Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: No pretending to like tofu any more!: Eric's primal transformation page 15

DoraV is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    That's good that you caught it early, before it gets out of hand. I do that too, start easing up too much on the carbs (mostly sweets) because I think since I'm doing crossfit and also running, it won't hurt, but if I do it too much, it definitely catches up.

Are you doing a whole 30? I don't think I ever would, I cannot give up my morning coffee with cream and coconut sugar, so I guess it's out of the question for me.
    F 44 5'5"
    SW 177
    CW 150
    GW 136

en2ec is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoraV View Post
    That's good that you caught it early, before it gets out of hand. I do that too, start easing up too much on the carbs (mostly sweets) because I think since I'm doing crossfit and also running, it won't hurt, but if I do it too much, it definitely catches up.

Are you doing a whole 30? I don't think I ever would, I cannot give up my morning coffee with cream and coconut sugar, so I guess it's out of the question for me.
    Yeah, it is easy to ease up on the carbs, especially when you do intense exercise. I've read how a lot of people have to up their carb intake when they up their exercise intensity in order to recover. I have found that even with intense exercise and intermittent fasting, I do well with low carb and have no problem recovering. Unfortunately, I think I'm super sensitive to carbs, which means I'll always have to be careful with them.

I'm technically not doing a Whole 30 because I still eat some cheese and butter. The dairy I eat is grass-fed organic alpine butter, goat's or sheep's cheese, and aged gouda. I seem to have no issues with any of them, so I see no reason to cut them out at the moment. And even though I'm bringing my lunch most days, I will eat in the cafeteria once or twice a week, and then I no doubt get some nasty hidden vegetable oils, though I try to minimize the possibility through what I think are better choices. I might also get some unwanted soy sauce. Otherwise, everything else is consistent with a Whole 30.

I forgot to mention that I'm down to 199 as of this morning. I'm still feeling really good, though I need to go to bed a little earlier or I may end up sabotaging myself.

I'm a little sore from a tough legs-focused KB workout yesterday.

DoraV is offline Member
    199, that's awesome!!! I love seeing change on the scale.

When I first started crossfit, I was very low carb and almost passed out a couple of times. I was pale and sweating profusely and I had to go sit down because I was dizzy. So I try to have some fruit on the days I crossfit and it seems like it helped because i haven't felt like that recently and luckily I didn't gain any weight or have more cravings or anything. Maybe I'm one of those people that do well on a little more carbs, for me it's more of keeping my calories low. I don't feel well when I'm very low carb but I know we're all different and if it works for you then that's great that you've discovered that.

Not sure what time it is where you are, but hopefully you're asleep and getting some good rest.
    F 44 5'5"
    SW 177
    CW 150
    GW 136

Quote Originally Posted by DoraV View Post
    199, that's awesome!!! I love seeing change on the scale.

When I first started crossfit, I was very low carb and almost passed out a couple of times. I was pale and sweating profusely and I had to go sit down because I was dizzy. So I try to have some fruit on the days I crossfit and it seems like it helped because i haven't felt like that recently and luckily I didn't gain any weight or have more cravings or anything. Maybe I'm one of those people that do well on a little more carbs, for me it's more of keeping my calories low. I don't feel well when I'm very low carb but I know we're all different and if it works for you then that's great that you've discovered that.

Not sure what time it is where you are, but hopefully you're asleep and getting some good rest.
    I'd say that my KB class isn't as intense as crossfit, so maybe if I did crossfit, I'd need to add some carbs. The KB class is tough because I tend to use the heaviest KB I can. Even though we do a lot of circuit stuff, it isn't very cardio intensive -- there are no met-cons like in crossfit.

Yeah, I think the key is finding what works for you. Since I've cut out wine and chocolate and started IF'ing again I think I'm actually eating more. I'm definitely eating more fat, which I've started to crave like when I started paleo last year. Maybe that means I've kickstarted fat burning again. In any case, unlike you, I think calories are less important than being very low carb for me.

I went to bed early (at least for me) and got about 8 hours. :-)
    Last edited by en2ec; 06-26-2013 at 04:01 AM.

I'm down another pound to 198. I still haven't figured out how to add in a sandbag and/or clubbell and/or sprint session over the weekend. I need to make it a priority.

I bought a strip loin roast that I cut into steaks and grilled on Thursday night, which made for some easy meals over the weekend and lunch today. I had an awesome big ass salad with steak for lunch yesterday. I'll post a photo in a minute.

I clicked on the link for pork belly on MDA today. Now I'm hungry, but I still have my KB class at noon before I can eat. I'll have to buy some pork belly today so I can make it soon. On Saturday, we had lunch at a heurigen, which is an Austrian winery/restaurant ... the traditional equivalent of a brewpub but with wine. Unlike brewpubs that started to sprout up in the last 20 years, huerigen have been in operation for 100s of years. Anyway, I had some delicious pork belly, but it wasn't cheap. Now I can make it myself for a fraction of the cost. Yummy!

My big ass salad for lunch yesterday. I bought some $15 a bottle balsamic vinegar that I used for the first time on this salad. Wow. What a difference from the cheap stuff. And even then is isn't a "proper" balsamic. It also has some topfen, a fresh cheese from a local dairy where we went to get some raw milk on Saturday. My first raw milk: delicious!
    ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1372668145.039693.jpg

My weight is back up to 202 this morning. But that's OK because I also noticed that my pants are decidedly looser, and my weight is obviously fluctuating a lot lately. I've gone up in weights on kettlebells and have been going 3x a week since my trip back to the US in May. I've been working out really hard in class too, so I think I may be putting on some muscle. This morning I did swings for 7 sets of 45 seconds on and 15 seconds rest with a 20 kg KB, then immediately switched to a 16 kg KB for 3 more sets. Then I rested about a minute and did swings continuously for about 3.5 minutes with a 14 kg kettlebell -- I only stopped because my grip was failing. We also did a 6 minute circuit with shoulder press, pushups, and dips. I only used a 14 kg KB for shoulder press because the swings took a lot out of me already, and the combination of press, pushups, and dips is a killer for my shoulders. I kept the reps in the 5 - 8 range and did slow pushups and dips to focus on strength and did about 4.5 circuits. Then we dd Turkish get up and finished with some core work (leg raises).

For dinner last night (sorry, no pictures), I grilled some sausage and roasted some sweet potatoes in goose fat. This is my first time using goose fat (I've used duck fat before that I rendered from cooking duck breast). It was from Marks and Spencer. I found that it has a soapy taste. Is that normal? It wasn't bad, but I wasn't crazy about it either.

I have some pork belly thawing in the fridge that I'll cook tonight to have tomorrow night. Can't wait! I also have some frozen calf's liver that I'll cook over the weekend. I'm trying to diversify my meat a bit and to add in some offal.

I thought I'd mention that I tried the Shangri-La diet (SLD) again starting yesterday. Now that it is warmer, and my coconut oil is liquid, I find it much easier to get down than when it was solid. I have no idea if the set point is really affected by the SLD, but it has started working already for appetite suppression (even if it is a placebo effect, who cares?).

As I posted previously, this morning's KB class was pretty tough, and I'd normally eat a lot during the day after a hard morning workout. I ate a breadless "sandwich" of smoked salmon, 2 hard boiled eggs, tomato, olives, peppers, pickles and pesto for breakfast after kettlebells. I had about 2 tsp of coconut oil mid morning. I'd normally be starving by lunchtime, but I wasn't very hungry, and I felt very full after a fairly small meal of leftover sausage and sweet potatoes. I had another 2 tsp around around 3 pm, and it is almost 4 pm now, and I am not hungry at all.

By the way, I don't recall if I've mentioned this before, but I have discovered an awesome way to drink green tea. Normally, I think green tea tastes like grass. Bleh. My secret is Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice. I've tried half a dozen other chai blends, but I strongly prefer Bengal Spice. I boil water and then pour in a cup. I put in 1 Bengal Spice tea bag and steep for 10 minutes, which lowers the temp to what you want for green tea. I leave the tea bag in because I've found that you can't overbrew it, and leaving it in longer just draws out more of the cinnamon and other spices, which only make it better in my opinion. Next I drop in a filter cup thingy with some nice loose leaf green tea and brew for an extra 5 minutes. That's it. No honey or other sweetener is needed because the Bengal Spice tea tastes really sweet from all the spices. That's saying something coming from someone who used to be addicted to southern sweet tea ... the sweeter the better. Best of all, the green tea flavor doesn't come through at all, but I've found that Bengal Spice + green tea tastes better than Bengal Spice alone because the green tea adds a robustness of flavor that isn't quite there with the Bengal Spice by itself.
    Last edited by en2ec; 07-03-2013 at 07:15 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm INJURED!! At least it isn't too bad. I was throwing the football with this guy from Germany who is a natural ... if he had grown up in the US he could have been a HS quarterback (maybe even one in college). We had been throwing, running and catching for over an hour. He threw bullet pass wide to the right, and I reached for it and it jammed my finger. I knew it wasn't great at the time, but I didn't go to the hospital until the next day. I have a chip off the outer main knuckle of my ring finger on my right hand, and I'm right-handed. I have this plastic splint that I have to wear for 3 weeks.

BUT, it didn't stop me from doing kettlebells today!! I didn't do the swing because the downward trajectory would have put too much pressure on that hand. While others were swinging, I did snatches. When I did them with my right hand, I just let go going down. We're outside, so it didn't matter. Everything else I managed to do with the class. For some reason, our class never does a full snatch. I think the original teacher, who has been on sick leave for about 4 months, was afraid we'd hurt ourselves, so the most she'd teach us is the half snatch. The sub teacher (the student going for the longest time) has stuck with the half snatch. I'd been watching videos and by coincidence did several Saturday morning at home. It was really easy!! In a lot of ways it is easier than the half snatch. Granted, I was only using 12kg to get the movement down. I'll quickly move up to 16 kg.

I finally worked in a sandbag/straps/kettlebell workout over the weekend. It was really good. I did deadlifts with a 120 lb sandbag, then I did 40 pound sandbag burpee/clean and snatch. I did horizontal pullups using straps. KB reverse lunges. Turkish getups with a 40 lb sandbag. And assisted pistol squats using straps. It was a quick, intense full body workout. And I still had plenty of energy to get myself injured later that day!

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast