Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: No pretending to like tofu any more!: Eric's primal transformation page 16

en2ec is offline Senior Member
    It has been ages since I posted a photo here. This was taken on Sunday at a small park. They have these wacky poles that shift around with some kind of spring or something in the ground.

photo (4).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by en2ec; 07-08-2013 at 08:26 AM.

I've definitely reached a plateau. I'll sometimes drop below 200, but then I'll pop back up to 202 or 203. After nearly 4 weeks without wine and chocholate, my weight hasn't changed. So, on to the next step. I posted in primal nutrition, and a carb refeed was suggested, so I decided to start right away.

I'm doing a carb refeed today, which was a pretty good day to do it as it turned out. We had an alternate KB "teacher" today, and it was really tough. Plus, we worked with heavier KBs for strength. Normally, I'd work out fasted, but since I am doing a carb refeed, and I can't possibly eat 1.2 kg of sweet potatoes in 2 meals, I decided to have breakfast -- about 1/3 of my sweet potatoes (cut in chunks and boiled) for the day and 3 soft boiled eggs mixed in with the sweet potatoes. The egg yolks added a nice creaminess. Anyway, I think I had more energy for the workout.

I just finished lunch, and I had to shovel the sweet potatoes in. I normally love sweet potatoes when I eat 1/2 of one every other week or so. They begin to lose their charm in volume though. Even so, I'm only eating about 250 grams of carbs today, and this is on the low side for a SAD diet. Yikes. I guess it is easy to do when everything you eat has hidden HFCS, and massive amounts of bread/rice/potatoes are served with every meal.

I was going to try to workout again this evening with a sandbag strength workout, but that may be unnecessary now. I'll see how I feel.

I'm at 197 as of this morning, which matches my low since going paleo. It looks like maybe the carb refeed worked. Now I just have to figure out how often to do it. I think I'll give it a try once a week. I really need to figure out a better way than boiled sweet potatoes. Hmm. I need to find an all-you-can-eat sushi place.

Back in September, I ordered a "Grok on" T-shirt from MDA, and it was way too small. I try it on once in a while to see if I can wear it, and it fit this weekend! It was a little snug, but it fit. I suppose I may be making more progress than the scale would suggest.

I decided not to work out this weekend because my Friday KB workout was really intense ... the most intense one we've had. I did lots of slow movement though. I had a nice walk on Saturday morning with my son for maybe 1.5 hours. Saturday afternoon, my wife and son and I went to an outdoor food stall area and walked around afterwards for another 1 - 2 hours. Then on Sunday afternoon, we went to a middle ages festival and walked around for about 5 hours.

I decided to end my no alcohol experiment a few days early on Friday (instead of Monday) with some red wine. I had some chocolate too.

I finally had a photo taken of me, and this time in my Grok on t-shirt. This was at Rathausplatz on Saturday.

Eric July 13 2013.jpg

I'm still bouncing around between 197 and 202. I've done 2 carb refeeds in 2 weeks, and that hasn't seemed to make a difference. I'm not sure what else to do. I don't want to drastically cut calories, which will only slow down my metabolism. I may try to ramp up my exercise even further. I've been thinking of adding the tough mudder boot camp once or twice a week to my 3x kettlebell class I'm already doing.

One of the alternate instructors for the kettlebell class mentioned today that I look like I've lost weight. My clothes are a bit looser now. So even though the scale hasn't moved for ages, I guess I am still losing some fat. I'm definitely getting stronger.

I wonder if I'm bumping up to the point that I need to add some safe starch into my diet.

DoraV is offline Member
    Looking good Eric. Maybe you're like me and even though the scale is staying the same, you're body is changing and reshaping itself and getting smaller. I've had to accept that and not get too hung up on the scale.

The adding starchy carbs sounds like a good idea, especially since you're active. You can always stop if you find it doesn't work for you.
    F 44 5'5"
    SW 177
    CW 146
    GW 136

Thanks DoraV. I have been eating more carbs lately. I'm still low carb, but the last few days I'm probably more like 80 - 100 grams rather than less than 50. I'll see how it goes.

I also signed up for a free crossfit session to give it a try. There is a new box pretty close to me, and they said English isn't a problem. If I join, I have to take 9 intro sessions where they teach all the technical movements. I've read where some boxes have one or two intro classes then throw you into the regular WODs. So, I'm hoping that this is a good sign that they know what they are doing. I've never done the olympic lifts, so even if I don't end up signing up for regular classes after the first 9, it seems like it will be well worth it for the instruction. The cost is 129 euros for 9 intro sessions. Compared to 60 euros per hour for a personal trainer at my old gym, that's outstanding value.

I have my free crossfit session tonight. I haven't worked out since Friday because KB clas was cancelled on Monday because of the heat. I'm looking forward to working out. I hope it is a real workout and not just an explanation of what crossfit is because I know that already.

One of the side benefits is that as with crossfit in the US, the box here in Vienna, according to its facebook posts, also advocates a paleo diet. I know nobody else in Vienna who eats paleo, and I have so many questions about various local foods here that I'm hoping they can help answer.

DoraV is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How did it go? I got hooked on crossfit the first time I tried it but I know it's not for everyone. So, what did you think?
    F 44 5'5"
    SW 177
    CW 146
    GW 136

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast