Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooking Fails page 2

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    for years i tried braising arm roast, and stopped the cooking when it started to get tough. i eventually gave up thinking that it was something i'd never figure out. finally i tried again, this time cooking it for hours after it had already gotten tough and suddenly it's melt in your mouth! so many roasts wasted!

another was liver chili. it was only a semi-fail because i was serving it to a bunch of people who had the munchies and i was one of the only people who had brought food. so i didn't want to touch the stuff because it was gross, but the entire pot was empty by the time i left.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 05-29-2012 at 10:11 PM.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    for years i tried braising arm roast, and stopped the cooking when it started to get tough. i eventually gave up thinking that it was something i'd never figure out. finally i tried again, this time cooking it for hours after it had already gotten tough and suddenly it's melt in your mouth! so many roasts wasted!

Ugh....I fell victim to this MANY times. Once I fell asleep while cooking and left the roast in for what I thought was waaay to long only to find out I finally had the tender, succulent roast I always wanted!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Cooking, thought I'd try to make a duck curry once, got to say it turned out disgusting, mostly my own fault, pity I like duck, and love curry, together, horrid, have never tried it again!

Learning, purchased my first fan oven the other week, ain't gonna stick my head in front of the oven whilst opening the door again, bit like sticking me face into a blast furnace!!

Cheers

patski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JennaRose View Post
    making my first paleo meal (coming from vegetarian), i was heating up a pan of butter on the stove for some eggs. while waiting for that to heat up, i was washing some dishes. i dropped a wine glass into the sink and it broke against another dish. so i scooped up the broken pieces and swiftly turned toward that garbage can to toss is (small kitchen) and my arm bumped the hot frying pan and it fell to the ground while grazing my arm on the way down creating the largest burn i've ever had. this was october, its now almost june and the burn isnt quite gone still. :C incroyable!!
    Honestly, the BEST thing I've found for burns is NEEM OIL. It stinks like garlicky peanut butter. But the next day, I swear...it's like the burn NEVER HAPPENED.

TRUE STORY!

Ok, Doc, I love this thread. The title made me LOL, honest.

I posted on my blog about Mini-Meatloaves/Muffins/Whatevs. Part of the recipe was adding in small chopped up pieces of leftover roast beef: lots of fat.

I gapped, but didn't think to put a pan underneath to catch the fat drippings. Needless to say, it didn't take long, but the SMOKE coming out of that damn oven tripped BOTH our smoke detectors! I had every freakin' window on the first floor opened. Wifey sat on the couch while on the interwebs shooting daggers at me while I scrambled to de-smoke the kitchen.

LOL! Funny now, not-so-much back then!

I almost always burn myself in the kitchen. Or fat just loves me and splatters onto my arms. What a nasty betch!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

canio6 Guest
    I once cooked a steak only to discover I had waited too long to pull it off the heat. It was medium rare. The horror!

Seriously though, I once made an entire dish with lots of cinnamon, which was needed, only to discover upon trying to eat it that said red powder I was thinking was cinnamon was really cayenne. Yeah, labels. Read them.

Hmm...a couple years ago I bought a deep fryer for turkeys. I learned you never assume that your turkey didn't come with a giblet bag...
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

angekfire is offline Junior Member
    My girlfriend one time tried this parsley-mint sauce recipe I had found for chicken. I had bought fresh mint & parsley for the sauce, and fresh dill for something else. When she checked the fridge for the herbs, she only saw 2 herbs and assumed they were parsley and mint, but it was actually dill and mint, she missed the parsley. So the sauce ended up coming out tasting really really nasty.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Failed omelet, folded 3 or 4 times and then plopped in the serving dish..

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I once cooked a steak only to discover I had waited too long to pull it off the heat. It was medium rare. The horror!

Seriously though, I once made an entire dish with lots of cinnamon, which was needed, only to discover upon trying to eat it that said red powder I was thinking was cinnamon was really cayenne. Yeah, labels. Read them.
    i mixed up chili powder and pumpkin pie spice once.

canio6 Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    i mixed up chili powder and pumpkin pie spice once.
    Yup easy to do.

Back in the day when keeping multiple reptiles I used to keep calcium powder in an old salt shaker. My mil once seasoned an entire meal with calcium powder thinking it was salt.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast