Thread: Blood test results after 5 months Primal - enter confusion page

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member

Blood test results after 5 months Primal - enter confusion

So I had my first medical check up in many, many years this week as part of a pre-employment medical. All good on the BP, sats, pulse etc. Then the doctor tells me my blood tests were all good, except that I have high cholesterol. And that's all he says, doesn't advise me to do anything about it, doesn't tell me to change my diet, anything. I've been reading Mark's posts about Cholesterol and Griff's primer but I'm still not sure I'm getting my head round it. Add in the fact that the readings seem to be using a different scale to most of the other results posted here (might be a US/Australia thing), and I'm confused as to what to make of it.

It doesn't help that I'm getting all the "I thought this would happen"-type comments from family based on what they know about my diet, even though I have nothing to compare it to from my pre-primal days! Cue comments about cutting down on red meat etc.

So here's the data....

Total Chol. 6.7 (mmol/L)
    HDL Chol 2.2 Desired range >1.0
    LDL Chol 4.3 Desired range <2.5

Trigs 0.5 Desired range <1.5

LDL/HDL ratio 2.0
    Chol/HDL ratio 3.0

So, any thoughts? Should I be concerned or not. My instinct tells me no, but it's hard to shake the feeling when everyone's telling you it's bad news. Also, is there a way I can convert these figures into the system they use in America so I can compare them better, or not?

Thanks as always for your time and considered responses.

total 259
    hdl 85
    ldl 166
    trigs 44

Quote Originally Posted by newlifejourney View Post
    total 259
    hdl 85
    ldl 166
    trigs 44
    Thanks! What system did you use to get that?

an online converter. I am Canadian so I need it too. OnlineConversion.com - Cholesterol Converter

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Those numbers look fine to me. Your ratio is good, and since the LDL is not broken down into the 'fluffy' and 'dense' proportions, that number is essentially meaningless. 259 to the 'old standard' of 220 is high, but not crazy high. I would not worry, unless it keeps going up and up over the course of a year. One test does not a condition make. And since you have nothing to compare it to from before, you may be down!
    Take another test in three months. Put it out of your mind until then.

Thanks Sabine, that's what I figured. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it for now and test more regularly than once every 30 years!

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Spend some time here - The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. | Peter Attia, M.D., explains why everything you think you know about nutrition is wrong.

If you read nothing else (it's all worth it), do read his series on cholesterol (now on part 6). Gotta read #6 m'self.