Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: No pretending to like tofu any more!: Eric's primal transformation page 17

en2ec is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It went well. There was an intro about Crossfit in German. Between my limited understanding of German and my extensive research on Crossfit, I knew more or less what he was saying. They then taught the squat, which I knew, though I realize I haven't been going deep enough, so it was good for them to keep me honest. They then taught wall ball. Then burpees, which I already knew as well, but the way they broke it down made it easier. OK. Maybe "easier" isn't the right word. More fluid?

The actual workout was a partner workout: one person does 7 burpees while the other does wall balls. Then switch. Keep going for 7 minutes. It doesn't sound like a lot, but the burpees were pretty tough toward the end. The wall balls also got harder than I thought they would.

I got there a little early and saw the last 15 minutes of the induction class. I was surprised that there were maybe 12 people. I had hoped that there would have been a better coach/athlete ratio. There were 2 coaches, but one of them was greeting the new people and taking calls and once in a while observing the guys in the class. But the other coach gave her full attention. By the way, the coaches are a husband and wife team.

The guy has been doing Crossfit since 2010, so he doesn't have a lot of experience, but it is clear that he's done sports and other kinds of training for a long time prior to crossfit. I don't know that much about his wife, but she seemed to know what she's doing.

I plan to do the induction and see from there. I think it will be good. I love kettlebells, but the workouts in the class I take are usually geared toward endurance, and there isn't enough of a strength component, but maybe to some extent that is the nature of kettlebells. I'm hoping that crossfit will have more of an emphasis on strength with the O lifts and that the workouts themselves will be higher intensity.

I signed up for the Crossfit induction course and started last night. Wow. Tough workout, and that was the basic version. They had an optional advanced version. Just the warmup was pretty tough -- with a 6 kg medicine ball: 200m run and up/down 3 flights of stairs. We did some other short running warmups (heel to butt runs, high knees, etc.).

We learned the deadlift. I had done the deadlift before, but I taught myself from Starting Strength. I guess I didn't have the form down as well as I thought, so I am already benefiting from the instruction.

The workout (as fast as we can):

200m run
    15/12/9:
    air squats
    ring rows
    pushups
    200m run

I did it in 7:57, which was 3rd in the class of 10 or 11. Not bad considering they all looked no older than 30 or so, and none of them was carrying as much weight as I was. In the interest of full disclosure, some of the guys were doing the advanced version, which was 2 400m runs and 21/15/12 reps, but the two ahead of me were doing the advanced version. I was the first to finish the basic version.

The WOD for the regular classes yesterday looked pretty freakin' intimidating though:

100 Overhead Squats
    100 Wipers
    100 Burpees

Unfortunately, the induction class schedule is T, Th, Fr, so I have class again tonight. My back is a bit sore because the pushups were different than I've done them -- these were hand under shoulder, elbows tight to the side so that it is all triceps and back. My legs are a bit tired but not sore. I think I'll be OK for tonight as long as I don't have to do pushups again. I'd also prefer no running, but can suck it up if needed.

My crossfit class on Friday was brutal, mainly because of Crossfit on Thursday. We learned the overhead push press. WOD was:

10 minutes, AMRAP:
    100 m sprint
    7 deadlifts (20 kg)
    7 push press (15 kg)

What got me was the running. Ugh, I hate running, but I know it is good for me. I did 4 rounds plus the run and deadlfits of the 5th (would have completed 5 rounds, but I was getting some corrections on deadlifts when the time ran out).

My arms were super sore this weekend. The weight was very light, but I wasn't used to the range of motion involved in the push press.

I'm feeling mostly recovered by now. The next class is tomorrow. Then we're off to Spain for a week on Wednesday. I'll try to workout while I'm gone, but that never really works as well as I imagine it will. I'm looking forward to the yummy pork products that Spain is known for. I think I'll be able to stay pretty primal while I'm gone.

DoraV is offline Member
    Yes crossfit tends to be brutal most days, lol. We did the filthy fifty today and the coach had to modify it for me about halfway through. My blood pressure tends to be on the lowish side so I have to be careful not to pass out and maybe this is why keeping my carbs up is better for me. My husband rx'd it but I'm still not there yet.

I agree that running sucks during wods but at least it's not a mile right? It could always be worse.

Have a great time in Spain!!!!
    F 44 5'5"
    SW 177
    CW 152
    GW 136

ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1375984713.151659.jpg

Now that's a primal snack!

So far Spain has been very paleo friendly.

We got back to the house from the airport at about 3:30 yesterday, and I was there for 15 minutes and went to crossfit at 4:30. I hadn't eaten since 7:30 yesterday morning, but I did have time for a quick protein and coconut milk shake before I went. I was debating all day whether to go or take it easy, but I'm glad I sucked it up and went.

The workout:

buy in: 200m run

6 rounds of:

9 dips
    7 sumo deadlift high pulls (30 kg)
    5 medicine ball cleans (8 kg)

check out: 200 m run

I did it in 11:15, barely edging out the last place finisher (out of 5) at 11:16. My time wasn't great, but I did the heaviest weight. The first place was 7+ minutes. With the sumo high pulls, especially, I wanted to go slowly and do the form as well as I could. All in all, I think I did pretty well having not worked out in a week, skipping lunch and coming almost straight from the airport.

I sprinted for the bus after the workout, so I guess I still had a bit of energy left. One thing I've noticed when sprinting with barefoot shoes is that it hits my quads much more than I ever noticed sprinting in the past. I don't know if this is the shoes or the fact that I'm actually sprinting now rather than lumbering along as fast as I could before losing weight. I've only just started sprinting since dropping 80 pounds, so I don't have much experience to compare it with. I tend to think that it has something to do with the shoes, which force a shorter stride, so there's more focus on shooting your foot out quickly rather than using your hamstrings to pull you along in a longer stride. Or maybe I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. I could google it, but that will have to wait.

Dora: I just looked up the filthy fifty. Yikes. That is brutal. I know the intensity of my WODs will go way up once I'm through the induction course, which is a little scary, but I'm looking forward to the challenge. I have 5 more induction sessions to go!

DoraV is offline Member
    I'm so glad you're enjoying crossfit. I really try not to get too focused on time (I'm usually one of the last ones anyway, lol) and just try to focus on good form and doing my best. We did Karen today (150 wallballs) and I did better than I expected.

It's awesome to see you making such good progress.
    F 44 5'5"
    SW 177
    CW 152
    GW 136

I have crossfit tonight. I'm looking forward to it. I just finished "pork"-loading. I've been hungrier since I've started crossfit, and at the moment I'm trying to eat when I'm hungry. I got a steak at the cafeteria today for lunch, but they've cut down on the size of the steaks, so I'm hungry now 4 hours later. So I got some Iberian ham as a snack. Yummy.

I'll have 3 more induction sessions after tonight. Next Tuesday should be my last one, then I'll be in the regular classes.

Crossfit on Tuesday was fairly easy, but I'm still in the induction class. We worked on the jerk part of the clean and jerk. Then the workout was 10 minutes: AMRAP:

5 Jerks (20 kg for me)
    10 KB goblet squats (20 kg for me)
    15 sit-ups.

I did either 5.66 rounds or 6.66 rounds. I have serious difficulty keeping track of my count. Maybe I need some kind of physical counter on my wrist or something that I can tap to keep count.

I arrived early and saw most of the the regular workout, which was absolutely brutal. I have only 3 classes left before I get to do things like this:

for time
    4 Man Maker & 1 Turkish Get up (R+L)
    100m run backwards
    3 Man Maker & 1 Turkish Get up (R+L)
    200m run with medball/kb/db
    2 Man Maker & 1 Turkish Get up (R+L)
    400m run incl. “Rocky Stairs”
    1 Man Maker & 1 Turkish Get up (R+L)
    800m run
    1 Man Maker & 1 Turkish Get up (R+L)
    400m run incl. “Rocky Stairs”
    2 Man Maker & 1 Turkish Get up (R+L)
    200m run with medball/kb/db
    3 Man Maker & 1 Turkish Get up (R+L)
    100m run backwards
    4 Man Maker & 1 Turkish Get up (R+L)
    Time cut: 30 min.

My weight is holding very steady at 200 pounds. I had been oscillating between 197 and 203. Now I'm oscillating between 199 and 201. For some reason, my body really wants to stay at 200 pounds. I've tried a number of "hacks" to break through. Nothing has worked. Maybe once I start regular crossfit, I'll break through. I do think that I am gradually losing fat and gaining muscle because I have pants that I bought in May that were tight in the waist but now are loose.

I have crossfit again tonight and tomorrow night.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast