Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low fat chicken breast recipes page

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

Low fat chicken breast recipes

Primal Fuel
    So I'm going to go a little more serious with my cut and dialing back the fat a bit more to save calories. I purchased like 10lbs of chicken breast to help with this. Is there a way to make these not taste/feel like dry sock in my mouth? I've been giving them 5 min. frying on each side and I feel like this will get old quick.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    So I'm going to go a little more serious with my cut and dialing back the fat a bit more to save calories. I purchased like 10lbs of chicken breast to help with this. Is there a way to make these not taste/feel like dry sock in my mouth? I've been giving them 5 min. frying on each side and I feel like this will get old quick.
    Yeah, add fat.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    If you cook them to 145, they should not be dry. I often bake whole chicken breasts in a low (~250F) oven until my probe thermometer registers 145. If they are still dry, you can try brining them, but all chicken I've gotten from the grocery store has been pre-brined (can't wait to get some fresh chicken from a farm).

Also, a good flavor combo that I used recently on chicken breast is chili powder, garlic, and lime. You could also put curry seasoning on them. The possibilities are endless since chicken breast is basically a blank canvas.

katemary is offline Senior Member
    poaching in stock and spices. I know some of this, espescially if you go for soy and make a master stock, is not primal, but only a very limited amount would actually infuse the breast. try googling poached chicken recipes.

Pity you bought breasts, cooking with the bones is so much tastier, even if it is fiddlier ti deconstruct later.

Hm poaching might help me finish off the miso in my fridge. Thanks for the idea.

js: I know that it does, but this is for my workout days right after training, and I'm trying to keep fat pretty low compared to in the past where I'd consume 100/150/150 right after working out.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I quite often like to make chicken kebabs with chicken breast cut into strips, and put in a marinade of the juice of a lime, a stick of lemongrass chopped finely, a couple of cloves of crushed garlic, about an inch of fresh ginger (which I peel and put through the garlic crusher, too - works a treat) and a bit of olive oil. Make sure it's all covered, then cover and put in the fridge for 30 mins or so, thread on to the kebab sticks and grill until cooked through. Delicious with a tangy salad or on a bed of cauliflower rice with chopped coriander/cilantro leaves mixed through it. This works really well with prawns/shrimp, too, by the way.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    js: I know that it does, but this is for my workout days right after training, and I'm trying to keep fat pretty low compared to in the past where I'd consume 100/150/150 right after working out.
    If you're not hungry after working out, don't eat. However, if you're trying for some optimal protein timing, then just have an egg. It doesn't take that much protein to keep protein synthesis going. Meal timing for protein synthesis may be more important for older people than for younger people.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I put about a tsp of ghee and EVOO ea in a TFAL skillet, heat on med for a couple of mins, take 2-3 breasts, thawed and pat very dry w/paper towel, rub thoroughly with org black pepper, onion & garlic powder, put in pan and let brown a bit, (turn up heat just a little once breasts are in) brown for about 2-3 minutes on each side, pour about a tsp each of org soy sauce on each breast, cover pan and turn down heat to low, cook about 15 mins while you prepare a salad and set table.. When time is nearly up, put a few handfuls of org baby spinach on top of chicken, put lid back on top for a couple of mins, spinach will wilt and add some fabulous moisture to pan, take lid off and turn up heat until liquid is rich, turn breasts over while sauce thickens. Grate some parm over spinach - absolutely delish.

Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    If you're not hungry after working out, don't eat. However, if you're trying for some optimal protein timing, then just have an egg. It doesn't take that much protein to keep protein synthesis going. Meal timing for protein synthesis may be more important for older people than for younger people.
    I just want to eat enough protein to keep hunger at bay. I like my fasting schedule, and it'd be really annoying to eat shitty, expensive foods downtown where I work if I get hungry because I didn't eat my 100+ g protein after training the night before.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    if you want to go specifically low fat for a meal with chicken breast, you can add pico de gallo (finely diced tomato, onion and cilantro) on top, or actual salsa, or just lemon/lime juice. personally, i think you can dial back on the fat content, while still cooking with fat. i would cook them suckers in butter or something. just don't go ridiculous 'i never eat carbs' style.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast