Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: No pretending to like tofu any more!: Eric's primal transformation page 13

en2ec is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My hamstrings are sore today from yesterday's KB workout. I haven't been to the gym this week, and I'm debating on whether to go today. I don't think my legs are ready for squats today. And the weather makes swimming unattractive -- I know it is an indoor pool, but I still find it hard to want to swim when it is cold outside. I may take the day off. I'm also wondering if I should keep paying almost 90 euros a month for the membership. Going 3 or 4 times a month is hard to justify. I get access to the pool, which I otherwise wouldn't, but I don't use it much. I get access to a variable height pull-up bar (the Smith machine!). And I can do barbell exercises there. That's all I do. I could get a pull-up bar for home, and I suppose I could get a barbell and weights and maybe switch to deadlift so I wouldn't have to buy a squat rack. For what I'm paying a month, I could buy those things with a few months' membership fees. So it boils down to the pool. That's what I'd give up. The pool is what got me going on my exercise regime. If I did give it up, I could also justify taking a martial art. I'm moving in a few weeks, so I think I'll check out some dojos in my new neighborhood, and if I like one, maybe I'll drop the gym and join the dojo. Sounds like a plan. Gotta have a plan.

I haven't posted in a long time because I was sick for several weeks. I won't go into the details, but it was nothing serious, but I felt terrible for a while. I haven't been exercising much. I'm much better now, but I've been extremely busy at work, so I've made it to my KB class once since I returned from being sick 2 weeks ago. I worked out with KBs at home on Saturday and will resume my class today.

Around April 1 (I was out of town on the 1st, so I don't know exactly), I weighed 204. At one point while I was sick I didn't eat for 2 days and weighed 202, but then went up to 206 and then back down to 204 around the 1st. As of the 11th, I weighed 200! I'm right on the cusp of breaking through the 200 pound barrier. This morning I was 202, so I'm fluctuating a little. But soon I'll be under 200. The last time I weighed less than 200 pounds was around 1996!

We moved to a new apartment, and we're on the top floor ... part of the attic that was renovated. By the way, we absolutely love the place and are very happy to be there (this is our 3rd apartment in Vienna in 2.5 years!!). Anyway, in the unfinished part of the attic, which only we plus some building maintenance people have access to, there is plenty of room for me to set up a minimalist gym as long as I don't have too much equipment in the way of the maintenance guys. The floor is stone, so it is plenty strong for an attic. I worked out in it on Sunday, and it was great. I don't know how it will be in August. I guess I'll just sweat more.

I already have a couple of KBs. I think I'm going to get a heavy rope. I also think I'm going to get some clubbells. I have some shoulder issues, and I think that the clubbells will help improve shoulder mobility and strength as a supplement to kettlebells. I suppose I could get some weights to do squats, but I think I can do enough for my legs with kettlebells, plyometrics and sprints. Speaking of sprints, I think I've now lost enough weight that I can give them a try. I just need a good place to do them.

I did a quick swim today at the gym. I only did 10 laps for a couple of reasons. One is that my trunks kept sliding off about halfway through each lap, and I'd have to stop and pull them up or lose them. Two, I realized that I don't like swimming any more. Maybe I'll want to get back into it at some point, but I just found it tedious. Swimming was the one thing that I was holding onto my gym membership for. Now I think I may seriously give it up. I have a year left on the contract, but I should be able to transfer it to someone.

Ugh. So today is my 1 year anniversary on paleo, and I've gained weight in the last 2 weeks. I weighed 209 this morning. 2 weeks ago I weighed 200. I'm a bit bummed about that. I thought I would be below 200 by now, but I've gone in the wrong direction.

I don't think I'm eating differently, though now that I think about it, I have eaten more dairy lately. I also went several days when I hit the dark chocolate pretty hard, but I think I still stayed in ketosis when I did it. So I don't know. I probably haven't been sleeping as much as I had been. That could be part of it. Even though I think I'm in ketosis, my scale shows my water at around 65%. Usually when I'm in ketosis, it is between 50% and 55%. So I'm retaining water for some reason. Or my scale is screwy.

I'm going to drink more water today in case my body is holding onto water because I'm not drinking enough.

I've also been working out with more intensity and with heavier kettlebells. I could have gained a little muscle mass, but not that much.

UPDATE: In reading back through the blog, this was not my 1 year anniversary with Paleo, but my 11 month-iversary.
    Last edited by en2ec; 07-03-2013 at 06:47 AM.

I've been drinking more water ... 4.5+ L a day rather than 3+ L and this morning I'm down to 202, and my water % was 55% on my scale. So it looks like I was retaining water because I wasn't drinking enough.

I ordered a Strongman sandbag from Brute Force. I'll be visiting home in the US, and I shipped it there. Now I'll be able to work out there, plus it is a lot cheaper to buy them there than here in Vienna. I can dump the sand and should have plenty of room in my suitcase to bring it back.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a jungle gym xt suspension trainer too. I'm not sure I need it. I was thinking of getting a pull up bar, but those are single function. A suspension trainer can be used for pull ups plus a lot more and is very portable. The two main things I'd use it for are pullups (progressions for now) and to help develop pistol squats. And for pull-up progressions, a suspension trainer will be much better than a pullup bar anyway. I suppose if I had one, I'd probably do some push ups with it and some core exercises, but those aren't selling points for me because I can do those without it.

So, I will have kettlebells, clubbells, and a sandbag for my home gym. A suspension trainer and maybe heavy ropes will round out my functional gym. Now I just have to find someone to take over my gym membership. I'll recoup my money for equipment in only a few months after I stop paying the gym.

I had Wednesday and Thursday off work. I didn't do a conventional workout but did a lot of work around the house. I have kettlebell class in an hour. I was running late this morning and didn't eat breakfast. Now I won't be able to eat until around 2:15.

I think I'll be able to post more often with the new forum app. But now with a lot more typos!

I also like that the camera is integrated I to the the post function. I'll get back to posting food again because it greatly streamlines the process. Thanks Mark. Great app.

I reached a major milestone this morning. For the first time since around 1995 I weigh less than 200 pounds. I weighed 199 this morning!!

ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1368097257.906118.jpg

I've mentioned before that I'm a bit of a numbers geek, so I went back through my blog and charted my weight and noted certain events, such as my start weight pre-primal, when I went paleo/primal, when I went to Amsterdam, then spent Christmas in Australia and didn't work out in January, then the start of my kettlebell class, then a carb refeed.

I knew that my trips in December threw me off track, but I hadn't realized the extent until I charted it. Granted, I didn't gain weight, which is great, but it did lead to a dramatic slow-down in weight loss. I started my kettlebell class on Feb 1, but it took me a few weeks to learn the basic movements enough that I was able to truly work out. By the end of February, my kettlebell workouts help me break through a weight loss barrier. I'm not sure how much the carb refeed helped. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. I might try it again at some point.

weight loss chart v2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by en2ec; 05-09-2013 at 05:06 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My breakfast. A "sandwich" without bread. Smoked salmon and veggies and eggs. ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1368168052.530103.jpg

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast