Thread: When you eat might be as important as what you eat study page

jk19 is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb When you eat might be as important as what you eat study

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I saw this article, thought it might be interesting.

When you eat may be as important as what you eat | Obesity Panacea

Don't like the fact that they're inferring that the results of the study imply we should eat during the day, especially given the results and arguments from the Lean Gains site, but it does put more evidence about not eating all the time (although the idea of keeping the metabolic furnance burning at all times has been debunked) is likely better for you.

Thoughts?

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Seems like evidence for IF, rather than anything relating to eating at specific times.

jk19 is offline Junior Member
    Yes, it does. Looks like there's a more detailed article here:

Extended daily fasting overrides harmful effects of a high-fat diet: Study may offer drug-free intervention to prevent obesity and diabetes

Also interesting to see that the diet involved was a high fat diet as well.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Very important study IMHO. I had been eating a very primal 3 meals plus snacks for 2+ years and resisting IF. And my liver enzymes were above the normal range. The study convinced me to cut back to mostly a late morning meal and dinner most days. We will see what the numbers show in a couple months.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

noreaster is offline Junior Member
    That is great news, and to be able to point people to a very current scientific study is so helpful. I have been shocking my friends/familiy for quite some time as I've been doing the IF 16/8 lifestyle. Things are really starting to snowball over the last several years with studies like this. But so many people really don't bother to ever try to advance their knowledge of dieting, being very comfortable with the conventional wisdom of eating often and lowfat.

I just hope that the truth of findings like this are not silenced and kept out of the mainstream news by those health/fitness/food industries with deep pockets.

meepster is online now Senior Member
    This is fascinating. I find that I'm naturally falling into a two-meal-a-day pattern, one at about 11am and one at about 5pm - so I guess I'm doing the 16/8 protocol? I don't handle "regular" fasting very well, but this seems to be what my body requires.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Been off breakfast after eating it religiously for a decade- always high protein with intention of getting blood sugar stable early in the day. Happier without & also down to a ridiculous jean size for my age- 24/25- closer to a zero while in late 30s I was headed to a 2.

Primalwombat is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meepster View Post
    This is fascinating. I find that I'm naturally falling into a two-meal-a-day pattern, one at about 11am and one at about 5pm - so I guess I'm doing the 16/8 protocol? I don't handle "regular" fasting very well, but this seems to be what my body requires.
    This is where I have naturally settled to, with lovely 18-24 hour intermittent fasts occasionally. Makes me feel great, and limits calorie intake substantially. When I started eating primally about a month a go, I had trouble stopping eating when "not hungry" as opposed to "full", but this pace of eating seems to take care of that problem, too.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    The whole logic behind intermittent fasting is to control insulin spikes with meal frequency rather than composition.

If you attempt to affect insulin via meal composition, you're pretty much relegated to eating fat exclusively, and this is obviously not going to work.

If, on the other hand, you eat one meal a day, you will get one insulin spike a day and have done with it.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Ayreos is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meepster View Post
    You too? Can i know how many calories you consume per day on the average? And per meal?