Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega 6:3 ratio page

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member

Omega 6:3 ratio

Primal Fuel
    I started using paleotrack.com to see how I'm doing nutritionally. I am strict paleo, and I also don't eat nuts, seeds, eggs, etc for autoimmune protocal. But my omega ratio isn't where I want it to be. I can balance it with a couple teaspoons a day of fish oil, but I'd like to try to do it with food. Seems that chicken reall throws it off. Do I need to worry so much if my omega 6 is coming from free range chickens and not nuts and oils?

Also, so far, 63% of my calories are from fat... Thanks to the coconut oil on my salad... Too much?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    Also, so far, 63% of my calories are from fat... Thanks to the coconut oil on my salad... Too much?
    No, that's fine. Eat whatever macros you like. Just make sure to get ample protein and you can use whatever macros work best for you.

Chris Kresser did an excellent series of posts on omega fatty acids. He recommends getting omega-3 from actual fish instead of fish oil in most cases and also goes into how absolute amounts of omega-6 and omega-3 must be considered, not just the ratio:

The fish vs. fish oil smackdown
    How much omega-3 is enough? That depends on omega-6.
    How too much omega-6 and not enough omega-3 is making us sick

Sounds like you are doing pretty well. I would not worry too much.

I just sorted my list by omega 6 content... Turns out most of it is coming from the avocado I ate, not the chicken. I thought those guys were healthy. No? Eat just a bit notnthe whole? Eat 3 and die happy?

apple is offline Senior Member
    I think if you get a good quality, liquid fish oil to take every day, you don't need to worry about it being technically supplementation. It's still food, it's from a very primal food, and it shouldn't contain additives that could do harm to you. Honestly, if that's the only supplement that you take, you are way ahead of the curve. Way back in caveman times, all of our meat would have been free-range, grass-fed, etc. The higher levels of omega 3 in them were enough then. Nowadays unless you want to eat exclusively fish and grass-fed ruminants (cows, bison, etc.), taking a fish oil supplement really just "makes up" for what is missing from the meat we can get our hands on. As long as you aren't partaking of the high omega 6 foods (and that seems to be the case), you shouldn't have any problem!

If you feel good at the fat %age that you are currently hitting, no need to change anything.
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    beyond the ratio, you have to consider the overall amount of PUFA in your diet. if the overall amount is really low, and if you're eating primally, and avoiding the foods that you are, it is, the ratio becomes less and less important.

skip the fish oil, imho. it's never once been shown to even correlate with any health benefits, as opposed to eating fish.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I went through this, too. I will parrot what others have been saying around here. Rancid, industrial fried omega-6 oils are not the same thing as natural, fresh chicken fat. The kinds of oil that are killing America are soybean oil, canola oil and other seed oils. Avocados and poultry are real food, it does not make sense to avoid them.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    I'm curious how you find paleotrack.com compared to other sites such as Fitday and Cron-o-meter. I'm not a very happy user of the free version of Cron-o-meter: too hard to enter own recipes and too little cooked food nutrition info (vs. raw ingredients). Does Fitday and Paleotrack.com allow you to track Omega 6 vs. Omega 3? Reliably?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    I started using paleotrack.com to see how I'm doing nutritionally.

I just want to do it perfectly ya know?
    Last edited by GeorgiaPeach; 05-30-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
    I'm curious how you find paleotrack.com compared to other sites such as Fitday and Cron-o-meter. I'm not a very happy user of the free version of Cron-o-meter: too hard to enter own recipes and too little cooked food nutrition info (vs. raw ingredients). Does Fitday and Paleotrack.com allow you to track Omega 6 vs. Omega 3? Reliably?
    I haven't used paleotracker.com long, and I haven't used the other sites. But it does let you enter custom foods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast