Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: No pretending to like tofu any more!: Eric's primal transformation page 5

en2ec is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    Mmm. Wild asparagus is super delish! I'm not sure if you have access to garlic scapes. I tried them for the first time last year. SO GOOD!
    What's a garlic scape!? I never heard of that either. If it has anything to do with garlic, I would love it.

Sadly, the variety of vegetables here is pretty lousy. The only thing you can count on in the store is zuchini, tomatoes, lettuce, and potatoes. Maybe carrots. But if you go late on Saturday, you won't even get that. I found the wild asparagus at the equivalent of Costco here.

I had steak and eggs with kimchi and a salad last night for dinner. Looking at the photo, it doesn't look like a whole lot of food ... at least not a whole lot of protein and fat. That may explain why I'm pretty hungry this morning. I also had two glasses of wine. I had openned a bottle over the weekend and had one glass last night and could tell that it wouldn't be very good if I left it until tonight, so I had two to finish it off.

dinner 2012-06-18.jpg

Sorry for the lousy quality of the photo. I've been using my phone. I should really switch to a proper camera.

Whoohoo! I've lost a total of 9 pounds in 20 days on paleo/primal. I weighed 252 this morning, and I was at 261 when I started paleo. Overall, I've lost 28+ pounds since early March, and I feel great. Even though I've lost nearly half a pound a day on Paleo, I've been able to consistently add weight to my lifts and feel stronger.

By the way, the scale at the gym is about 4 pounds lighter than the one at home, and it is a much better scale, so I may actually weigh less, but I'm sticking to my scale at home for consistency. If I do actually weigh in the 240s, I haven't been this "light" since a brief period in 2002 (I think I broke the 250 barrier in that weight loss attempt). Before that it would have been the late 1990s.

For dinner last night, I had two wild salmon filets, some red cabbage cooked with wurzel speck, and some spinach with mushrooms and garlic. I can't believe I've been in Austria for 1.5 years, and I just now tried wurzel speck. Oh wow, it is good. I said before that speck was a welcome change from American bacon. That lasted about three meals, and then I was really tired of speck and went back to good ol' American bacon. Then I tried wurzel speck last night. I tried to look up what it was, and the best I could find is that it is speck that is smoked and cured with garlic and other spices. However it is made, it is yummy.

I had a huge salad last night: 1 large chicken breast, 3 hard boiled eggs, lambs lettuce, red cabbage, snow peas, tomatoes, red onion, and olive oil and balsamic.

I dropped another couple of pounds this morning. I weighed 249.6 on my scale at home! I'm guessing that a good bit of this since yesterday is water loss, but I'll take it. Not only is my weight going "back in time" to weights I was years earlier, I feel like may age is reversing too because I feel great.

However, I still have a long way to go. I tried on my gi (karate uniform) that I had custom-made around late 2004/ early 2005 when I weighed more than I do now. I can wear it, but my belly is still bigger now than it was then. That tells me I had more muscle then.

I had a pretty terrible swim today. I only did 32 laps. I think my salad with chicken and eggs last night wasn't what I needed. I guess I should stick to grass-fed beef.

So I've been eating dark chocolate pretty regularly -- a couple of squares after I work out. I've moved up to Lindt 90%. I don't really taste much difference between it and 85%, so I might as well have 90%. I decided I'd give 99% a try. That was a mistake. I had one little nibble, and that's all I could handle. The upshot is that by comparison the 90% tastes better than it usually does.

SLB0404 is offline Junior Member
    Hiya! I like following your journal and just thought I'd let you know that I totally share your feelings on the 99% lindt.. it tastes like burnt charcoal! however... you shouldn't give up on high 90 chocolates just because of that. just try different ones...

My favourite chocolate is actually the Michel Cluizel 99% noir infini - it's got such subtle flavours and it's well worth a try! I have it with a strong double espresso (no milk or sugar) to help bring out the flavours

Quote Originally Posted by SLB0404 View Post
    Hiya! I like following your journal and just thought I'd let you know that I totally share your feelings on the 99% lindt.. it tastes like burnt charcoal! however... you shouldn't give up on high 90 chocolates just because of that. just try different ones...

My favourite chocolate is actually the Michel Cluizel 99% noir infini - it's got such subtle flavours and it's well worth a try! I have it with a strong double espresso (no milk or sugar) to help bring out the flavours
    Thanks! I'll look for the Michel Cluizel 99%. Burnt charcoal is a pretty good description of the Lindt 99%!

Several months ago my brother-in-law was diagnosed with lactose intolerance and has had to cut out all dairy ... even traces are a big problem for him. I remember thinking how horrible that is to never be able to eat dairy again. So far on my primal journey, I've cut out dairy as well (except for ghee). I don't have any issues with dairy as far as I know, and I may add it back after my first month just to see how I feel. But his lactose intolerance made me think about other things that I've given up for good ... like pizza and bread and pasta that I so dearly loved. When I've been on low fat high carb diets in the past, I'd crave things like pizza. Obsessed over them in fact. When I'd lose a little weight, I'd reward myself with an indulgence. And then I'd do it more frequently even though I would have stopped losing weight, and so there was no reason to have a reward. Before long, I weighed more than I did before. We all know that story.

But eating primally, I really don't have cravings for pizza or bread. Even if I do, I know how awful I felt compared to how I feel now. I don't mean awful as in fat and sedentary (that's awful, but in a much less direct way). What I'm talking about is that shaky sick anxious feeling I'd get from low blood sugar following a crash after eating too many carbs. That is something I never want to feel again. Whatever cravings I may have now are pretty effectively cancelled out by memories of those feelings.

When you think that those crashes are the way you have to live your life, you sorta get used to them, and you sit down and enjoy your carbfest and eat enough of it so that you can make it to your next meal before crashing. But when you know that you can easily avoid those crashes AND eat food that you really like to eat, the choice is pretty simple.

I am typing this after my weightlifing and kata workout while on an IF. I need to go get lunch to help rebuild my muscles. But I'm not especially hungry, nor do I feel lightheaded. Go Grok!
    Last edited by en2ec; 06-22-2012 at 05:13 AM.

My dinner last night: two pieces of Alaskan wild salmon. Some green leafy cabbage cooked with bacon, and a salad.

Today for lunch I had a sandwich minus the bread: smoked salmon, two hard boild eggs, tomato, peppers, pickle, lettuce, arugula and pesto. I also had some leftover cabbage with bacon.

My workout today was fine. I'm up to 95 kg on squats. 42.5 kg on overhead press, and 45 kg on rows. I haven't been so diligent about keeping track of my weights on anything except squats, so I probably should be higher in weight by now on everything, but it doesn't matter.

I'm still not strong compared to many, but I'm slowly getting there. The standard for strength is usually 2x bodyweight for squats. My current bodyweight is 247.5 pounds (according to the healthclub scale). Squatting 495 pounds is absurd as a standard for me. I'm going to assume that I have 165 pounds of lean mass. That means that my ideal weight would be somewhere around 185. So that means I'm carrying 62.5 extra pounds. I'm also lifting probably 85% of those extra pounds when I squat. So my 210 pound squat (95 kg) is more like 263 pounds -- that's still over 100 pounds short of 2x my ideal weight. Of course, that's my workout weight, not my 1RM. I have no idea what that would be, and I'm not interested in finding out because I think there's a lot more risk for injury going all out like that, and it doesn't really matter what the number is. After all, I'm never going to enter a powerlifting competition.

I still have a long way to go to reach 2x ideal bodyweight, but I'm honestly OK with wherever I plateau. I don't think I'll keep doing strength training when I do. I believe I'll switch over to something else. One idea I had is to try out crossfit ... maybe in 4 - 6 months. There's a box close to my apartment. I always loved studying Uechi Ryu karate because there was a lot of variety, the people were nice and helped push me to train hard. If crossfit can replicate that, then it could be really good for me.
    Last edited by en2ec; 06-22-2012 at 05:46 AM.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast