Thread: airborne virus etc / the blame game page

captain joel is offline Member

airborne virus etc / the blame game

Primal Fuel
    Hello my name is Joel

This is my first post here

I have been eating primal for over 4 months.

I caught an airborne virus about 5 months ago where I was throwing up for 12 hours, it was really awful. I recovered, and did not think twice about it.

Last weekend I caught a virus whereby I literally just had fatigue, aching and pains, with head migraines. It took about 6 days to leave my system.

Now related to this last virus I caught and other times I have felt ill during the last 4 months, I could not stop thinking "is it my diet". Naturally I am aware that life does not work like that, you cant eat a salad par se and expect to have less chance of catching a disease than someone guzzling down a big mac, and that there are many factors involved.

Now I wanted to know if anybody else shared a similar experience. Its very funny how before I went primal, I would get sick and not think of the causes. Now I get sick and I immediately point the finger at the diet.

Could somebody give me some advice/moral support?

I am not here to say that I was under the illusion I would not get sick, in fact I have not had a cold since going primal.

Catching an airborne virus surely has nothing to do with diet and is unpredictable.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

cheers

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Correlation is not causation. I beg your pardon if this sounds blunt but it feels like you are trying to place the blame on primal. It's not as easy to follow as a common grain and carb-filled diet, maybe subconsciously you are trying to find an excuse to abandon it? Getting sick is just bad luck. Some people eat crap, drink, smoke their whole lives and live to be 90. Others eat well and stay healthy and die of a random heart attack at 50. Following primal doesn't mean you're not going to get cancer. It doesn't mean you're not going to get sick. Life's unpredictable, all we can do with our bodies is lead it on the right path and treat it well to reduce the possibility of something bad happening to it.

I've got a cold right now, if that gives me any more credibility
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    it's a brain game and you're playing along

you could ask yourself and try to answer yourself how a salad could compromise your immune system

then you could ask yourself why your last illness, preprimal, was terrible and this one, post primal, is just uncomfortable
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Correlation is not causation. I beg your pardon if this sounds blunt but it feels like you are trying to place the blame on primal. It's not as easy to follow as a common grain and carb-filled diet, maybe subconsciously you are trying to find an excuse to abandon it? Getting sick is just bad luck. Some people eat crap, drink, smoke their whole lives and live to be 90. Others eat well and stay healthy and die of a random heart attack at 50. Following primal doesn't mean you're not going to get cancer. It doesn't mean you're not going to get sick. Life's unpredictable, all we can do with our bodies is lead it on the right path and treat it well to reduce the possibility of something bad happening to it.

I've got a cold right now, if that gives me any more credibility
    Thank you for your comment and opinion I really appreciate it.

Let me reiterate, I am not actually blaming anything, nor am I asking why I was ill. I just pointed out how funny our minds work, and wanted to know if anybody else had a similar experience. Merely to converse about it and to poke fun at our silly minds.

I assume its a natural response one experiences. We go through a lot of effort eating well, but this cant stop us catching nasty viruses. It was hard for me to accept. I am not a victim. I am just venting a bit.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    how do you know it was air-borne, and not from contaminated food? even the best grass-fed pastured meat, if improperly handled at some point, could have buggies on it. same with produce. organic is no guarantee of food safety.

all my life i suffered severe bronchial issues. colds 5-6 times per year, coughing so bad i burst blood vessels and spit up blood. often vomiting mucus when i woke up in the morning. nice, huh? since ditching grains 2.5 years ago i have not been sick once. not once. yes, i blame my diet.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

That is very interesting, the things is it was not food poisoning as such as the symptoms were complete fatigue and migraines but you are correct, I am not sure it was air-borne , I am glad to hear your not getting sick anymore

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I think you and I got the same virus. It was like an annoying low-level flu that came with a killer headache for about 5 days for me. I had it last weekend.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, that was it, apart from i was literally in bed for 5 days and had a temperature after the second day for two days , i also nearly fainted on a plane back from rome as I was ill throughout the entire weekend of my mates birthday trip, I was locked up in a hostel room haha