Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I Want To Be Wrong. page 3

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    i hear what you're saying. let me break it down. for the low level stuff, i walk my dogs every day. 2.5 miles. no big deal. 3 days per week i do the big lifts. squats, deads, presses, pullups etc. then 1 day a week i do some sort of HIT circuit. that usually involves the sprints, the plyo pushups, rope climbing, tractor tire flipping, jumproping, etc. then, usually on saturdays i do a nice long mountain bike ride. pretty intense for a few hours. throw in a day or 2 of boxing drills and sparring (i work with a friend who is an amateur mma fighter) and that wraps it up. now that being said, things change from season to season. during the summer i cut back on the heavy lifts a little bit, and do more bike rides, the occasional 2.5 mile jog, and a little more of the outdoor circuit work. and in the winter it goes the other way: more indoor heavy lifting, less walking dogs, outdoor workouts, bike rides, jogs, etc. and i'm always good about taking time off. i'm not really new to this kind of stuff at all.
    Walking your dog every day, 3 days of heavy lifting and a day of sprints sounds awesome. Now that you're throwing in boxing and sparring and long bike rides, that is clear overexertion. That is double what you should be doing IMO. I can see why your body is breaking down. You're not giving it enough time to rebuild itself. At least that's how I see it.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    Don't know where you live; have you ever noticed that hot/cold weather affects your body comp at all? I'm pretty tied into a yearly cycle: In fall when the temperature drops, I start craving sweet potatoes and more calories in general, and I gain a few pounds for the winter months. Then when the temps start rising in spring, I crave watermelon and strawberries and raw veggie salads and don't have as much of an appetite for meat, and I lose a few pounds. Could this be the missing link in your plan?
    I had intense cravings for butternut squash, spaghetti squash, pumpkin and sweet potatoes all fall and winter. Now that the weather is warm they have totally disappeared and I have little desire to eat squashes. Except sweet potatoes, which I associate with post-workout recovery. I simply cannot tire of sweet potatoes. If I could only eat two foods for the rest of my life, it would be beef and sweet potatoes.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    well i gotta follow this one. choco, you have balls & backbone. that takes you a heckuva lot further in life than most people.

i had a similar history to you, getting into this. carb paranoia at first, CICO re-acceptance, and now i go through periods where i track very closely, and then make it a point not to track at all. i've absolutely noticed that bigger deficits simply don't yield faster losses in the real world. the small deficit seems to work best!

good luck, keep up the thread.
    Last edited by jakey; 05-31-2012 at 01:07 PM.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Walking your dog every day, 3 days of heavy lifting and a day of sprints sounds awesome. Now that you're throwing in boxing and sparring and long bike rides, that is clear overexertion. That is double what you should be doing IMO. I can see why your body is breaking down. You're not giving it enough time to rebuild itself. At least that's how I see it.
    i hear ya 100%. at most i can cut the heavy lifts down to 2 day, and the boxing down to 1. plus a circuit day. so that makes 4 hard days. plus a long ride. plus walking the dogs. then we might take the canoe out one day, take a short jog, play basketball, etc. my wife and i are active people, and most definitely not sit-on-your-ass people. so that makes it hard. we'll hop on our bikes for 15-20 miles of trail riding and not even consider that a workout day. that's just what we do.

i hear ya 100%. at most i can cut the heavy lifts down to 2 day, and the boxing down to 1. plus a circuit day. so that makes 4 hard days. plus a long ride. plus walking the dogs. then we might take the canoe out one day, take a short jog, play basketball, etc. my wife and i are active people, and most definitely not sit-on-your-ass people. so that makes it hard. we'll hop on our bikes for 15-20 miles of trail riding and not even consider that a workout day. that's just what we do.
    Well, there's a trade-off. If you love the lifestyle, then you should keep it up. However, you'll just have to eat more food and take more whole weeks off from lifting I suspect. Maybe you should take every 4th week off from lifting and sprinting and just do your walks and fun stuff (bike rides, boxing, etc) on those weeks. You'll STILL be FAR MORE active than the average American. You sound extremely active - more than me - and I have to take a week off every 6-8 weeks or it catches up to me, and I suspect I'm younger.

Well, there's a trade-off. If you love the lifestyle, then you should keep it up. However, you'll just have to eat more food and take more whole weeks off from lifting I suspect. Maybe you should take every 4th week off from lifting and sprinting and just do your walks and fun stuff (bike rides, boxing, etc) on those weeks. You'll STILL be FAR MORE active than the average American. You sound extremely active - more than me - and I have to take a week off every 6-8 weeks or it catches up to me, and I suspect I'm younger.
    when i was younger and lifitng heavy like a madman, i used to take every 8th week off. that was when i was 22-25. now i'm 33. maybe you're right. maybe i do need a week off of the intense stuff once a month. hmmm.. now if i can just figure out how to take that week in a different tropical location....

when i was younger and lifitng heavy like a madman, i used to take every 8th week off. that was when i was 22-25. now i'm 33. maybe you're right. maybe i do need a week off of the intense stuff once a month. hmmm.. now if i can just figure out how to take that week in a different tropical location....
    NJ isn't tropical enough for you? Haha, my old stomping grounds!

I have the most trouble with a week off. I have extra time and I feel lost without my rigid routine. I hope you're more relaxed than I am.

NJ isn't tropical enough for you? Haha, my old stomping grounds!

I have the most trouble with a week off. I have extra time and I feel lost without my rigid routine. I hope you're more relaxed than I am.
    oh man... jersey in the house!

there is most definitely nothing tropical about jersey. maybe the mosquitos. there are a couple nice beaches though. a couple hidden gems...

i can do a week off. like i said earlier, it's not like i would sit on my ass anyway. i'd still take my dogs out, and probably ride my bike once or twice. any more than a week though, and i'd go nuts. unless i'm too hungover, i don't even stop working out on vacation. pushups, bodyweight squats. pullups on decks/staircases. maybe even a short jog on the beach

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    chronic undereating does cause metabolic issues. especially when the undereating is paired with low carb diets and intermittent fasting - I also learnt that the hard way. I was all about bigger deficits for faster fat loss. That with lower carb (under 100g on non training days) and intermittent fasting not only screwed up my metabolism but also screwed up my hormones. How do you fix it? Well not dieting is one thing. Even though you feel chubby right now, it's probably not a good idea to try to lose the "fluff" at the moment. It's highly possible that some of the fluff is just water weight from the increased cortisol in your body due to undereating (and intermittent fasting). I'm not suggesting you give up intermittent fasting if that's a way of eating that works for you, but you should definitely consider eliminating any kind of deficit. Eat at maintenance for 14 days, keep the carbs ups, the fats moderate, the protein moderate. You don't even have to stop training -although deloading (less sets) - would probably be a good idea since it sounds like your body is pretty taxed out at the moment anyway.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Well, I think you look great. But I've read you for hours and know you're a very smart and intense guy and won't be happy until you've decided it's RIGHT. I adore following your posts and if I'd had a kid I'd want him as obsessed as you, LOL. Love your recipes here and your site and bought a cute little ice cream maker just because you said so:-)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast