Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ghee versus Kerrygold page 2

cma77 is offline Member
    Shop Now
    I think just like butter ghee will vary from brand to brand. Purity Farms brand was the first one I tried and I wasn't impressed...at all. Then I ordered from Pure Indian Farms and their ghee was fantastic (at least to me), a really rich flavor. They also have these falvored ghees that are lovely as well, the Digestive Ghee is my favorite on a hot sweet potatoe or even a bit in a cup of hot coffee or tea. It's pretty pricey stuff though.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Use your kerrygold to make ghee. Problem solved.

Making ghee is rediculously easy, plus you get to control the quality of the ingredients.

Cover mesh strainer with a few layers of cheesecloth. Take 2 sticks butter. Melt at low heat in a pan. Continue to cook until foamy. Watch carefully, and cook until the milk solids will begin to brown slightly and sink to the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat. Pour butter through strainer into a heatproof jar. Allow to cool, and store in the fridge.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, everyone!

plastic is offline Junior Member
    ghee is magic for roasting vegetables, imo

oxide is offline Senior Member
    It's not one size fits all.

I use coconut oil for cooking meat.
    I use butter for vegetables.
    I use ghee for frying eggs, and in Bulletproof Hot Cocoa.

Butter has a better taste because the milk solids provide some sweetness, but ghee is better for hot temps.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    It's not one size fits all.

I use coconut oil for cooking meat.
    I use butter for vegetables.
    I use ghee for frying eggs, and in Bulletproof Hot Cocoa.

Butter has a better taste because the milk solids provide some sweetness, but ghee is better for hot temps.
    Very helpful - thank you!

Beefy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
    Use your kerrygold to make ghee..
    +1.

I'm a strong proponent of making your own clarified butter. Very easy and you get to make sure it is coming from the best source possible.

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    Kerrygold Irish butter is pretty ordinary as butter goes IMO and I much prefer the taste of President unsalted French butter from Normandy. Kerrygold is not a gourmet/premium brand in the UK. Butter can burn but if you add a little olive oil, it should be fine.

Ghee is amaaaazing. Like melted Cornish clotted cream (and not the bottled stuff available in US as that tastes nothing like real clotted cream). I buy mine from Spices of India as they have the manufacturers of Khanum ghee do their batches without ethyl butyrate and it's the only ghee I can find without that in the UK.

Beefy is offline Member
    Any grass fed butter works. Kerrygold is popular in the US since it is widely available.

LeaB is offline Member
    Do you have to refrigerate ghee? I have had it on my counter for quite a while....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast