Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 LastLast

Thread: Whole 30 for June page 53

islandwahine is offline Member
    We are fortunate to have a few trees on the property that we are renting from! Living in Hawaii is a blessing and more so if you can get fruit and veggies FREE or cheap because it is very expensive!!! It would cost me around $4.00 or more for 1 avocado in my local grocery store and around $3.60 per LB for a mango...I get mine from the farmers market for $1.00..looking forward to the farmers market this weekend....Canada is on my list of places to visit!

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I buy my avocados at the supermarket, usually from Mexico or other Central American countries. They are as expensive as $1.50 a piece, or as cheap as 5 for $3.99 (my usual way to get them). They are smaller fruit when bought in the net bag of 5, but since I eat a whole one each time, the smaller ones are actually the best for me. I generally have to ripen them on the counter for a day or three, then pop them in the fridge and they stay a perfect ripeness for use in salads. I noticed in today's flyer that they are on sale for $3 for the 5-pack this week - must stock up.

$4 for an avocado, in a place where they can grow, seems criminal.

Day 28: B: 3 slices bacon, 2 farm-fresh pastured eggs (one was a double-yolker - Score!), sauteed spinach, black coffee. L: BAS with an avocado and a tin of tuna in olive oil, strawberries, tea. p.m.: fresh peas in the pod, unsweetened iced tea. S: Baked chicken leg quarter (sprinkled with salt and herb mix, baked until quite crispy - delish! With home-made caesar salad (no cheese in mine, bacon bits, no croutons. More iced tea - it's hot here today!

For the first time ever, I took the juices and fat out of the chicken baking pan and poured it into a small glass dish to keep to make something tomorrow. It was just too tasty to throw out.

Only 2 more days until the end of this Whole30. Actually I'm at Day 60 today. Will relax (a bit) for Canada Day festivities on Sunday, but likely will try to stay at least 90% Whole30 compliant through the next week (my birthday, my anniversary and a weekend motorcycle trip). Then likely back on the wagon until I get to my goal weight of 135 lbs. I was 142.0 again this morning, 3rd day in a row.

dragonjax is online now Senior Member
    Marthat, you're AWESOME. Just thought I'd say it.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Hey, Marthat, how big do avocado trees get? Maybe an avocado tree is something that would do well as a potted tree in the house?? At least for the winter months?
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Hey, Marthat, how big do avocado trees get? Maybe an avocado tree is something that would do well as a potted tree in the house?? At least for the winter months?
    Well the ones I saw in Guatemala were huge, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't be grown in a large pot at home, like a citrus tree. My neighbour has a prolific lemon tree in her house, in central Canada.

Here's a pic from my last trip south. I was sufficiently jealous of the "pick-your-own-avocado" concept that I took a pic of the tree. That's a one story building you see in the background. I was standing on top of a large cathedral at the time of the pic.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Marthat, you're AWESOME. Just thought I'd say it.
    Awwww! Thanks! The best thing is that I'm not finding this hard at all. And I'm really loath to change anything. Even for Canada Day and my birthday. I think I'll allow a bit of alcohol (the non-bloating variety), maybe a bit of cheese if unavoidable, but that's about all. I have ZERO desire for grains or sugar and their bloating ways - yuck.

This morning, I pulled out my whole stack of shorts and capris (about 8 pairs) and tried on all of them. In Feb, when I was going to Guatemala and needed summer clothing, absolutely nothing in my collection of clothing fit below the waist - absolutely nothing!! That's the difference that 15 lbs makes. This morning, everything in that stack of bottoms did up. A couple will be a better fit in about 3-5 more lbs, but they all fit. Hallelujah!!!!! I'm sitting here sipping black coffee and wearing my all-time fave capri's - YEAH!!

HopelessDreamer is offline Senior Member
    Thanks,Marthat! I needed the reminder that bone structure matters: I have a friend who is also our height and very small boned. She looks TINY next to me! And I think I weighed 130 when I was 15....soaking wet! LOL! I dont think I could get that skinny now and be healthy. But I FEEL healthy now, and I look fine - people tell me I look good. Considering I'm 49, I'll take it! Its all good!

HopelessDreamer is offline Senior Member
    By the way,I have an avocado in my living room in the NE USA...its growing ito weird shapes as it hits the ceiling. I dont think I have room for it to get big enough to bear fruit, but it is quite a conversation piece!
    Also, thanks for the Whole 30 thread - today is my anniversary and I made chocolate dipped strawberries for dessert tonight. Its primal, but my first chocolate in 29 days. Not too bad - so I'm done, since I will have a trip next week, too. Not enough control over food choices to be Whole 30 again, but if I can stick with Primal, I'm good. I am off gluten, sugar and artificial sweetners. I may have butter and cream, we'll see. SO I think I can do some cooking at my relatives houses, and I'll just be real careful with restaurant food. Good luck everyone, I may start a Whole 30 for August thread!!

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well I'm back from a few days away in montauk with friends and family.... 7am beach run and sprints were amazing but totally kicked my ass. Food choices were fine, lots of drinking but I stayed strong w club soda and lime! I did snack a lot. More than usual, but kept up w good choices. Nuts and dried fruit were my best friends. Cant believe we're almost done w our30!

Jealous of those avacado tree!