Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: No pretending to like tofu any more!: Eric's primal transformation page 3

en2ec is offline Senior Member
    For dinner last night, I had the last of the leftover chipotle encrusted roast beef, along with a couple of fried eggs, some collard greens cooked with bacon, and a big salad with olive oil and balsamic dressing.

dinner June 7_201.jpg

I had a great workout today. I felt strong on everything, so no ill effects so far at all with an IF as long as I eat properly the night before.

I can't stress how much being able to do an IF makes me happy. Since I was 26 years old, I've been almost constantly on the edge of panic if I missed a meal or even were late for a meal for fear that my blood sugar would drop and I would turn into a zombie that goes on a single-minded quest to eat any and everything on my path. OK, I never resorted to human brains; fortunately for those around me, I was able to find peanuts or cheese crackers or some other "wonderful" snack to bring me back to "normal" ... that is, until the next frequent crash. Now that I can not only do an IF, but the fact that I can have an intense workout at the end of it and still not really be all that hungry and feel perfectly fine is nothing short of amazing for me. Thank you primal!

I didn't have anything to bring for lunch today, so it was the cafeteria again for me. I think I figured out how to have a pretty good lunch there. I made myself a big ass salad from the salad bar (lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, carrots, zuchini, olive oil and balsamic). Then I got a sandwich without the bread, consisting of smoked salmon, two hardboiled eggs, arugula, olives, onions, red pepper, a pickle, and some pesto. I then mixed everything except the salmon into the big ass salad, which made it a really yummy big ass salad. I ate the salmon separately. I'm full and satisfied. The picture is pre-mixed. Post-mixed was yummy, but not very pretty.

Lunch_2012-06-08.jpg

Metric is offline Senior Member
    How did your weekend go?

Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    How did your weekend go?
    It went pretty well. How was your weekend?

I went out Friday night with a friend. In the past, I'd drink 3 half-liter beers and eat a giant plate of baked pasta with bacon and cheese. Instead, I had 3 glasses of red wine (I know, not exactly paleo, but oh well) and an order of ribs. I ate a few of the potato wedges, but gave the rest to my friend.

My wife and I went to the Turkish market again, and I had an omelette for breakfast there. We stocked up on veggies for the week.

I can get Brazilian top sirloin roast here. 97% of beef in Brazil is grassfed, and countries typically export their best stuff, so I think I'm safe in assuming that it is grassfed. I decided to grind it and then make a chili. But I also bought some Austrian speck (like bacon) at the market and added just a little when grinding the beef. The chili was outstanding. Now I'm going to bring it for lunch this week and get a big salad from the salad bar at the cafeteria.

For dinner last night, I made a shrimp tom yum soup with loads of veggies, coconut milk, and kimchi. I know kimchi doesn't really fit tom yum, but I love it, and it was good in it.

dinner June 10_2011.jpg

_sarah_ is offline Junior Member
    Hey Eric - just finished reading through your journal. Congratulations! You're doing great! It sounds like you're coming into this with a fantastic attitude, so I'm sure you can achieve great things

I'll definitely be following along, your writing is really motivational - keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by _sarah_ View Post
    Hey Eric - just finished reading through your journal. Congratulations! You're doing great! It sounds like you're coming into this with a fantastic attitude, so I'm sure you can achieve great things

I'll definitely be following along, your writing is really motivational - keep it up!
    Thank you for the very kind words! I have to say that I am enjoying keeping this journal. My goal is simply to write here in order to reinforce primal as part of my lifestyle. I'm flattered that it you find it motivational. Cheers.

I didn't IF today. Maybe because it is Monday. Maybe because my son woke me up at 5 am. I got to work very early and decided to have some bacon and eggs from the cafeteria. I won't again. After eating good cage free eggs so much since I've been on primal, the "eggs" this morning were horrible, rubbery, tasteless things. I think they come from a carton, and I won't have them again. The bacon was good. I mean, it is bacon.

Speaking of bacon, as I mentioned in a previous post, I bought some speck here. Interesting stuff. I believe they smoke it with a different type of wood than American bacon, which is usually hickory (at least in the south ... I suppose applewood is used in other parts of the country). Speck has a milder smoke flavor and less salt, but it tastes ... more porky. It is much firmer and less oily to the touch, though certainly very fatty. I also found that it has little hard bits in it that aren't so nice. Maybe I didn't get a great quality one. It is a welcome change from the American bacon I've been eating. There are lots of other types of charcuterie here that I'd like to try, but have no idea what they are.

I also ran out of good green tea at work, so I'll have to have the pretty nasty gunpowder green tea. Maybe I'll just have black tea instead. I've always put a ton of sugar in my tea and could never drink black tea without it, but I had some yesterday at a friend's house, and I guess because my taste buds have adjusted to no sugar, it was OK.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by en2ec View Post
    It went pretty well. How was your weekend?

For dinner last night, I made a shrimp tom yum soup with loads of veggies, coconut milk, and kimchi. I know kimchi doesn't really fit tom yum, but I love it, and it was good in it.

dinner June 10_2011.jpg
    Weekend was good. Felt like all I did was eat. I sure was hungry. Went to the Farmer's Market. Nothing much.

Your soup looks delicious!

Have you ever cooked pork belly yourself? IT'S AMAZING!

Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    Weekend was good. Felt like all I did was eat. I sure was hungry. Went to the Farmer's Market. Nothing much.

Your soup looks delicious!

Have you ever cooked pork belly yourself? IT'S AMAZING!
    I haven't. Is it hard to make? I don't think I've ever had other than as bacon.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Eric,
    Just popped in to say I love the title of your journal. My sentiments exactly. I can't believe how much soy I used to eat thinking it was the healthy thing to do.

About the IFing. That's so cool when you reach that freedom from the "I must have a snack or i am going to faint now" syndrome. This is a YMMV but I have found that skipping lunch works better for me than skipping breakfast. I know all the IF sites are all about powering through breakfast time on high octane coffee but I find that that just sets me up for overeating later. If I get a solid protein heavy breakfast in me, I am good to go until dinner. Of course a lot of this depends on your schedule of when you and your wife can/want to eat. I don't know how we all got so used to the idea of three meals a day. I seem to feel more satisfied with two substantial meals than with three smaller ones.

Best wishes to you. Sounds like you are headed the right direction.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast