Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Doing what you love? page 2

Shop Now
    I have a job similar to yours. Sitting on my tail for 9hrs a day. It's not the most enjoyable thing in the world but it pays the bills and allows me to come home to those I love. That's what is most important. I love to write and to become an author has always been my dream, but until that happens I'll be driving into work and sitting down.

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    Hobbies often become great businesses. Begin studying for what you want to do while you're working that job you hate. Just sitting and wishing won't cut it.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    We decided that we are okay with less money so that I can SAH with our children. DH is looking for a new job that pays a little better or lets us move to a cheaper area. We won't be able to buy our kids everything they want or go on extravagant vacations, but our goal is for me to remain at home until they're in college so there's always someone here for them if they're sick or have trouble at school. I've even joked about homeschooling.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatty View Post
    Hobbies often become great businesses. Begin studying for what you want to do while you're working that job you hate. Just sitting and wishing won't cut it.
    I wouldn't want to make my hobby into my main job, though. That would just create unnecessary pressures on things I should be enjoying to do, not obligated to do.

AyaPapaya is offline Member
    Thanks for sharing, everyone!
    I am so inspired by people who take risks for their own happiness. I really admire that.

I'm a very, very cautious person. I grew up in a low-income family, scraping by, worked since I was 14, you know the story. Because of this I am a little over the top about saving money. Ok, maybe VERY over the top.

My co-workers were cracking up at me the other day...someone was talking about grocery shopping and I mentioned that I refuse to pay more than $1 for this, or $2 for that. If it's not on sale or a good deal, I don't buy it, no matter how much I want it. It's just absolutely ingrained in me to live like a poor person, even though we are doing totally fine financially.

So, there's a little internal conflict going on here

But the time to make a change is near, so I'll just have to get over it and take some risks! My husband is going on the job market in a few months (grad student at the moment), and we've discussed that when he gets a job it's my turn to find out what makes me happy. If I can make some decent money at whatever that is, then great. If not, we'll be fine. The way he put it is: "The way I see it, now's my turn to bring home the bacon. You can bring home the eggs...or the cheese, whatever's cheaper." Love him.
    "Imagine all the people, living life in peace..."

"Nothing will work unless you do."

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Every job becomes a pain in the ass unless you are really lucky. I LOVE animals, so I pet sit on the side. It is so much fun to meet and hang out with new pets. But what I'm really paid for is driving in traffic, reliability etc. and it becomes a drag over time. My "real job" is ok.

I think you need to try what you might want to do part time. I was a barn manager during an unemployed spell. I learned quickly I was not up for that kind of work.

It's weird, I like to do a lot of different things vs. just one thing. Makes it hard to build a job out of hobbies. I think the best job for me would be to own a B&B for people that loved horses. I'd love cooking for people and riding with them and caring for their horses and keeping the house in order.

AyaPapaya is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    It's weird, I like to do a lot of different things vs. just one thing. Makes it hard to build a job out of hobbies. I think the best job for me would be to own a B&B for people that loved horses. I'd love cooking for people and riding with them and caring for their horses and keeping the house in order.
    This is exactly like me!

I have several 'dream jobs' that I feel would be a good fit, based on my hobbies. But my number one 'dream job' (obviously I know it would come with its share of annoyances) is to own a B&B...probably just for people who love food and relaxing though
    I seriously LOVE cooking for people and cleaning...organizing a cupboard or something puts me in a great mood...wow, I am a huge nerd.
    "Imagine all the people, living life in peace..."

"Nothing will work unless you do."

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    LOL nothing nerdy about being organized, keeps you sane!

Yrs ago I called my husband from an office job I liked okay but I had so much idle time because I WAS organized and got my work done and just sat there thinking of all I could be doing at home, and I asked him if I could quit, he said, hell yeah, go for it.

I started keeping books at home and part time, couple of mornings a week for a super guy at his office. Made more $$, had time for some awesome gardens, flower beds, pets galore, having fabulous food cooked when sweetie pie got home, better moods, cleaner house, more time to exercise, more time to search out sales, etc. DH agrees today best decision we ever made.

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    My day job is soul-crushing. It pays ok, has state/union worker bennies I can't get anywhere else, and is fairly stable. But it's in a bureaucratic institution so it's packed with chickenshit straw bosses who have made careers out of doing nothing but micromanaging lower level staff. My particular work is also pretty meaningless and not engaging, so I have lots of time to think. I usually stay mentally busy with planning farm stuff, which is my real calling. Once I'm home, I'm doing what I love, which is growing food and raising livestock, for my household and for sale. If I ever lose my job (budget cuts are a constant threat) I'll ramp up the farm work, but there's no way it can replace the paycheck I earn now.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    I thought the whole idea of unions was to prevent all those evil profit making capitalist corporate owners from keeping all those evil profits to themselves.

However, in government there is no profit or greedy capitalist owners, so why do you need a union?

Anyway, the good news is that unions destroy every industry they get involved in, so we can be sure unionized government employees will destroy government.
    Last edited by Grok; 06-02-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: British spell checkers are wrong. Just wrong.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast