Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: No pretending to like tofu any more!: Eric's primal transformation page 11

en2ec is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My weight has been fluctuating a lot. It was 211 today. I was sick last week for about 24 hours. I felt horrible two Sundays ago, but was fine by the next morning. In the past, I would have been sick for days or even weeks. Yay primal! But then my son was sick, and I had a stay home a couple of days with him. All in all, I've gotten off my exercise routine. I will officially start the kettlebell class on Friday, since it is the beginning of the month. I do think that mentally I've needed a bit of a break from the gym. So that I don't whither away, I started doing the "evil Russian push up program," though I've modified it so it isn't really stupid. It calls for doing pushups to failure and then based on that number, doing a percentage of them at regular intervals throughout the day for a week, then testing again and repeating. I've adapted it by giving myself recovery days in between (you are intended to do it every day, but that is just stupid, especially for a 42 year old man).

I'm getting back to my monthly weigh in, but to make it a bit easier, I'll bump it up to the 1st instead of the 26th.

Starting weight pre primal (early March): 280+
    Starting weight primal (May 26): 261
    1st month weight (June 26): 249
    2nd month weight (July 26): 241
    3rd month weight (August 26): 232
    4th month weight (September 26): 226
    5th month weight (October 30): 222
    6th month weight (November 26): 215
    7th month weight (December 26): ? (I was on vacation in Australia)
    8th month weight (Feb 1): 212

So obviously I've hit a plateau. But considering the holidays and vacation and all, losing a few pounds is better than gaining. I think the big difference has been that I haven't been going to the gym regularly this month. It snowed a lot, and I was lazy about walking in the cold and snow to go to the gym. The good news is that I've officially signed up for the kettlebell class and went to my second one today. It meets 3x a week, so I've decided to drop the bodyweight routine I had been doing, which was 3 - 4 times per week. As a replacement, I'm doing a modified starting strength routine where I do squat and bench (and also continue to work on progressions for a proper pullup). I will do this on Tuesdays and Thursdays and kettlebells on MWF. Hopefully, it won't be too much. I know I'm neglecting deadlifts and overhead press, but I think the kettlebell swings will be a good enough substitute for deadlfts, and we do a lot of overhead stuff with kettlebells, so that should be a pretty good sub for overhead press.

I also plan to start IFing again, which I haven't done this month.

Hopefully between the refocus on lifting and kettlebells, along with IFing, I'll break through the plateau in February. I am looking forward to going below 200, which I haven't been in forever. It is so close now, but remains elusive. I'm determined to get there and beyond.

I just got back from my kettlebell class and then lunch. I feel great! And it is a Monday. It is nice just going to a class and doing what I'm told and not having to be my own motivator. It helps that I trust our instructor to know what she's doing. I'd say she's WAY better as a coach (and as a successful athlete) than any of the personal trainers at the gym. In the class, I feel like I get enough personal instruction that I'm getting the benefit of having personal training, but I'm only paying 30 euros a month, which is a great deal.

I realized that I hadn't posted a photo in a while, so I'm attaching one from this morning.

Feb 2 2013.jpg

I got distracted posting the photo and forgot to finish what I was saying about exercise. I already feel much better in general and have more energy now than I have in several months. I think it is because I've gotten back into exercising with intensity regularly. As much as I love You Are Your Own Gym, I think that I wasn't working as hard as I should have been.

This will be my first full week doing a combination of kettlebells 3x per week and heavy strength training 2x. If it proves too much, I'll have to drop a day of one or the other.

I've modified my exercise regime slightly. I now only do heavy squats, bench press, and pull up progressions 1x a week along with kettlebells 3x. The 5th day is either rest or swim sprints depending on how I feel. I started out swinging a 12kg kettlebell with a two-arm swing. Yesterday, I did double one-arm swings with a 12kg kettlebell in each hand, combined with a double snatch and double press.

My weight is still basically the same. I can't quite break through the 210 pound barrier and in fact hover between 210 and 215. I don't know if this is in spite of or because of switching from bodyweight exercises to kettlebells and heavy squats/bench press. I'd like to think that I'm gaining muscle while losing fat and maintaining weight, but I have no way to prove it. I'm definitely gaining strength. I think my pants are looser, but that could be only wishful thinking. Even if I am gaining some muscle and losing some fat, I'm not losing as much fat as I'd like.

For the last couple of months, I've gradually increased my dark chocolate consumption, which I suspect may be a problem. I was eating 4 squares after lunch and 4 squares after dinner for a total of 8 squares a day. Even though it was 90%, it does add up to more sugar than I really should be consuming. I have also been drinking wine a bit too freely. I'm going to strictly limit myself to 2 squares a day and 1 glass of wine a day to see how that does.

I am considering doing a Whole30 just to get back on track.

I happened across a thread about the Shangri-la diet (SLD) on the forum. It is quite simple and very compatible with paleo/primal. You eat 2 - 3 tbsp of coconut oil a day, but you time it so that you haven't eaten one hour before and you don't eat one hour after. The mechanism isn't entirely clear. Seth Roberts is the guy who came up with the diet, and he believes our weight set-point can be lowered with this protocol, and that's why people lose weight doing it. It has to do with your brain making associations with flavor receptors in your mouth and calories consumed. The theory is that the more flavorful calories are, the more likely your brain signals to the body that you need to "store up for winter" during this bountiful season. Consuming flavorless calories somehow signals that times are tough and you need to tap your reserves and let go of your current set point. Others think the set point theory is bogus and put it all down to the satiating effect of the oil, which allows you to eat less and skip meals more often. Yet, it seems to only work with flavorless oil, so there is some connection with favor. Apparently it doesn't work with everyone, but for those it does, it is a simple hack to break through a plateau. And extra coconut oil isn't a bad thing, so there's really no downside. I don't care what the mechanism is if it works.

I decided to start this morning. I skipped breakfast today, and when I've IFed the last couple of months, I normally have terrible hunger, which is why I had largely stopped IFing. But today, I haven't really been very hungry. Placebo? Maybe. But even if it is a placebo, I don't care because ... I skipped breakfast and haven't been hungry.

I'll leave in a few minutes for my workout. Yesterday's KB class was a leg killer. I'm not sore, but my legs do feel a bit drained. I had planned to do squats today because I didn't do them on Tuesday, but now I'm not so sure. Plus, I'm finally going to check out the jujitsu class this evening with a friend from work. So maybe I should do something else in the gym today.
    Last edited by en2ec; 02-28-2013 at 02:16 AM.

I did my workout at the gym. I decided to go ahead and do squats. I did 95 kg, which is just below my highest workout weight before I stopped lifting last summer, and it was no problem.

The SLD CO trick did help me with hunger during my IF this morning, but I still ate as much for lunch as I normally would. We'll see. I guess technically I didn't fast, since I had CO, but I'm still counting it as a fast given how CO is metabolized.

For the heck of it, I decided to take my blood pressure when I was by the medical center at work today. It was 111/74 with a pulse rate of 60. Not bad. I even eat more salt now than I ever have. Let me rephrase that. I add more salt to things than I ever have before, but that could be because I'm not getting loads of salt in processed foods.

So I finally went to jujitsu class last night. Oh my god. I feel like I was in a car wreck where the car flips over a dozen times, and I'm not wearing a seat belt, and then I crawled out and ran for 10 miles. I didn't go to KB class today. I barely got out of bed.

I've had muscle aches and spasms in my upper back and neck off and on all weekend from jujitsu. I don't think I'll try it again at least until I've lost another 30 pounds or so. Even then, I'm not sure if my body can withstand the punishment.

I went to a park with my wife and son and friends of ours who have a daughter the same age as my son. We kicked the soccer ball around (it is Europe) for almost 2 hours. So that was a lot of primal play and movement. I'm looking forward to more days like that as the weather gets better. There's no way I could have done it a year ago.

I plan to go to kettlebell class today. I'm not quite healed from jujitsu, but I think I'm at the point that a workout will do more good than harm, at least I hope so.

I haven't lost any weight. I'm still at 210. The good news is that my pants are a little looser. I've dropped from being around 28% BF on my scale at home to being about 27% BF, which translates to about 2 pounds of fat lost. That also means that I must have gained 2 pounds of muscle. I don't have much faith in the accuracy of the BF %, but it has been fairly consistent, so I think the 1% drop is reasonably reliable.

Over the weekend, I made carnitas posted on MDA a few weeks ago except I used lamb instead of pork. For one, my wife doesn't eat pork, but she does eat lamb. Two, it is healthier because it is graas fed lamb. The downside is that even though it was very tasty, it wasn't quite as good as pork carnitas, which I made earlier.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast