Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Fails page 6

DeilaMiah is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Lo and behold, I had discovered a way to make charcoal on the stove-top. And how to smoke a house.
    Dunno why but this made me LMAO! Reminds me of my *ancient history*.

Hubby and I made a huge pot of popcorn (old style, on the stove). I took the popped pot of corn off the stove and went in search of a big enough bowl. Found one and accidentally put it on the hot burner to pour the popcorn in. Needless to say, melted plastic bowl onto hot electric burner with noxious gas fumes FILLING the house instantly.

Is that a cooking *fail*?!?! :::scratching head:::
    If you do not stand behind your military, feel free to stand in front of them!

EMAIL ME!

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    DeilaMiah - love it!

I'll tell you another one... also early in the marriage...

My husband came into the marriage with the strangest pot-holders I had ever seen: they were the usual square, terry-towel kind of things you get everywhere, but had magnets sewn between the layers of fabric so you could stick them to the fridge. Hubby wouldn't even look behind him most of the time - just throw the things backwards and they had enough magnetic force that they would find the door of our big 'ole fridge and stick. He just loved that - a low-energy pot-holder system.

Well, one night we had a big dinner going with guests and all, and lots of stainless steel pots and pans just everywhere in various stages of cook and prep. Hubby didn't pay attention well enough and one of the suckers stuck itself to the bottom of a pot just as he was putting it on the hot burner to cook...

Yup - more smoked house!

(BTW - never saw Ft. Bliss, but I was born in Ft. Leonard Wood... then on to Ft. Benning.... and after that Ft. Hood.... two stints in Germany with the Sargeant dad... but he did it long enough ago that I remember playing with C-rations as a little kid and thinking that all those little cans and stuff were the most fun way to eat ever)

seashells is offline Senior Member
    oo! I have one! I was making steak au poivre and got my kitchen torch out to burn off some cognac and didn't realize it was on high. Scary little explosion I had there. Always check the setting on the blowtorch.

And yet another one from me...

I own a sweet set of pressure cookers with safety lids and handles. Well, one day I decided that pressure cooking beans for dinner would be good. Loaded up the beans, water, and extras, put the handle and lid on (handle and lid are separable in this set) the biggest pot, put it on a low burner, and went to shower up.

Shower is done and am getting dressed when I hear rattle-rattle-rattle - wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee BANG!!!!!!!!!!!

I ran downstairs to find the lid to the pressure cooker still spinning in the middle of the kitchen floor and beans are dripping EVERYWHERE. And I do mean everywhere - down the fronts of all upper and lower cabinets, down the walls, off the back of the stove, from between the jars on the wall-mounted spice rack, every inch of kitchen floor... I could only stand there and cry... when we moved out of that house a couple of years later, we still found petrified beans in odd spaces between cabinets.

As for the "safety" portion of this story, dummy here put the lid on, but did not lock it. Never made that mistake again.

Rynamo is offline Member
    Tried scrambled eggs and canned tuna. Just for future reference, not a good combo. Really, don't try it. It will haunt you for life.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Frying bacon and spilling water into the sizzling bacon grease, sans shirt... This one seems to repeat itself though...
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Quote Originally Posted by seashells View Post
    Always check the setting on the blowtorch.
    Oh, hell!! I can't stop laughing...

I know kitchen torches exist, but all I could think about is Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor from that old TV series Home Improvement, trying to soup up every appliance in the kitchen, and always having things end in explosions and reunions with the local fire department...

I'm glad you are okay! (more chuckles)

DeilaMiah is offline Senior Member

Unhappy

My Newest Cooking SUPER FAIL!!!

I bought a popsicle mold to make Paleo Pops for the GrokToddler. I bought these gorgeous fresh strawberries and tossed them into my BlendTec with some coconut milk and coconut water.

Un-molded these beautiful popsicles for me and GT and, while eating them, got a mouth full of the green strawberry caps. UGH! I forgot to pull the caps off before blending them.

So, I'm wondering if I should toss them, melt them down and pick the caps out or just eat *around* the caps.
    If you do not stand behind your military, feel free to stand in front of them!

EMAIL ME!

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeilaMiah View Post

So, I'm wondering if I should toss them, melt them down and pick the caps out or just eat *around* the caps.
    I'd go for eat around the caps.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    You're supposed to eat the strawberry greens. They're good for you - seriously. I don't do it all the time, but it is a different way to get your "salad greens" in.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast