Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mom found out I went on a fast... AND FREAKED page

BeatlesFan is offline Member

Mom found out I went on a fast... AND FREAKED

Primal Fuel
    Hi all, I'm a 23 year old male who has been eating primally for a couple of weeks and perfectly healthy other than being about 15 lbs overweight, in other words I feel I am the perfect canidate for fasting. The last time I ate was Friday the 25th at 8 pm - cashews (side question: are these primal?). I decided to try water fasting for a couple of reasons. First I wanted to see if I had the willpower. Also I wanted to lose weight and experience the myriad of health benefits that fasting can provide. Anyways I texted my mom about it cuz she texted me first and asked how I was doing, so I just told her, maybe hoping to get some support (such a bad idea wish I wouldn't have said anything). She called me, I ignored the call. Immediately called me back so I had no choice but to answer. She bombarded me with a bunch of questions then began imploring that I eat. I tried to explain what I was doing was extremely HEALTHY (ive put so much research into fasting, bored while fasting best thing to do is read about fasting :P). Anyways she began to threaten me with all sorts of BS and began crying (talk about a guilt trip! ). Really I do not want to break my fast, I've made it 3 days and I feel fine and whenever I think about all its doing it just makes me want to continue. How do I handle this situation? I've tried explaining that it is healthy but it is like arguing with a religious person, no amount of evidence to the contrary can make them change what they WANT to believe.

HELP

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Just tell her you have decided to fast for religious/spiritual reasons... (research a valid sounding religious reason to provide upon being asked)
    For some reason people don't argue with that. *shrug*
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

pfair143 is offline Member
    I'm a mom. EAT!

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Just tell her you have decided to fast for religious/spiritual reasons... (research a valid sounding religious reason to provide upon being asked)
    For some reason people don't argue with that. *shrug*
    My mom knows I'm 100% atheist and when she asks me to get more "spiritual" I mockingly reply "but I don't believe in ghosts"

Although cori I still very much appreciate you taking the time to try and help me out, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pfair143 View Post
    I'm a mom. EAT!
    Again I thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post but.............. in a nutshell this is the problem I described, not a solution!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeatlesFan View Post
    My mom knows I'm 100% atheist and when she asks me to get more "spiritual" I mockingly reply "but I don't believe in ghosts"

Although cori I still very much appreciate you taking the time to try and help me out, Thanks!
    Sorry about that.. it's just one of the tried and trues.
    You could use it as logic still...
    People do fast for religious/spiritual reasons all of the time and are fine/do no harm.

I'm a mom too... of a 19yr old. I would NOT ever try to command him to eat unless it was a fast of serious 'hunger strike' proportions and he was below a normal body weight.

Good luck.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    You're 23. Hang up if she can't be rational and civil.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    You're 23.
    Agreed. This was my first reaction. I have a very close relationship with my mother but generally diet doesn't come up in random conversations. Now you know how she'll react to this kind of thing. You are in control of the situation. If you speak with her and she brings it up, you can choose to talk about it or tell her that it's no longer something you wish to speak with her about and then talk about something else.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    If you're staying hydrated, you're no worse off than not eating for 3 days because of a stomach bug.

But whether its healthy or not, you're a big boy, and you should know what would send your momma into a tizzy. You don't TEXT her something like that and expect her not to react. You've become an 'expert' on PB and fasting because you've been doing it for 2 weeks? And now you want to add yourself to the long list of people who come here looking for advice on how to change their family members' minds?

no amount of evidence to the contrary can make them change what they WANT to believe.
    I think you answered your own question.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just send her the links to Mark's fasting series.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast