Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: No pretending to like tofu any more!: Eric's primal transformation page 18

en2ec is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Last night's crossfit more than made up for the easy session on Tuesday. We warmed up with a 200 m run followed by running up and down 9 flights of stairs. We worked on deadlifts and overhead squats. WOD:

With a partner:

1st person: 200 m run
    2nd person: deadlifts AMRAP
    Switch when 1st runner returns (1st person does reps, 2nd person runs)

2nd person: lunges AMRAP

2nd person: pushups AMRAP

2nd person: overhead squat AMRAP

Our time was 10:30, and we did a combined 220 reps. We used 40 kg for the deadlift. Overhead squat was with a PVC pipe. We had the slowest time by 20 seconds thanks to my running. But we had the second most reps, but I guess that's because my partner had more time to do reps than other people. Still, the fastest team was in the 9 minute range, and there were some teams in the middle time that did in the 90 rep range. All in all, I think we did pretty well.

I've always struggled to get a good squat depth, and last night our coach, Jules, suggested I put a weight plate down and put my heels on it while I squat. Oh my god! That made a huge difference. For the first time ever, I was able to do full range of motion squats. I think it also helped that earlier I had done some stretches from MobilityWOD designed to open the hip for a deeper squat.

Still holding exactly on 200.0 pounds.
    Last edited by en2ec; 08-23-2013 at 01:35 AM.

DoraV is online now Member
    It sounds like you're enjoying crossfit, that's great, our cult is getting bigger, lol. I've been working on going really deep on squats lately too. I can do it up to 125 lbs but have a harder time at 135 lbs. and up.

My weight is staying the same just like you, but I've definitely noticed improvement in the shape of my body so I'm sure I'm gaining muscle. So I guess we both need to stop worrying about the scale for now and focus on getting stronger and faster.
    F 43 5'5"
    SW 177
    CW 152
    GW 136

DoraV: Going deep on your squat does mean you can't do as much weight, but you'll eventually build the strength in the full range of motion. You are right that I need to stop worrying about the scale. Body composition is the important thing. Yes, I am enjoying crossfit a lot. I look forward to it every time, and my recovery time is improving. The only issue so far is that my box doesn't have very convenient hours for me. The problem is that we have a 2 year old, and the mornings and late afternoons/early evenings are the only times I can spend with him during the week and help give my wife a break. These also happen to be the only times I can go to crossfit (the latest regular class is 6:30 pm!). I'm going to do a 3 month contract and hope that we can figure out a schedule that works for everyone.

I forgot to post Friday night's workout: AMRAP in 10 minutes:

hanging power cleans (30 kg) - 5 reps
    knee raises from pullup bar (OK, that's my scaled version; the RX was feet to bar) - 7 reps
    wall ball (6 kg) - 9 reps

I did 6 rounds.

By the way, the hanging power clean was pretty complicated to learn. Kettlebell cleans are SO much simpler!

I have my last induction class tomorrow, then I'll start the regular class on Wednesday.
    Last edited by en2ec; 08-26-2013 at 01:09 AM.

A little while ago I started feeling dizzy and lightheaded, but not from low blood sugar. It was a different feeling. So I went to the medical service at work, and my blood pressure was 98/77 and pulse rate was 55. I had been feeling a little dehydrated, so they gave me some reyhdration salts to have with water. I think that may be what it is because I seem to be feeling a little better now. I'll go back in the afternoon to get tested again. It is hard to believe that less than 1.5 years ago, my doctor was making noises that I might have to go on high blood pressure meds because I was consistently having blood pressure of 130/90. Now, I normally have blood pressure of 115/70. I've never had anything like 98/77 though.

My blood pressure returned to normal on Monday afternoon.

I went to my final induction class last night. The workout was for time:

100 m run at the beginning of each round
    15 - 12 - 9:
    Thrusters (15 kg)
    hollow rocks
    box jumps

I did it in 9:40, which was 5th out of 7.

I signed up for the regular class, and my first one is TODAY! The posted WOD is:

A. Single arm kettlebell push press (weak arm) 3 RM

B1. AMRAP 7 min:

- 5 Pistols (each leg)
    -10 Bumper plate ground to overhead (15/10kg)

1 min rest

B2. AMRAP 7 min:

- 10 Toes to bar
    - 15 Box jumps (61/51cm)

I'll have to scale the pistols (I can do them as long as I have something to hold onto for balance) and the toes to bar. At least there's no running!

I know I'm not supposed to obsess over weight, but the last few days I've weighed 198 rather than 200 as I had been stuck on for a long time, and today the scale was wavering between 197 and 198. I'll get excited when I drop below 197, which has been my low weight since I've been paleo, which I hit in May right before going home on a visit. I've bounced around mostly between 200 and 205 since then.

Sounds like things are going great for you, your blood pressure is great, your weight is down and you're progressing in your crossfit workouts. Good for you, you're working hard and you deserve to reap the rewards.
    F 43 5'5"
    SW 177
    CW 152
    GW 136

DoraV: Thanks for the kind words! I think I'm officially addicted to Crossfit.

I forgot to post on my Wednesday workout, which was my first official regular crossfit workout. I posted earlier what it was going to be, so I'll be brief here.

My 3RM KB push press: right: 24 kg, left: 20 kg

I did 4.5 rounds of B1 and 6 rounds of B2.

Good workout and not too exhausting.

This morning, however, I spent some time in the pain cave.

Warmed up with a medicine ball run.

We did back squats. 4 sets, 20 reps each set, progressing from 20 kg to 40 kg.

WOD for time:

400 m run

3 rounds:
    15 hand release pushups
    30 sit ups
    15 back squats (30 kg)

400 m run

I finished in 17:07 ahead of 2 other guys.

The weird thing is that the first 400 m run I had to stop running and walk for a few seconds 3 different times. The second 400 m run, I ran the whole thing with no walking, albeit at a slower pace than I began the first 400 m run. I even kicked it up to a much faster pace the last 50 m.

I think this may be the toughest workout yet. I made it to work on time too, so I should be able to work this into my schedule without too much trouble.

The weather has turned much cooler here, and my son got a cold the other day, and I came down with it Saturday afternoon. So I had to cancel crossfit this morning. If I'm feeling better tomorrow, I'll go tomorrow.

It sucks when the little ones are sick . Hope you two feel better soon.
    F 43 5'5"
    SW 177
    CW 152
    GW 136

I'm not 100% over my cold, but I went to crossfit yesterday anyway. It was fine. Fortunately, we only had a 400 m run with no running in the WOD.

We worked on snatch squat. Wow, that is a complicated lift, and I just can't do it landing in a full squat. Something to work on.

The WOD was a grind it out kind of workout. 20 minutes AMRAP:

5 DB snatch (12.5 kg)
    10 box jumps
    15 KB swings (20 kg)

I did 10 rounds. OK, I was about 7 KB swings short of a full 10, but I'll round up. I would have done the full 10 had I not accidentally launched the KB toward my coach, barely missing his feet! I was in the 8th round, and it just slipped out of my hands and landed 7 or 8 feet away. He showed me where the chalk was. Chalk is my new friend. :-) It works really well. I had no problem holding the KB in the last 2 rounds.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast