Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do I sleep better in a light room instead of a very dark room? page

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member

Why do I sleep better in a light room instead of a very dark room?

I live in a busy area where at night it is bright in my room at night ;I had sheer curtains on my windows. I have taken the advice to sleep in a very dark room to get better sleep. I bought very dark curtains and it makes my room pitch black at night, no light gets in anymore. However, for the past 2 weeks with the dark curtains I have tossed and turned and have not slept good AT ALL. But when I had the sheer curtains where it was light in my room at night, I fell right asleep and slept well. What could be the reasoning of this? Do I need to get out in the natural light/sun more during the day in order to sleep better in a very dark room?
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    You're probably nocturnal, like me.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't buy the need for pitch dark to sleep, that it is more natural. I slept outside in the wilderness for 6 months and half the time the moon is bright enough to disturb your sleep even in the forest with all the trees surrounding you.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I sleep way better in the dark, personally. SB, did you cowboy camp the whole PCT?
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    There is no paleolithic basis for sleeping in pitch dark. I just works for some people. There are good reasons to avoid bluish light, which Grok never would have experienced at night.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    No idea but it's usually the same for me. I can sleep with any light except for that damned street light right outside my window. I swear to god I'll be finding a way to get rid of it soon enough.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    I can sleep like the dead in any light, or lack thereof, always could.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I sleep way better in the dark, personally. SB, did you cowboy camp the whole PCT?
    No, I slept in a tent. The moon was bright enough to penetrate the fabric of the tent. It was light gray. Some nights the birds start singing because even they can't sleep.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalprincess7 View Post
    But when I had the sheer curtains where it was light in my room at night, I fell right asleep and slept well. What could be the [reason for] this?
    Perhaps just that it's what you're used to and there's now a change in your habits.

Do I need to get out in the natural light/sun more during the day in order to sleep better in a very dark room?
    Well, yeah. For circadian rhythms to be right you need to get more intense light in the day as well as proper dark at night-time.

For more see Lights Out:

http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-Sle...dp/0671038680/

That's well worth buying and reading.

Robb Wolf has a short post that's worth a look:

Sleep, Sleep, Sleep! How artificial lighting and cortisol impact zzz’s

Best to stick with it rather than take the curtains down even if you're taking a longer time to drop off right now. Experiments have shown that even a tiny light shone behind a subject's knee is enough to severely impact his release of melatonin. You need that to happen for a number of reasons.

As well as being out more in the day, you might try ensuring that the room is relatively cold -- possibly even having a cool bath before bed if the weather's hot. A magnesium supplement -- something most if not all of us need anyway -- seems to help with sleep if taken before bedtime. There are a number of other things you can do. Lights Out has much more and Robb probably has more information around on his site, too.

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you all for the great insight! I appreciate it. Last night I took down the dark curtains and slept in the lighter room and I fell asleep immediately and slept deep and woke up with more energy than I have in the last 2 weeks. and yes, I do try to keep my room on the cooler side as well!
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast