Thread: new to cow pooling here page

Brent* is offline Senior Member

new to cow pooling here

Primal Fuel
    So I want to buy my grass-fed meat in bulk and hopefully save a ton of money. My only question is, how do I know what is a good farm to pick my meat from? I've been using the website eatwild.com to look for a farm in my area (Seattle). Looks like this stuff sells out quick so I want to jump on something. Looking to buy at most half a cow (around $200 seems to be the going rate).

questions I have though are...

1) will I get funky meat that I don't want (i.e. liver, tongue...insert funky meat here _____, etc)? I had a friend who did cowpooling several years back and he got several cuts he never used or really wanted to use.

2) How do I know the quality of the meat is good? Do they usually trim the meat so there isn't a ton of prepwork to be done at home? I've also heard people say you can get some meat that is really fatty and time consuming to trim yourself.

I guess my biggest concern is paying for the meat and the quality or taste isn't good. That would be a bummer.

I plan on contacting several farms in the Washington area this week to see what I like. Just was curious how you guys pick your cowpooling source and if there is anyone from WA here , that would be awesome to know what you picked and why!

thanks guys!
    Brent

Ermintrude is offline Junior Member
    You can use Home Grown Cow to find farmers in your area who sell directly in bulk. You ask some good questions, and the folks at Home Grown Cow can mediate between you and the farmer and help you with your cutting order etc. Unlike other farm directory websites, Home Grown Cow is more than just a directory, they can actually help you place your order, they hold your payment until you have your meat and everything is as you were told it would be. We've been buying our meat directly for about 12 years now. It's so much cheaper and the meat is better than anything we can get at the grocery store.

We order by the quarter, and it lasts us about 6 months. We do take the funky stuff and bones for our dogs, but you can request not to have them. If you are concerned for quality and taste, you could order a cut or two first, then order some bulk. Also many farms on Home Grown Cow sell cuts as well as quarters, but also in family packs of 30-50 lbs, so there's really a lot of options. You no longer need to find like-minded friends to divide a cow among. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you!

Brent* is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Ermintrude View Post
    You can use Home Grown Cow to find farmers in your area who sell directly in bulk. You ask some good questions, and the folks at Home Grown Cow can mediate between you and the farmer and help you with your cutting order etc. Unlike other farm directory websites, Home Grown Cow is more than just a directory, they can actually help you place your order, they hold your payment until you have your meat and everything is as you were told it would be. We've been buying our meat directly for about 12 years now. It's so much cheaper and the meat is better than anything we can get at the grocery store.

We order by the quarter, and it lasts us about 6 months. We do take the funky stuff and bones for our dogs, but you can request not to have them. If you are concerned for quality and taste, you could order a cut or two first, then order some bulk. Also many farms on Home Grown Cow sell cuts as well as quarters, but also in family packs of 30-50 lbs, so there's really a lot of options. You no longer need to find like-minded friends to divide a cow among. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you!
    thanks! I will try this out. I imagine though that meat sells out pretty quickly so I should stock up for the summer and fall? Or is it easy to order more in say a month or two?