Thread: Healing foods for a fractured rib? page

Healing foods for a fractured rib?

Primal Fuel
    I strayed off of the primal diet, and got hit with pneumonia (lesson learned). After weeks of coughing, I ended up fracturing my rib. Besides eating primally, what are some additional steps I might take to recover quickly (beyond the doctor's orders to rest)? My first thought is bone broth, as I am trying to heal a bone. Are there other foods that may help my recovery? Supplements? What about fasting?
    Thanks in advance for any tips!

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    Protein.

Annana is offline Senior Member
    Comfrey root in the form of tincture or tea is a very effective bone healer. Its other name is Knitbone, and it works very fast.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Time, it heals all wounds.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I'd like to hear someone more knowledgable than I weigh in on calcium sources, as that's important for bone growth and health long term. Not so sure about injury recovery, but it wouldn't hurt to try keeping dairy up in the form of greek yogurts and whole milk and butter.

Ribs?

Thanks for the suggestions. "Ribs" made me laugh! I just might have to grill some up to test out the theory.

I stopped at Whole Foods on my lunch break for the comfrey root. The clerk told me that WF doesn't sell it, due to "controversy" (real helpful...). A quick Google search says it was pulled by the FDA in 2001 due to liver toxicity and cancer. I may still check at the local health store, because I can't imagine that a few weeks would be that harmful. Any thoughts?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by butterphly01 View Post
    I strayed off of the primal diet, and got hit with pneumonia (lesson learned). After weeks of coughing, I ended up fracturing my rib. Besides eating primally, what are some additional steps I might take to recover quickly (beyond the doctor's orders to rest)? My first thought is bone broth, as I am trying to heal a bone. Are there other foods that may help my recovery? Supplements? What about fasting?
    Ron Rosedale – Healthy Bones | Me and My Diabetes
    Joint Health | Glucosamine | Chondroitin Sulfate | MSM | DMSO

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. "Ribs" made me laugh! I just might have to grill some up to test out the theory.

I stopped at Whole Foods on my lunch break for the comfrey root. The clerk told me that WF doesn't sell it, due to "controversy" (real helpful...). A quick Google search says it was pulled by the FDA in 2001 due to liver toxicity and cancer. I may still check at the local health store, because I can't imagine that a few weeks would be that harmful. Any thoughts?
    Look for comfrey leaf, not the root. That should be available.

I have no medical knowledge, but I imagine the diet recommended for restoring tooth enamel would help with bones, too. Couldn't hurt, could it? That's rich in minerals and fat-soluble vitamins. Raw dairy if you can get it (I can get the cheese, not the milk any more), good quality cod liver oil and butter oil (Green Pastures is good if you're feeling wealthy), broth, fish bones (as in tinned sardines), sunlight...

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Tylenol? What kind of stupid question is this? Are you trolling here? You are implying that you got pneumonia because you weren't eating primally? What?