Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Excuses people make page 2

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    "I can't give up bread"......
    "I cant give up pasta"......
    "I can't give up sugar"......
    "I can't give up pizza"......

How about: "In retrospect, this has made my life much easier. Saying "no toast" when I order an omelet/eating steak and salad instead of pizza/drinking water instead of coke took some serious effort at first, I'll give you that. But hauling those extra 50 pounds around all the time was definitely harder. And it's become effortless. I literally don't want those foods anymore."

"I'm a vegetarian"......

I just go with "How's that working out for you?" Usually it addresses itself.

I think it takes time for people to come to terms with the fact that everything they've been told about nutrition is wrong. They see something working, and they are only ready for a tiny tidbit of knowledge. They dip their toes in the water, by asking you how you did it. Then they take their toes back out, by making a silly excuse.

They know it's not logical. It's like when someone breaks up with you and says "It's not you, it's me." They're engaging in subterfuge, not rhetoric.

Yeah, ditto on all those.
    I hate the "You can't eat this/that?" Well, yes, I CAN eat those things, I DON'T WANT to eat those foods. CAN'T implies it's a diet, DON'T WANT TO implies it's a personal choice of mine.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

I still get mocked with "how's that fruity hippy caveman diet thingy going"? At the same time though, I'm finding a lot of those same people eventually start asking me more and more questions about food choices.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    I know I could never give up dairy. I drink 2 lattes or coffees with milk/cream daily, I eat Greek yogurt almost daily, and I eat cheese almost daily. I probably consume 4-5 servings of dairy daily. I don't like vegetables - 2 servings a day is usually all I can muster - so if I gave up dairy, my diet would basically be just meat, nuts, and fruit, which isn't terribly exciting or portable. I have a busy job where I sometimes literally have 45 seconds to grab lunch and things like apples or steak aren't exactly good pocket food, whereas some cheese in a ziplock bag is a quick convenient source of nutrients.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Every time I hear "I can't give up X" I respond with "try it for 30 days because you can do anything if you know that there is time limit". I usually get a sputter at this point and then an odd look of I never thought of it that way.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    One of the most common excuses that i hear are that "I dont' have time to exercise and cook like that" but oddly enough, these same people manage to find time to watch TV in the evenings, stop by the fastfood places for dinner and go to appointments with doctors to treat their CW induced medical conditions.

And what is really sad is that I hear these excuses from the people that are the closest to me.

Amen to this^

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    "but I'm a vegitarian"......answer...."you know that cows are vegitairian as well"

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    I hear the same excuses all of the time, especially from people who are seeking my advice. I just tell them that my lifestyle (after I tell them that I'm not "on a diet") requires zero effort and involves zero cravings, which is the truth. Of course, I am open with them, telling them that it was very difficult at first and involved a lot of willpower, research and adjustment, but now I don't even need to think about it.

I recently realized that I have no desire to eat dairy any more, which was a staple of my diet in my Atkins days. It's just one more thing that I don't really need, so I have just adapted to living without.

I also inform people that there are no nutritional issues from eating this way, which often comes up in the conversation. I can easily come up with a dozen different 1500 calorie days that meet 100% of my RDA on all nutrients, at least the ones graphed on fitday and the others I watch. Granted, I rarely aim for only 100%, but 1500 calories is way low so there's always room to add more nutrients.
    I wish I liked to eat liver.

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    Were you not ever guilty of those excuses... or others? You can't make anyone SEE, they have to work it out for themselves. Concentrate on you, forget about other people.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

amdws1234 is offline Member
    I usually go with... "there isn't a pie/cake/(insert shitty food of choice) in the world that trumps how good I feel every single day not eating it."

That usually shuts them up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast