe). Sodium Phosphate

For me, I would order this one (minus mayo, minus ketchup, minus cheese) without guilt if I was in a pinch and just too hungry to wait for 'real' meat. The other obvious negative is this is certainly not grass fed, pastured cow meat from a happy healthy cow. Still, it beats KFC Grilled chicken in my opinion.

/edit: Forgot to mention that it has 2g of Transfat which is concerning as well. Here are the nutrition facts:
    570 calories, 380 from fat. 43 grams of fat, 19g saturated, 2g transfat
    1390mg Sodium
    9g Carbs, 5g Sugar, 1g Fiber
    38g Protein

I'm confident most of the transfats and sugar would be removed by getting rid of the cheese, ketchup and mayo.
    Last edited by akm3; 05-31-2012 at 09:01 AM.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    This is exactly what I've ordered for the past couple of years if fast food/drive thru was my only option - no cheese, no ketchup, no mayo. It's still delish and the best option I've found. "Spices" is the loaded term here and I'm sure I don't want to know what all it entails, but my body has never revolted (like it does when I've eaten a food containing hidden MSG) and that's usually the best guide.

Relativelygood stuff!!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Karma is offline Senior Member
    In-N-Out 3X0 (three meat patties + no cheese), protein style (wrapped in lettuce), Animal style (meat is grilled in mustard and they add pickles). You would have to nix the "special sauce" (1000 island dressing basically). I eat these on the road a lot!

vtphoenix is offline Member
    I would keep in mind, too, that that's a boatload of salt, and probably treated angus beef, which at this point, doesn't have to be separated out in ingredients. Remember the "pink slime" thing? Yeah, it's in the angus beef, too.

"spices" could also include msg.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    It's hard for two generations who were raised on "fast food" joints to come to the realization that none of them are any good, nor should they be trusted. Prepare ahead or wait til you get home.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    As said above "prepare ahead of time", and you can add your own cheese(raw milk or goat). I do this once a week, and usually grill btwn 6-8 patties 1lb each. It takes about 15 minutes in total(prep included).

Timthetaco Guest
    In regards to the trans fat, none of those ingredients contain trans fat, so it's just CLA or vaccenic acid in the beef. No worries about that.

boxcarguy07 is online now Senior Member
    there's a lot more ingredients that should have been bolded than just the ones you did, IMO. what is primal about preservatives and artificial colors?
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

akm3 is offline Member
    Fair point. Obviously none of this fast food is Primal as defined by Mark Sisson. I'm just trying to highlight the 'best of the awful choices'. Hopefully we begin drive these companies to provide us with truly primal options in the future. They will if we demand it.

Obviously I could have bolded almost every ingredient. I just picked the few hot button button items to watch out for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast