Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell me why sprints are better page 3

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigigaw View Post
    HOLY CRAZY SUCCESS-STORY, BATMAN!

Way to go on the huge health leaps, Skorpion!
    **blinks**

am i reading that right? over 100 pounds in less than 5 months? WOW!!!
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    **blinks**

am i reading that right? over 100 pounds in less than 5 months? WOW!!!
    Thanks!
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    are you just eating air and broccoli? jeebus! that is astounding! you must feel like superman!
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    are you just eating air and broccoli? jeebus! that is astounding! you must feel like superman!
    Haha, I'm actually not a fan of broccoli. I'll choke it down on occaision though. I'm more partial to a nice fatty piece of meat.

And yes, I do feel like Superman! Way more energy, and I just feel "good" in general.
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

bemental is offline Member

Swimming

Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Sprints are probably the only PB rule I no longer follow. Whether I did sprints outside, treadmill or did intervals on the stair-mill at high speed, they all would aggravate my piriformis syndrome. I can see how sprints are important and probably healthy, but if it hurts, then it's not worth it.
    Did you happen to try swimming? I find that I seriously max out my muscles well before I get out of breath when conducting my sprints in the pool (horizontal body positioning, water cooling the body, etc).

While my knowledge of piriformis syndrome isn't great, you can absolutely swim various strokes or sprint without using your legs... not to mention merely "running" in the shallow end will provide plenty of resistance for you to get something out of the sprints.

Merely a suggestion!

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Sprinting is so much better because I refuse to run endlessly..

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Laughing out loud at the thought of "sprinting like an enraged hippo". Oh my god.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

bemental is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    Laughing out loud at the thought of "sprinting like an enraged hippo". Oh my god.
    Boom.

mattconway is offline Member
    Do you want to look like a sprinter, or a marathoner?

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveWeirdo View Post
    I've been running for 3 months and am still overweight so am easing into it slowly. After reading up on proper sprinting technique I started to cut out my longer runs and concentrate on doing shorter, faster sessions. I was regularly doing 3 and 5 kilometer trail runs before. I wouldn't say they were chronic cardio though, as I would always do them fartlek style - jogging a bit but mostly brisk walking. This week I've done 3 sessions of about 15 mins, where I walk a bit to warm up, sprint like an enraged hippo for about 70 meters, then walk till I've gotten my breath back, sprint again, etc.

My thinking behind this is to do with muscle fibers. To become good at sprinting, you do sprints to turn your neutral fibers into fast-twitch ones. Too much long distance running will turn them into slow-twitch fibers. I would like to be fast and bulky rather than being like a typical slim marathoner.

I feel kind of smug for running faster than the skinny joggers on my run, then letting them catch me up again when I walk/stagger with a red face while recovering from each sprint. I get the feeling that I must be doing the right thing for my health and for becoming faster, because sprinting feels hard. Hard in a good way of course, but still, much harder than doing a long, slow run. (If you don't think sprinting is hard, try doing it while carrying an extra 90lbs of flab!)

It's still difficult to get my head around though. My body feels knackered after my run today but my mind is still going - 'Surely running less than 3 miles per week isn't enough? Surely less than 15 minutes isn't a real exercise session?' Please share any evidence, anecdotal or scientific, for why sprinting is actually an awesome lifestyle hack, and not just wishful thinking?
    You hit it right on the head. I've done both long distance and sprinting at competitive level - the training involved to be good at either is completely different. My body lends itself more towards sprints, that's for sure. I can pick up speed and power very fast, but my endurance is lacking :P
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast