Page 42 of 55 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole 30 for June page 42

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Well, I feel a little foolish since I'm the one who started the Whole 30 thread...but I'm done. Last night and this morning, I was a mess. Crying. Could barely get off the sofa. My energy over the past two weeks has been fading. I've been depressed. I have food issues that I'm still working through -- former bulimic, still with a very effed up self image; I look in the mirror and see someone who is fat, even though I know I'm just a little overweight and not even close to being in unhealthy territory -- and every day those food issues are getting worse, along with the crying/depression/emotional overload. So I decided that effective immediately, I'm back to primal, aiming for 80/20. Primal plus -- including rice and even the occasional Ezekiel bread.

I don't know if something got knocked out of whack hormonally from the diet change, or if this is just part of the awesomeness that is being perimenopausal, or neither, or a combo, or something else entirely. I'm going to continue supplementing with vitamins (D3, omega 3/fish oil, B12, folic acid, magnesium), and I'm going to monitor my mood and energy levels. I don't want to return to talk therapy and an antidepressant, but that's back on the table.

Anyway. Sorry about the dumping. I'm still cheering for everybody. Be healthy, be happy, and be proud of yourselves.

HopelessDreamer is offline Senior Member
    good luck JackieKessler! thank you for starting this, and I hope you feel better. Part of the point, is to know what works for you and what doesnt! Good for you for realizing that you need to change something!
    Let us know how you are doing.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Nothing wrong at all with 80/20, sweetie.. Not many people can do that. You just take care of you. Big hug, Judy

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    I think part of this 30 day journey is all about learning what works for you.... So, well done Jackie for figuring out important things like that!

So as for me.... Been doing well food wise, yesterday I felt like I wanted to eat anything that wasn't nailed down. Made some great paleo coconut shrimp. That helped. My husband is also deployed to Afghanistan, so I'm constantly stressed and thinking about him coming home and when our next move is happening. I moved back w my parents so I wouldn't have to live alone across the country again. Obviously stressful in itself haha! I guess I'm overly emotional the last few days. Need to get over this hump!

In the meantime,husband is majorly jealous of my whole30. He stays primal as much as he can in Afghanistan. I give him a ton of credit! I don't think it's nearly as hard for me as it is for him. I just think of that when I'm hurting!!!

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Ps Jackie. We're moving upstate past syracuse when my husband returns! Currently down on long island!

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, guys. (Now I'm tearing up, but it's good tears, not bad ones.)

TLoRu -- cool! You'll be farther north than I am, here in the capital region. But I love being upstate. Sometimes, I almost forget that I was born and raised in Brooklyn.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    You don't have to be doing the Whole30 to stick around here with us, Jackie. It feels like a little supportive community here and you are a big part of it, as well as the instigator, of course. Good on you for understanding that you need some more carbs. And, having passes through peri-menopause and on to the big M itself, I can relate to the roller-coaster ride. All the best to you!

CaveCanem is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    You don't have to be doing the Whole30 to stick around here with us, Jackie. It feels like a little supportive community here and you are a big part of it, as well as the instigator, of course. Good on you for understanding that you need some more carbs. And, having passes through peri-menopause and on to the big M itself, I can relate to the roller-coaster ride. All the best to you!
    I vote for Jackie sticking around too. Everyone has to take care of themselves. I say go with what you can do long term, not with an approach that stresses you out. No guilt!

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    CaveCanem, I would definitely take a cooler and do the best you can, if you just stay away from junk, you'll be fine.

I sure hope Jackie is feeling better; she's been on my mind.

Yesterday I had black coffee, eggs and bacon for bkfast. BAS w/chicken for lunch, baked salmon, boiled cabbage wedge and carrots for supper, also a few olives & a slice of cantaloupe.

I can confidently post today's since I feel like screwing up is behind me now. Just had a fabulous omelet with squash, broc, onions and red pepper, so dang good it was sinful. Lunch will be pork chop, leftover cabbage & carrots, steak on grill tonite w/salad. Slice of watermelon and olives with one of those meals.

It truly amazes me that I don't have to have snacks in between meals. I used to snack all day.

LeaB is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I sure hope Jackie is feeling better; she's been on my mind.
    me too, I wish her the best and hope she pops back to let us know how she is doing.

It truly amazes me that I don't have to have snacks in between meals. I used to snack all day.
    I feel the same way! I thought I was pretty good before, but now that I have given up the 'just a square of chocolate' whenever I felt like it (rationalization that it is 85% and approved) then I went to dates and nuts for the substitute, and it was the same attitude. NOW I have decided to give up all snacking, and have done so for 4-5 days I think, and I am now finding that when I notice I am hungry, that it is almost time for a meal and I just wait. Somewhere I remember reading that when you want to snack, you tell yourself that you won't starve to death before your next meal time and you CAN wait, I find that pretty useful, because I am usually not THAT hungry, just starting, but I wait so that I don't signal my body that I am eating. I will drink some water or black coffee and wait. The problem is when there is not a good plan or enough ingredients to make a good meal, so key to it all as we all know, is to keep the right things stocked in the house. My new best friend is canned salmon, and canned chicken. I kinda forgot about those things, and I am struggling to keep enough protein cooked in the fridge for the panic dinners, so that is a great thing to have on hand.

I have to admit my transgressions over the weekend. Went to a party and had a few (five) drinks over the course of the night. I felt pretty terrible the next morning both physically and mentally, and still feel bad mentally. Wondering WHY I had to go so far? Why not two? so, I hate that I did that, and wonder how much I set myself back?

Here's to better choices at the next party. Any words of wisdom on how to handle the pressure and avoiding drinking is appreciated.

Page 42 of 55 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast