Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: No pretending to like tofu any more!: Eric's primal transformation page 8

en2ec is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I did intervals today for my swimming workout. I did 4 easy laps as a warmup. Then I did a quasi-Tabata interval with the crawl. I say quasi because without a trainer it is impossible to time your swim for eactly 20 seconds. Instead, I swam the length of the pool at an all out pace, which I think takes me around 25 seconds. I'd then rest for 15 seconds. I did 8 rounds. Then I swam another 4 easy laps to recover. Then I did timed tabatas (20 seconds full effort, 10 seconds rest) on my back just kicking. I did 8 rounds again. I swim with trainer fins, so it was a pretty effective leg workout as well as an intense cardio workout. Then another 4 easy laps to cool down.

I felt great afterwards. One really great thing about this type of workout is that it took me about 15 minutes. I'm usually in the pool for 30. I'm going to keep doing this for a few weeks and then I'll go for a long swim to see if my performance has improved.
    Last edited by en2ec; 07-26-2012 at 05:06 AM.

I felt a little hungry this morning, so I had my usual breakfast at work, a breadless "sandwich" with smoked salmon, hard boiled eggs and veggies.

My workout was good. It kicked my butt. All 16 minutes of it. I'm still feeling it a bit, but I feel good.

I didn't bring my lunch today, and I was amazed to find that there was a totally primal lunch option available: Peruvian pork stew (ingredients were posted ... all primal) with sweet potatoes. I also got a small salad. It wasn't bad, but it was very filling. I haven't had sweet potato in a while, and I'm still full hours later.

Lunch 2012-07-27 13.27.32.jpg

I forgot to mention before that I've had a bunch of people at work come up to me in the last week to ask me what I'm doing to lose weight. I always refer them to MDA, which I think is the best single source of nutrition/lifestyle info on the web.

I had wine (too much) on Friday and some sausages, which probably had some flour in them, for dinner Friday. We went to a middle ages festival on Saturday. Saturday, I had bacon and eggs for breakfast, a dried sausage and some pork rinds as a driving snack, some meat on a stick at the festival, some more bacon and eggs (ugh ... I thought i was ordering a drink ... my German sucks). And then for dinner some ribs, half a serving of potato wedges (I was naughty) and a greek salad (didn't eat the feta). Oh, and I had 2 half liters of beer. My first beer since I started primal. I felt pretty lousy Sunday, then went to a cookout Sunday evening where I had more wine, some steak, more sausages (almost certainly with flour), and some green salad. I felt really crappy this morning (it didn't help that my son woke up at 4 am, and I didn't really get back to sleep until about 6 am for 30 minutes). Not surprisingly, I gained a couple of pounds over the weekend.

I did an IF this morning and worked out out fasted right before lunch. I started my new You are Your own Gym workout today. I'm definitely feeling it. I think that this workout will be good for me. I have the android app that goes along with the book, and it is brilliant. Post-workout, I had a whey protein shake with some coconut milk. It was actually really good. For lunch, I had a breadless salmon sandwich with 2 eggs and lots of veggies.

I will need to ramp up the veggie consumption this week and eat much cleaner meats to get back in the groove. I do feel better now than I did this morning. It is a shame. I was feeling really, really good toward the end of the week. This was a good lesson for me though. Wine in MODERATION. No beer. Nothing that could have flour in it. No salami or processed meats -- fasting would be a better option. Get veggies however I can if I'm traveling.

I think I've fully recovered from my weekend now. I've been IFing every day. I'm now below my Friday weight.

Yesterday I did the You Are Your Own Gym workout again. This time it was legs and back. I guess my legs are in better condition than my arms and shoulders because it was not as taxing as the first day workout, though I did feel it afterwards. I can't say enough how much I like the whole concept of YAYOG and how great the app is. It walks me through the whole thing just like I had a personal trainer. Some people complain about YAYOG because some of the exercises require some "found" equipment like doors or tables. The dodgiest suggestion is the "let me up" exercise in which he recommends a broom handle suspended over a couple of speakers or chairs and you underneath lying down pulling yourself up. Yet, these exercises are still bodyweight exercises. Anyway, I'm doing them at the gym, and I did the entire first workout using the otherwise useless Smith machine, which it turned out was great for all 4 of the first day's exercises. Still, I could have done them at home well enough. Having recently done a round of Starting Strength and then a few weeks of P90X, I can say that even the beginner 10 week program of YAYOG is challenging. Lauren, the author, constructs the program based on periodization, and the first phase is endurance using ladders (1 rep, rest = time it took for 1 rep, 2 reps, rest = time it took for 2 reps and on, then back down in the same fashion). I think that Lauren's programming, apart from the bodyweight aspect, is what really sets him apart from Starting Strength and P90X. SS focuses exclusively on strength at the expense of muscle endurance and core strength (I know, deadlifts and squats do build some core strength, but for anyone only doing SS, I invite you to do some planks and see how strong your core really is). P90X is much more about aerobic conditioning than strength training for me (even if you ignore the P90X cardio workouts and only consider the "strength" workouts).

I guess I'm slowly working my way toward a more PB fitness approach. If you want a little more advanced (with more explanation) bodyweight workout program than PB fitness (no knock against it though ... it seems perfectly good), then I highly recommend You Are Your Own Gym and the accompanying app.

I swam today. As I said before, I'm going to focus on swim sprints for the next few weeks. I'm curious to see how it impacts a longer-distance swim later on. I guess this is an n=1 experiment.

I had another good workout at the gym today doing You are Your Own Gym. I ended up modifying the "let me ups" because lying on the ground pulling myself up, even with knees bent, is too difficult (I still weigh too much). So I raised the bar to midway between my chest and waist (when standing) and then extended my feet out while hanging under the bar and did the movement. I could position my feet so that it was difficult but not too difficult, and I was able to get an effective workout.

I had a post workout protein shake with coconut milk and then for lunch I had leftover grass-fed beef tenderloin and a big salad (and 2 squares of 90% chocolate).

Not a whole lot to report. Yesterday for lunch I had a breadless sandwich ... this time roast beef. For dinner, I had a steak and salad.

The good news is that this morning on the bathroom scale, I weighed 235, so I've now lost 45+ pounds.

I'm in my second week of You Are Your Own Gym, and I'm still in the endurance phase. Ladders are a brilliant way to do a lot of reps. I was doing incline pushups about 18 inches off the ground (easier than a standard pushup, but it is what is called for in this phase), and I realized that I did over 60 of them in 7.5 minutes. I never thought I'd do 60 of any kind of pushup in 7.5 minutes.
    Last edited by en2ec; 08-08-2012 at 01:31 AM.

I had a good weekend. My wife and I had a rare "date night" on Saturday at our local but very good Indian restaurant. I had a tandoori mixed grill that came with Basmati rice. I had some rice for the first time since I started primal. Maybe half a cup. I avoided the nan bread though, which my wife did eat and then had indigestion and bloating afterwards. I was fine. I also had a beer. Wine just didn't seem right with Indian food.

On Sunday we ate out again for a friend's birthday, and I had some ribs. They were probably the best I've had in Vienna -- nowhere near as good as proper ribs from a good BBQ place in the South, but good for Vienna. I also had a few potatoes with them.

I was a little nervous to face the scale today, but I only gained about a pound, which is well within the margin of error anyway, so I feel pretty good.

I started a new phase of You Are Your Own Gym today. This is the strength block. I did 36 standard (not on my knees or inclined, but good ole regular) pushups today. I've never done that many standard pushups. The "military press" was a little awkward. I was able to complete all the reps on all the exercises except for on my third set of dips. The dips now are with legs straight. Before they were with bent knees. It makes a big difference. I got to 10. 2 short of the 12 called for. In short, I'm still really enjoying YAYOG. I definitely feel like I did a really good workout today.

I did YAYOG legs workout yesterday. I'm on the 3rd week, which is strength building. The 1st 2 weeks legs workouts were not very demanding. And I didn't feel a lot yesterday right afterwards. But by last night and especially today, I'm really sore! I think it was the Bulgarian Split Squats that did it ... you put one leg behind you on a chair or other raised surface and then squat down with the leg that stands on the floor. This exercise builds up to the one-legged squat. I have a feeling that I have a long way to go with bodyweight exercises before I will feel like I need to use weights.

The gym was closed today because of some random Austrian public holiday (who can keep track?). I was planning to do swim sprints today, but I guess I'll have a rest day instead.

I made a yummy pork and veggie yellow curry soup and had that for dinner the last couple of days. I've pretty much settled into a routine of eating "breadless" sandwiches for lunch from the cafeteria. Probably not ideal, but not a bad compromise for convenience. That way, my cooking at home is cut in half because I'm not eating leftovers for lunch; instead, I'm eating them for dinner the next night or two.

PrimalCon New York
    My legs are still sore today! I'm glad that the YAYOG strength block is programmed so that you only do a muscle group once per week. For example, on Monday, you do several variations of pushups and dips. On Tuesday you do legs. On Thursday you do lots of pulling ... "let me ins," "let me ups," and curls. I'm still surprised that even after a few months of weight training just how challenging these bodyweight exercises can be.

I've been feeling slightly guilty about having roast beef in my breadless sandwich for lunch because I assumed it was not grass fed, but then it dawned on me that I think that they are using the same Brazilian grass-fed beef that I do at home. I'll have to confirm. If so, then it is the perfect easy and cheap primal lunch.

Last night I met my wife and son outside the Rathaus. They have outdoor movies most (every?) night during summer and have a bunch of food booths. The most primal thing I could find was a nicoise beef stew with olives served with potatoes. I did eat the potatoes only because the plate was 9 euros and the beef stew was a pretty small portion. I still think that I was well under 100 g of carbs for the day. I try to keep it under 50 g most days, but I don't think it is a big deal to have some once in a while, though I do stick to sweet potatoes at home. Unfortunately, not many restaurants here serve them.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast