Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My blood sugar spiked up to 9.2, not diabetic! Panic? page

camel is offline Senior Member

My blood sugar spiked up to 9.2, not diabetic! Panic?

Primal Fuel
    I'm having a little panic session here. Ive been under 50 carbs and always when I test my sugars are in the low normal range. Today I had 1 Thai salad roll with a little peanut sauce and about 1/2 c cooked rice with about 1/2 c cooked veg/chicken on it. pretty small portion, i was sharing. After an hour I felt a little funny. Finally 1.5 hrs after eating I tested my blood sugar. 8.8 thought it must be a mistake, so I tested again, 9.2 !!!
    I know above 7.8 does damage.
    So I'm posting this from my exercise bike.
    Scared the daylights out of me. Does this mean I am diabetic?
    Or is it because I'm not used to carbs?
    I used to have low blood sugar issues, but eating primally has stopped that mostly.
    Aaaaaah.... Please help!
    Last edited by camel; 05-30-2012 at 08:48 PM.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    You need to stop testing your blood sugar. You are not diabetic, there's no need to.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    I'm having a little panic session here. Ive been under 50 carbs and always when I test my sugars are in the low normal range. Today I had 1 Thai salad roll with a little peanut sauce and about 1/2 c cooked rice with about 1/2 c cooked veg/chicken on it. pretty small portion. After an hour I felt a little funny. Finally 1.5 hrs after eating I tested my blood sugar. 8.8 thought it must be a mistake, so I tested again, 9.2 !!!
    I know above 7.8 does damage.
    So I'm posting this from my exercise bike.
    Scared the daylights out of me. Does this mean I am diabetic?
    Or is it because I'm not used to carbs?
    I used to have low blood sugar issues, but eating primally has stopped that mostly.
    Aaaaaah.... Please help!
    What is a Normal Blood Sugar?

Testing yourself is actually quite smart. It lets you know how you react to various foods without relying on some random schmuck on the interwebz proclaiming what may or may not be safe.

Avoid the foods that cause your readings to go high: How to Lower Your Blood Sugar

After an hour on the bike I'm back down to 3.9. So that's good. I don't want to panic over nothing, but it's a bit scary! I guess I'll keep an eye on it for a while and see how it goes.

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    Peanut allergy? I doubt the white rice did the spike.

JS is correct if you can find the foods the cause the greatest reaction then you a one step closer to finding the lowest inflammation path for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    Peanut allergy? I doubt the white rice did the spike.

JS is correct if you can find the foods the cause the greatest reaction then you a one step closer to finding the lowest inflammation path for yourself.
    Interesting idea! But I do eat peanut butter several times a week. Maybe it was something else in the food? It was probably about 80-100 carbs, max. It was a small portion. Was shocking to see the number up so high. Can stress make it worse? It was a stressful day to boot. Got a killer headache tonight too.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I think it's obsessive to check your blood sugar if you aren't diabetic. To know how my body 'reacts' to various foods is not important to me as long as I'm not experiencing symptoms. For example, I know that anything with a sweet taste (artificial sweeteners included) is a trigger for me and incites ravenous hunger. That's surely an insulin response and testing my BS would not be helpful. I know that I'm slightly sensitive to gluten because I did an elimination test, but, again, my blood sugar is not the issue with that 'food.'

If the OP has a concern, then visit a doctor and get tested for diabetes. Trying to self-diagnose with blood sugar readings is fraught with problems because of all the variables involved, IMO.

I probably feel this way because 1) I hate the thought of a finger prick--always the worst aspect of donating blood for me; 2) because I'm hypothyroid, I have blood tests every 4 months, and my endo always tests my A1C, so I know that I'm not diabetic.

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    Am I missing the point here or did the portion you had actually have 80-100 g of carbs? If that was really the case, which I doubt, that was a whole lot of carbs in one meal, so it was only logical it spiked your blood sugar. If you mean that the whole meal had 80-100 g of carbs and you only ate, say, 1/3 of that, then the amount of carbs you ate was significantly smaller, but probably still enough to spike your blood sugar. Of course, low-glycemic index carbs will cause less of a spike, I assume, but then it depends on a lot of things.

My point is, if you really did eat 80-100 g of carbs in one meal, you shouldn't be surprised your blood sugar went up.

Well I punched it into a carb counter and came up with 60 carbs. The meal had not much protein or fat, but some. So that is what I wonder. Does every normal, non diabetic person react to a meal like this the same way I did? Would 60 grams of carbs leave you with 9.2 (165) blood sugar 1.5 hours after the meal?
    I've never seen a spike in myself that high. Anyone else?
    Is it scary enough to talk to my doctor about? Or is it normal?
    Is it because I am low carb?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Well I punched it into a carb counter and came up with 60 carbs. The meal had not much protein or fat, but some. So that is what I wonder. Does every normal, non diabetic person react to a meal like this the same way I did? Would 60 grams of carbs leave you with 9.2 (165) blood sugar 1.5 hours after the meal?
    I've never seen a spike in myself that high. Anyone else?
    Each person's response will be a little different. But it's good for your own self discovery how you're affected by various foods.

Is it scary enough to talk to my doctor about? Or is it normal?
    What is a Normal Blood Sugar?

Is it because I am low carb?

How to Lower Your Blood Sugar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast