Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Done with Insanity page 2

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    So I thought that I'd give Insanity a go -- yes, I know, chronic cardio. But I thought it would up my endurance in tae kwon do. Well, after 15 days, yes, my endurance has gone up -- but so has my weight and my inches. And I still don't look forward to the workouts. Meh. Done. All done. On the bright side, now when I sprint, it really shouldn't be any problem.

Back to TPB for fitness. Will go walking later, and will call my gym to see if any of the instructors there are willing to private weightlifting lessons.

I guess the insanity has passed...
    P90X, Insanity and Similar Nonsense | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. Interesting read. Looking forward to my first weightlifting session next week!

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Thanks. Interesting read. Looking forward to my first weightlifting session next week!
    Good luck!

optimalex - YouTube

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Thanks!

Davidryan is offline Junior Member
    I really admire your posts which are great source of valuable and informative stuff which i believe would be really helpful not only for me but also for other people here . I also have joined Gym for workout to boost my muscles but there is some irregularity in my workout due to some work at home .

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, Mark's posts on Insanity and P90X pretty much cover it all. The main problem is, as with anything mass-produced to try to hook as many people as possible, it doesn't take into account that different people need different stimulus in order to get optimal results. It is definitely a lot of Chronic Cardio, and the progression isn't really a smart one. It also can lead to quick burnout with all the plyometrics taking a major toll on your central nervous system.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

llong is offline Junior Member
    I do Insanity but only 3 days a week. I love the muscle tone it has given me but find my middle-aged muscles really need to rest a day in between. I will do lighter exercise like walking or swimming on the other days.

Also, even though i have been doing it for almost a year, I never moved to the second set of workouts (month 2) the fisrt set resulted in excellent muscle development all over my body and I feel strong and fit. whenever I try to move to the second set, I feel like I am going beyond what is suitable for my body. Month 2 goes from 40-60 min of High Intensitiy Interval Training. So I figure, why push myself to exhaustion when I am happy with the reults I have seen from the month 1 workout set.

What are the results - I have not lost weight but my weight was not bad to start. I am a 5'3" middle-aged mom of two who has always been relatively fit and a bit rounded but not overweight. I have built muscle and toned all over. I feel strong and fit. Even my arms which have never before shown any sign of muscle now show some bicep development when I flex.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    @js290: Very much enjoyed your link. Another fitness bookmark from someone that gets it.Thanks!

So as to not repeat what the link said, I will make a point I am a broken record about to my friends and training partners....
    Exercise regimens that blow through glycogen are the enemy.
    What I mean is that things like doing an hour of spinning, 40 minutes of Insanity, or some workouts of Crossfit, all of these are glycogen killers. Obviously, all workouts use muscle glycogen (just a chain of glucose stored in muscle and liver), but these deplete it to a point that causes extreme soreness. What it creates is a very strong response to refill that glycogen.

And for most of your Everyman trainees, this is a kiss of death....because it makes sticking to their diet VERY hard to do. In short, your body is saying "We just lost all of our reserves in our legs/chest/arms in case a bear comes after us. We are screwed unless we fill this, right now!" The result, for most that aren't extremely disciplined in their diets (which, let's be honest, aren't generally doing these programs to begin with), is the carb binge. It is like Mr. Sisson's example in TPB of the woman that does the spinning, only to blow it away with a "smoothie"....these kind of workouts necessitate that kind of loss of discipline. To NOT go and eat the most high-energy food you can takes a lot of fortitude, and becomes nearly impossible for real trainees doing this kind of time-wasting 5-6x weekly.

It's at least 80% diet. Abs are made in the kitchen....we all know the cliches. I think that any workout program that makes the diet so markedly harder to stick to should be thrown out. I have found that a 30-40min, reverse-pyramid, max out compound lifting program does not cause this toll on the diet. I can resist my want of eating an entire pizza a little easier. Throw in a lot of hiking and I am good to go

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12