Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Teenagers on Forum page

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member

Teenagers on Forum

Primal Fuel
    As many of you have noticed, there are a number of teenagers who may or may not have eating disorders that are on this forum basically looking for weight loss advice. This is worrying for a number of reasons. Obviously, there are a lot of people here who are appropriately aged and legitimately need to lose weight; this is a great forum for these people to give and receive support. However, it is no doubt triggering and harmful for teens with eating disorders. What's worse, it is obvious that many people do not read these kids' entire posts and proceed to encourage them to fast or give up nuts or dairy or carb cycle or some other inappropriate advice.

PLEASE be more cognizant of the advice you give and to whom you give it. These kids are very impressionable and some of your comments may have profound effects on them. I think that the MDA forum is wonderful, and great for the right people, but 14-year-olds are not the right people, so, as adults, we should all be more responsible about how we respond to them.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Hear, hear!

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I think it's more important to ALWAYS stress an appropriate awareness of one's body image for EVERYONE, not just teenagers. Why should it matter any less for adults? Our advice shouldn't be any different depending on age. It should be elevated as a whole. So much of the Primal/Paleo ought to be understanding that "you are what you eat" and all that; not "go low carb to look sexy, you stupid fat fuck."

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    I do not disagree, but...

Parents should be more aware of their teens activities. There are solid indicators of eating disorders that any parent should be able to spot. IN addition, a parent ought to know what their child is reading online. It takes little effort to log activity and see that they are reading things that a parent may not want their teen reading.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigigaw View Post
    Parents should be more aware of their teens activities.
    And that is the parents' responsibility; not ours.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    My parents tell me to eat less. Now according to Everybody on this forum I should not be following that advice. I was cooking steak for dinner and my mom said (jokingly though) "are you ever gonna eat normal portions?"
    Billie trips balls

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    My parents tell me to eat less. Now according to Everybody on this forum I should not be following that advice. I was cooking steak for dinner and my mom said (jokingly though) "are you ever gonna eat normal portions?"
    Your mom may not be aware of what a normal teenage boy consumes. My DH often worries about how we're going to afford feeding DS when he gets to be a teenager.

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    carlh, I'm not sure why you're getting all pissy. I actually agree with most of what you're saying. I'm just encouraging people to think a little more carefully about how they respond, especially to people who clearly have unhealthy relationships with food.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I did not get the impression that he was being pissy, just thought he was pointing out that while it's good to be aware of your audience and how you want to address them effectively and appropriately, it's not our job to filter information for any kids out there. So on the one hand, yeah, it's good to be wary of what you're saying, but not to the extent that you are trying to be a parent to these people.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Yup, and to my kids annoyance... I know everything they do. MUAHAHAHAHA

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast