Thread: Does Kombucha contain Vitamin B12? page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

Does Kombucha contain Vitamin B12?

Primal Fuel
    I'm a huge fan of Kombucha. I buy GT's Raw Synergy brand but can not wait to make my own.

On the bottle it says it contains 20% DV of Vitamin B12.

Is this possible?

I thought Vitamin B12 only comes from animal foods so I am quite curious. However, there is a lot of healthy bacteria that forms with kombucha.

Oh and they do NOT add any of it in. It has apparently been tested to contain Vitamin B12 from the fermentation process.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Anyone?

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Sure, fermentative bacteria can produce B12. The bacteria in our colons actually produce it too, but we can't absorb it there so it all gets pooped out. Poop is a good source of B12.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    It's possible. It totally depends on the individual culture. There's a lot of variation in kombucha so it's hard to know for sure what's in each bottle unless you test it. (Even more true for home brew.)

Paleobird Guest
    The brand I buy at Sprouts (cuz I'm too lazy to brew my own) is Kombucha 2000. It says 20% DV on B12 also for a 12 oz bottle.

I just always thought that it was impossible to get usable Vitamin B12 from a non animal source. I guess this assumption may have been wrong!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The brand I buy at Sprouts (cuz I'm too lazy to brew my own) is Kombucha 2000. It says 20% DV on B12 also for a 12 oz bottle.
    Too lazy! Its so simple!! It doesn't take much more time than making a pot of tea.

I've been brewing my own for a couple of months and I'm seriously addicted to the drink and the whole process in general. I've gotten really good at growing Scobys so now I'm giving them away and getting my friends hooked.

Does it have B12? Who knows. Is it the magic elixir 'they' claim it to be? No idea. But its a tasty, healthier alternative to soft drinks, juice (not that I drank juice to begin with), and cider. And I do get a little rush after drinking it sometimes.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Timthetaco Guest
    I was just on the B12 wikipedia page earlier, and it mentioned this. The claim hasn't been verified, but there are a couple non-animal sources that have biological activity in rats: batabata-cha and purple laver. The tea is a lousy source of B12, so I'm assuming the kombucha fairs no better. But it hasn't been verified, so...