Thread: Workout suggestions to get to 10km page

BigJilm is offline Senior Member

Workout suggestions to get to 10km

Primal Fuel
    Hi All,

I've been Primal for about two months, and have a 10km fun run coming up in September which I will do with some workmates.

I've never been a runner (or exerciser) for that matter and currently don't do any exercise aside from walking mins 2-3 times a week.

I wanted to do some preparation for the fun run and wondering how best to tackle this.

Should I concentrate on the PB Fitness Plan including sprints, or some longer duration cardio or both?

I dont see how sprints can help toward me running 10km, but I've read it can... I'm not sure I guess.

Any advice would be great - thanks!
    I'll be back

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Gradually increase your distance in a less than 70% max heart rate weekly run. Vary your speed - faster, slower, faster, etc. Get to where you can do more than 10km. If you are only doing it for fun, that is enough.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJilm View Post
    Hi All,

I've been Primal for about two months, and have a 10km fun run coming up in September which I will do with some workmates.

I've never been a runner (or exerciser) for that matter and currently don't do any exercise aside from walking mins 2-3 times a week.

I wanted to do some preparation for the fun run and wondering how best to tackle this.

Should I concentrate on the PB Fitness Plan including sprints, or some longer duration cardio or both?

I dont see how sprints can help toward me running 10km, but I've read it can... I'm not sure I guess.

Any advice would be great - thanks!
    AEROBIC CONDITIONING AND SKILL CONDITIONING

deburn is offline Junior Member
    Hi BigJ, that's an exciting goal and should be doable provided your goal is primarily to just complete without injuring yourself in anyway, and if you end up doing good time that's great.

The Couch to 5k Plan at Cool Running is the best known and has helped a ton of formerly sedentary people get off the couch. This website has links to other programs as well.

They don't include weight training, but that's something you should consider adding.

Hope this helps, and good luck! Keep us posted!