Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooking Fails page 4

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    GF and I tried a dry rub on some nice pastured ribs once. I didn't look at the recipe for the rub, but would have realized that it was basically 2/3 salt by volume and was some kind of typo/mistake on the recipe. Ended up choking them down so as not to hurt GF's feelings, but it was hard and we were bloated for days.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    The first time I made chocolate chip cookies myself (I was little, but I don't remember what age) I was making a double recipe. We always doubled recipes in our house, so it was perfectly normal. Only I doubled everything but the flour.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Seriously though, I once made an entire dish with lots of cinnamon, which was needed, only to discover upon trying to eat it that said red powder I was thinking was cinnamon was really cayenne. Yeah, labels. Read them.
    I switch the cumin and cinnamon bottles about once every 3 months. It's not so bad getting a little cinnamon in a savory dish, but the cumin is NOT good in rice pudding or tea
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Meegads is offline Senior Member
    I LOVE this thread.

I'm usually a pretty good cook - it's what I do for a living, so I HAVE to be! - but I have those FAIL moments just like anyone else. I have a couple that happened recently.

I was frying some chicken thighs for dinner a couple weeks ago - something that I do quite often. I have the technique down pretty much pat, but for some reason, this evening was NOT working out! Burned the chicken, undercooked my sweet potato, overcooked my broccoli, and got popped in the lip by hot lard to boot. Hubby was laughing at me...I was sorely tempted to bash him over the head with the skillet full of oil.

Then, a couple of days ago, I was preheating the oven for sweet potato chips, not realizing that my stepson had left the cast-iron skillet in there. I opened the oven, saw the skillet, pulled it out with a hot pad, and set it on the stovetop to cool. Finished prepping my sweet potato chips, put them in the oven, started preparing the other components of my dinner, saw the skillet in the way, and, not thinking, grabbed it bare-handed. Dropped it and cracked my brand-new glass stovetop from front edge to back burner. *sobs*
    Life is short. Eat Beef!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fabbecky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Long time ago--I was stirfrying chicken and grabbed the jar of dried garlic chips. I started to shake some out and the lid fell off and the entire contents of the jar went in (3/4 cup or so).
    Decided to eat it anyway and it was delicious. Apparently there's no such thing as too much garlic.
    Never too much garlic - have you made 40 clove chicken? I usually need at least 2X as many cloves, but the supreme garliciness is oh so yummy

Quote Originally Posted by Meegads View Post
    I LOVE this thread.
    ... Dropped it and cracked my brand-new glass stovetop from front edge to back burner. *sobs*
    this would totally have me sobbing to...

My personal - in heating oil to make fried something, and forgetting that coconut oil has a lower overall smoke point that the rancid vegetable oils I used to use and nearly setting my kitchen on fire. Managed to remain calm despite shooting flames reaching my ceiling and top my pot with a big lid to cover the flames and eventually smother them. Only reason I am still allowed in the kitchen is that my husband was out of town at the time. I did learn that my new Paula Dean cookware can stand up to a fire (including the glass lids) and still cook beautifully afterwards
    Quote Originally Posted by L8F View Post
    ... I drank the fermented koolaid, and am totally on board...

I'm alergic to carbs - they make me break out in fat!

mycatsnameisbug is offline Junior Member
    This thread reminds me of a good friend of mine and I trying to have a "sophisticated" dinner party at the age of 16. We decided to make a dark chocolate berry bowl. The recipe said to dip blown up water balloons into melted dark chocolate to make the "bowls". We only had regular balloons- but whats the difference? Apparently the difference is that the regular balloons are thinner and pop when covered with hot melted dark chocolate... all over my best friends (OCDcleanfreakdontyougetfingerprintsonanything) mother's kitchen. Of course she ran into the kitchen as soon as she heard the balloon pop. Luckily, she had a sense of humor- and she still speaks to me years later lol.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabbecky View Post
    Never too much garlic - have you made 40 clove chicken? I usually need at least 2X as many cloves, but the supreme garliciness is oh so yummy
    Actually, I *have* just discovered too much garlic. Locally grown (so super strong), dice up 4 cloves, then sprinkle over the top of a stir-fry on my plate. Should have been two cloves.

lftw8s is offline Junior Member
    I have a good one..and it certainly qualifies as a 'fail'!

...I often bake spaghetti squash and was really craving one. Went to the store and there was a huge bin of them. Grabbed one and as I was passing through the cash, thought to myself 'wow...this is the brightest, most yellow one i have seen'....but oh well..I bought it and went home. A few days later, I bake my squash. Odd..usually I can smell it cooking, but this time I cannot. I pull out of the oven and cut into the squash.... and MUSH runs all over my pan! Oh no! What happened to this squash?! Is it rotten???

...and then....as I am surveying this mush before me..i see a wee little white sticker on the squash...that reads : yellow honeydew.

...of course, my kids were in the kitchen just in time for the 'reveal'...and now whenever i cook anything, they say 'are you sure it's not a melon?' LOL

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    We did a pumpkin themed dinner a few Halloweens ago (10+ pumpkin dishes). My contribution was Pasta w/ sausage in creamy pumpkin sauce. Unfortunately my roommate handed me a can (which I didn't read) of pumpkin pie mix instead of regular pumpkin. I doctored the hell out of that thing. It was still possibly the nastiest thing I've ever made. I refused to eat it, but everyone else loved it. No leftovers.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Meegads is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lftw8s View Post
    I have a good one..and it certainly qualifies as a 'fail'!

...I often bake spaghetti squash and was really craving one. Went to the store and there was a huge bin of them. Grabbed one and as I was passing through the cash, thought to myself 'wow...this is the brightest, most yellow one i have seen'....but oh well..I bought it and went home. A few days later, I bake my squash. Odd..usually I can smell it cooking, but this time I cannot. I pull out of the oven and cut into the squash.... and MUSH runs all over my pan! Oh no! What happened to this squash?! Is it rotten???

...and then....as I am surveying this mush before me..i see a wee little white sticker on the squash...that reads : yellow honeydew.

...of course, my kids were in the kitchen just in time for the 'reveal'...and now whenever i cook anything, they say 'are you sure it's not a melon?' LOL

LOL my husband mistook cucumbers for zucchini one time, and fried them up with onions and garlic. It was...interesting. Now whenever he mentions zucchini with dinner, we all gleefully remind him to make sure he grabs the right vegetable.
    Life is short. Eat Beef!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast