Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Five-year-olds treated for depression and anxiety page 2

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    ... But in any case, are the children "depressed" or "anxious" or should they be characterized in some other way? Are they disturbed because of difficult social situations? (In some cases, doubtless -- the BBC throws in the story of the child lowering the toy out of the window.)
    the only thing disturbing about that anecdote was an adult allowing a "disturbed" child near a drop off like that. the kid's behavior seems experimental and playful rather than disturbed, based off of the information we have. in fact, i didn't see any evidence that kids are any more disturbed. maybe i missed something, but it seemed like kids were having issues and adults and doctors were quick to jump on labels and drugs instead of looking in the home to see if some changes in dynamics would "fix" whatever problems the kids were experiencing.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    All kids are gonna have issues - fact! As parents, we need to help them through them as best we can. Good food, lots of play time - outside if possible and lots of encouragement. I'm sure a few beers or glasses of wine will make them "feel" better too, but few of us would suggest that that's a great idea. Life can be tough - you can't fix everything with a pill. If we were all out looking for where our next meal was coming from (hunter gatherers), there would be little time to worry about the silly stuff we come up with these days. Our kids are the very lucky ones (even though we are evil for not buying them bread and cereal)

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    ... in fact, i didn't see any evidence that kids are any more disturbed. maybe i missed something, but it seemed like kids were having issues and adults and doctors were quick to jump on labels and drugs instead of looking in the home to see if some changes in dynamics would "fix" whatever problems the kids were experiencing.
    All that seems entirely possible.

In fact, I begin to wonder who fed the BBC the story.

Children as young as five are being referred for treatment for depression and anxiety, the BBC has found.
    "Has found". I guess what that actually means is someone told them that, tipped them off. What was that someone's purpose? I hope the purpose wasn't to create the impression that children are "depressed", when as you say it may be more a case of their "having issues". I can certainly imagine pharmaceutical companies seeing children as a potential new market.

I guess most people start Paleo/Primal to lose weight or get more healthy. But look into it long enough and one thing one learns is not merely about this or that food to eat, which I guess is what people first opening a book on Paleo expect, but the extent to which we're all being manipulated all the time. That goes for food, cleaning products, and even prescription medicine.

It starts with adverts with tigers and "honey monsters" pushing sugar-laden 'breakfast cereal" at you before you can walk and goes on from there.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post

"Has found". I guess what that actually means is someone told them that, tipped them off. What was that someone's purpose? I hope the purpose wasn't to create the impression that children are "depressed", when as you say it may be more a case of their "having issues". I can certainly imagine pharmaceutical companies seeing children as a potential new market.
    "having issues" could be anything from stress in the family, inappropriate parenting or standards, even unaddressed abuse. it's irresponsible if psychiatrists are dosing kids up with drugs instead of finding workable family solutions. if there's truly a problem with the child, the entire family should be in therapy together long before any mention of drugs comes in to the picture.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12