Thread: Calcium page

Bosnic is offline Senior Member

Calcium

Shop Now
    I'm beginning to think Grok did not eat as many vegetables as we think. Vegetables are without calories, and many of their nutrients are poorly absorbed unless they're steamed/boiled. Assuming we ate very small amounts of vegetables, if any, where did we get our calcium? Milk is not a good source of calcium as the calcium in milk is not very bioavailable to us.

My first thought would be from inadvertently swallowing bone fragments while devouring an animals, whole bones from smaller animals and fish, and also eggshells.

Thoughts?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    I'm beginning to think Grok did not eat as many vegetables as we think. Vegetables are without calories, and many of their nutrients are poorly absorbed unless they're steamed/boiled. Assuming we ate very small amounts of vegetables, if any, where did we get our calcium? Milk is not a good source of calcium as the calcium in milk is not very bioavailable to us.

My first thought would be from inadvertently swallowing bone fragments while devouring an animals, whole bones from smaller animals and fish, and also eggshells.

Thoughts?
    Ron Rosedale – Healthy Bones | Me and My Diabetes

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    From reading about the traditional aboriginal diet I remember reading their calcium percentage was pretty high considering they didn't consume dairy. It was over 1000mg and it mostly came from wild nuts,insects, seeds, fish bones and tubers.

choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    Grok ate veggies. Maybe not as much as the big ass salad eaten daily by Mark. But Grok would have eaten most veggies he could have gotten his hands on. What would he have eaten on those lean days when there was no catch? He would have gone weeks and even months without even a single catch. His first choice would have been tubers like yams, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, taro, etc. But then he also would have eaten any edible ferns -- i.e., any green veggies that may have resembled today's spinach, kale, collard greens, etc., along with mushrooms, fruits, nuts, etc.

Anything edible would have been fair game. Why, even tree barks and human flesh. Those who claim that non-tuber vegetables are not appetizing do not realize how rough our ancestors had it. Hunger was the main drive triggering survival instincts in the Paleolithic age. Even if ferns, shrooms, and other ancestral veggies may not have been appetizing by today's standards, our ancestors ate them to survive. You develop your palette after you've reached an agricultural or industrial age when you can reliably put food on the table. No one could in the Paleolithic. It was not possible to be fastidious or discriminating. You ate what you saw or killed. It's time to wake up, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    I'm beginning to think Grok did not eat as many vegetables as we think.
    Last edited by choppedliver; 05-30-2012 at 02:02 AM.