Thread: Couldn't sprint!? page

Xeronimo is offline Member

Couldn't sprint!?

Primal Fuel
    Hi there,

Some background info first: I'm 37, 1m77, 70 kg (5ft10, 154lbs). I've been eating primal for a little bit over a month now (lost 3 kgs) and started with PBF three weeks ago. Last week I did my first sprint session (6x15s), I was exhausted but fine. Today I wanted to do my sprints again. I jogged for 10 minutes to warm up my muscles and then started sprinting but I had to stop after two steps because the front muscles in my upper leg (don't know the name) hurt like hell. I couldn't sprint. So I jogged for 20 more minutes ...

I guess it's because of the squats? I'm still at level one there (level 2 with the others) and the no 40-40 are still kind of hard to do.

The same leg muscles hurt (more than normal) when I was stretching now.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Jerome

No one have an idea what I did wrong for it to hurt so much?

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Did you do any dynamic stretches before and do deep stretches afterwards. If you are new to sprinting, you should warm up your muscles before and stretch after. Give it a couple of days before you try again. Do some dynamic stretches daily and walking. Were you wearing shoes or barefooting? I would think that squats could affect it also.

Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    Did you do any dynamic stretches before and do deep stretches afterwards. If you are new to sprinting, you should warm up your muscles before and stretch after. Give it a couple of days before you try again. Do some dynamic stretches daily and walking. Were you wearing shoes or barefooting? I would think that squats could affect it also.
    Hi, thanks for answering! Well, I didn't stretch before, I thought the 10 minute jog would be enough to prepare my legs? And the first time I did the sprint routine (last week) everything was fine (ok, except some soreness because I hadn't sprinted in years).

I walk about half an hour on a daily basis, so it's not like I'm totally out of shape?

I ran in Vibrams, I've been using them for several weeks now. Love them!

Metric is offline Senior Member
    It could be as simple as it was the first time sprinting in the Vibrams or not fully stretching before. It's hard to be sure what the cause is. If it's still bothering you in a few days, you might want to get it checked out or go for deep tissue massage.

pace2race is online now Senior Member
    If it's your quadriceps that are hurting that's typically cause by over striding. Usually on downhills. If you're doing half squats that would be stressing them also. The warm up run is a perfect primer for sprints. Don't do hard, static stretches prior to running. You'll be more apt too injure yourself. Work the sore muscles out by rolling yourself over a foam roller or I just use a 4" diameter PVC pipe. Work the side of the legs the same way from the hip to the knee to keep the IT Band lose. Lightly stretch or massage roll the calf and bottoms of your feet. The stick is good for that. Muscles are connected. Tightness in one area can result in pain elsewhere.
    Last edited by pace2race; 05-29-2012 at 05:14 PM.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeronimo View Post
    Hi there,

Some background info first: I'm 37, 1m77, 70 kg (5ft10, 154lbs). I've been eating primal for a little bit over a month now (lost 3 kgs) and started with PBF three weeks ago. Last week I did my first sprint session (6x15s), I was exhausted but fine. Today I wanted to do my sprints again. I jogged for 10 minutes to warm up my muscles and then started sprinting but I had to stop after two steps because the front muscles in my upper leg (don't know the name) hurt like hell. I couldn't sprint. So I jogged for 20 more minutes ...

I guess it's because of the squats? I'm still at level one there (level 2 with the others) and the no 40-40 are still kind of hard to do.

The same leg muscles hurt (more than normal) when I was stretching now.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Jerome
    Dr. Mercola Interviews Doug McGuff about High Intensity Exercise - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by pace2race View Post
    If it's your quadriceps that are hurting that's typically cause by over striding. Usually on downhills. If you're doing half squats that would be stressing them also. The warm up run is a perfect primer for sprints. Don't do hard, static stretches prior to running. You'll be more apt too injure yourself. Work the sore muscles out by rolling yourself over a foam roller or I just use a 4" diameter PVC pipe. Work the side of the legs the same way from the hip to the knee to keep the IT Band lose. Lightly stretch or massage roll the calf and bottoms of your feet. The stick is good for that. Muscles are connected. Tightness in one area can result in pain elsewhere.
    Ok, thanks!