Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole 30 for June page 39

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I haven't been feeling amazing, but that might be because I've been sick for 5 weeks with some stupid allergy/sinus crap that has me coughing all the time. It finally pulled a muscle in my rib, so I went to the dr. She gave me a Zpack to kill the sinus crap. Not sure if it's working or not so she called in another Rx for me and said to wait til Sunday to try it. We'll see how I feel on Sunday. Maybe once this crap is gone I'll feel that boundless energy everyone is talking about.

I love having a Paleo doctor. My one chiropractor is actually the one who introduced me to Paleo. I follow my doctor on Facebook and noticed she was giving it a shot. Asked her a few questions as she went on and she liked it but got off track while on vacation and hasn't really gotten back on yet. I learned my other chiropractor is Primal after telling him about my switch. It's really quite awesome!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if I'm going to be toughing this out. I've been fending off depression for a while (I used to be on meds, and I really don't want to go back on them), and I thought that going Whole 30 would help. But today has been horrible -- crying, melancholy, no energy, not wanting to leave the house (or get up from the sofa). I know I'm eating too much fruit (and nuts), but everything that I've been reading about depression seems to point to fruits (and veggies) being helpful, not harmful.

Sigh. I dunno, guys. I just don't know.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Day 15: B: 3 slices bacon, 2 eggs and spinach fried in bacon fat, coffee with CM. L: 4 mini cukes and an avocado, about 2:30. S: Store-bought roasted chicken (it wasn't very good) - part of one thigh and part of one breast. Rapini sauteed in ghee. About a dozen local strawberries. Eve: tea.

Halfway through, gang! We're doing great!

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    JackieKessler:

Take a good look at this site: Evolutionary Psychiatry
    There are a ton of posts on depression. 30 days is really not enough to help with depression. You need to make sure you're getting enough nutrients over the long-term. Ditch anything that will interfere with nutrient absorption (NUTS!) and make sure to get enough vitamin d (preferably from the sun, as i've been hearing a lot of buzz that supplements don't exactly work so well). Depression is tough, but it can be helped with diet, just like any other condition. I stress, make sure you're getting all your vitamins and minerals. Eat lots of egg yolks, organ meats, bone broths, etc. You can make it, you just might have to tough out a few rotten weeks to get there. But try to avoid drugs unless you literally can't get yourself out of bed because you're so depressed (and of course, if you're having any ideas of hurting yourself, etc.)

And also look into NAC! Apparently it is very helpful for depression (boosts glutathione production)!

Thanks, Ann1217. I'll check out the site -- and I had no idea that nuts could interfere with nutrient absorption.

Nuts have tons of phytates, often more than certain grains! Unless properly prepared (soaked), they're chock full of anti-nutrients. Even if soaked, they're not exactly ideal.

Hmm. Aside from almond butter, the nuts that I usually eat are raw macadamias -- and I found that "macadamia nuts are very low in phytic acid content because they don't have a bran covering (the brown outer layer like in almonds), which is what contains the anti-nutrients to prevent animals from eating them" [From: For more Paleo Diet hacks: Phytic Acid in Macadamias? - PaleoHacks.com Phytic Acid in Macadamias? - PaleoHacks.com ]

Sigh. Maybe it's just me.

Edited to add: Maybe the combination of the macadamias AND the coconut milk have been tipping the balance. Starting tomorrow, I'll rein in the nuts and CM and see if there's any noticeable difference over the week. Thanks again, Ann.

Yes, you're right, and it definitely depends on the type of nut (this is an interesting post: Phytic Acid: taking off the paleo blinders | Melissa McEwen's on food anthropology, economics, and culture)

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Supplements I take currently to work on my depression/anxiety include

D3 (started at 1,000 IU, but have increased slowly to 4,000 IU)
    Cod Liver Oil (3 capsules daily)
    B12 (doesn't matter how much you take. If you take more than you need, you pee the excess out)
    Sellenium (400 mcg)

For other things, like adrenals, I take the following:

Stress Tab + iron
    Calcium (1200 units)
    Vitamin C (1000 units)

sadly, the vitamin C did not prevent the sinus infection I'm fighting.

My depression/anxiety is pretty well controlled right now. to give you an idea of the level of depression I had, I got kicked out of the army for post partum depression with panic episodes. A psychiatrist recently told me I have signs of PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) caused by being called up for deployment when my son was 3 months old (he's 5 now).

Less than 6 months ago, I had suicidal fantasies brought on by Adderall XR which my psychiatrist says is not a known side effect.

Anyhow, today I take my anti-depressant only every 3 days. I went from 50 mg of lexapro to 25 mg every third day.

Maybe some of these supplements can help you too.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 06-15-2012 at 08:45 PM.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast