Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 20% non-PB? I'm thinking Carbquick page

Chatty is offline Senior Member

My 20% non-PB? I'm thinking Carbquick

Primal Fuel
    I try to always eat PB and never intentionally use the "20% cheat-deal."

I'm torn about it now, though.
    I bought a Fry Daddy to do some fried food and searched for a batter/coating technique.
    Hubby loves gravy and pizza.
    Lots of reasons, but I came up with this:

I ate a bit of gravy once (ordered the wrong thing in a restaurant) and gained 2.5 lbs. OVERNIGHT.
    Last night, I made gravy with Carbquick (Bisquik low-carb alternative), ate a bit, weighed the next day and no weight gain -- even dropped 1 lb.

I know it's not primal. I don't plan to make baked goods with it because I refuse to use artificial sweetener (and what good is a muffin/cookie etc. without sweetness?) Besides, I have a tendency to overeat baked goods.

I decided Carbquick will be my 20% non-PB for frying coatings, a bit in main dish recipes as a thickener, gravy, etc. Carbquik tastes great and browns/thickens just like flour.

I figure this as part of my 20% cheat is much-better than candy or breads!
    Ok -- bash me for it! LOL

Tova Industries Carbquik

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    I'm only a couple months in, so feel free to ignore. However, why not just use the regular bisquick? At least there won't be quite so much fake stuff in it? Or better yet, make your own batter...then you know exactly what goes in it..
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

oxide is offline Senior Member
    YIKES!

Ingredients: Carbalose Flour (Enzyme-Enriched Wheat & Wheat Protein, Wheat Gluten, Wheat and Vegetable Fiber, High-Protein Wheat Flour, Canola Oil, Salt, Emulsifiers, Enzymes, Ascorbic Acid, Sucralose, Calcium Propionate), Palm Oil, Buttermilk Powder, Baking Powder, Egg White Solids, Lecithin, Salt, Natural & Artificial Flavors.

1 cup = 37g Carbohydrate; 27g Dietary Fiber; 10g NET Carbs

Low Carb Products & Ingredients - Page 1

Looks like Big Ag is on the fake-food wagon again. They go through all sorts of contortions to make their crap acceptable, when the real solution is to throw it out entirely. If you ask me, this stuff is worse than regular flour!

By the way, Sucralose is an artificial sweetener. It's the chemical name for Splenda.

I guess if you're only using it for breading, well, you have your 20%. But why not just use potato flour instead?
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JennGlob View Post
    I'm only a couple months in, so feel free to ignore. However, why not just use the regular bisquick? At least there won't be quite so much fake stuff in it? Or better yet, make your own batter...then you know exactly what goes in it..
    So what's your 20% non-PB?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    How about cornmeal? I admit to not being southern and not understanding the appeal or need for fried meats coated in breading, so ignore if cornmeal won't work. I just remember as a kid we used to bring it to fry our fish when we went fishing.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    What is 20%??? How do you measure it?? As far as I'm concerned there is no 20%. You aim for 100% knowing that 20% is going to be out of your control or fall in the margins of primal acceptance. Unless you grow, kill, render or prepare it yourself, its not going to be 100%. I know when I eat out it going to be cooked with canola oil. I know the garlic bread was made with margarine, not butter. I know I can't eat organic and pastured and grassfed every time. Even when I'm not eating primal, I still choose to eat real, unprocessed food as much as possible. I avoid/limit the ingredients that make me feel like crap (wheat & oils, excess chocolate & sugar). Just because its not primal doesn't mean it has to be garbage.

Eat real food.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    How about rice or potato flour? I think those would give similar results and are gluten free.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I feel like given that it has wheat flour and gluten, why not just use flour or try a few more alternatives.

I think a big part of Primal is stepping away from highly processed foods and this just seems no better than wheat flour... and really seems even worse.

icz
    icz is offline Member
    I'd make the real deal and call it 20% and avoid the Frankenfood.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    80% - Mammoth brains and marrow, Grubs that feed on rotting trees grown in non-depleted soil
    20% - Grass-fed beef, whole-fat raw dairy, organic produce from a grocery store

OR

80% - Grass-fed beef and lamb. Pastured pork, poultry, and eggs. Local fresh produce.
    20% - Conventional meats, Full-fat dairy (preferably raw/clean), conventional produce, fruit, nuts

OR

80% - Conventional meat and poultry. Store-brand bacon. All fruits and vegetables. Nuts.
    20% - Legumes. Any dairy. Occasional grains and seed oils.

My point - It's a sliding scale. When I started this, I considered things to be part of my 80% that I won't touch now. They spent time in the 20% category as I refined my definition of "Primal" and eventually fell into the "super-occasional/never" category.

So, good on you for everything you're doing. Don't take this as a criticism, but a suggestion you may want to disinclude certain things from your 20%.

If so, most of those things appear to be on the ingredient list of your Carbquik.

I've seen some decent-sounding "Primal" recipes for all manner of fried things and breadings and pizza.

Tapioca starch is a better choice than that fake stuff. Rice flour. Potato flour. Those are reasonable 20% items. Carbquik is an abomination.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast